PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else worried about the lack of catching depth in the organization?

Redsfan320
03-06-2010, 07:46 PM
At this point Hanigan's looking questionable, Hernandez is clearly not a long term guy and beyond that... who? Castillo doesn't appear to be an MLB bat, Meseraco hasn't really amounted to much, and we don't really have much else. Corky's not gonna be around much longer and hit any good at all (although I'm still a fan), and Denove and Yarbrough don't seem like they'll ever be in the Bigs, so WHO IS THIS TEAM'S FUTURE CATCHER?? If you say Hanigan, then who's the back-up catcher?? Catching is pretty thin in the majors as a whole, but I think the Reds should try to trade a few prospects for a decent, proven, young long-term catcher. Maybe even...

ALONSO/ WIETERS straight-up OR (if Baltimore wouldn't go for that)-

ALONSO, HANIGAN/ WIETERS

Check out Wieters' #s: .288/.340/.412, 9 HR, 43 RBI, .753 OPS, .330 wOBA, 28 BB, 86 K, in 354 AB, in 96 G, batting form the 4th, 6th, 7th, and 8th spots (although more than half of his games were from the 8th spot) in his 1st year. Not great, but solid, and is only gonna get better at 23.

How I see it, everyone's talking about Alonso being blocked by Votto, and I've pointed out our lack of catching depth, so it works out perfectly if the O's would go for it.

WHATCHA THINK???

Redsfan320
03-06-2010, 09:07 PM
Come on, 20 views and no posts. Was it something I said?

AdamDunn
03-06-2010, 09:12 PM
Let me just say that if the O's did either one of those trades, their GM should be fired and owner replaced.

Revering4Blue
03-06-2010, 09:22 PM
Castillo doesn't appear to be an MLB bat

You may well be correct, but this is too small a sample size.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/8342

everyone's talking about Alonso being blocked by Votto

The scouting report says that Yonder Alonso(notes) can only play first base. But with Joey Votto(notes) there, Alonso is willing to try to prove the scouts wrong.

“I’ll do whatever I can to get on the field,” he said. “Give Joey a day off. Give Scottie (Rolen) a day off. Play left a day. I understand,” Alonso said. “Joey’s probably the best player on this team. But it’s a long season. He’s got my support.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AvzIZHQGvya4COqSKCMyrgKFCLcF?slug=teamre ports-2010-mlb-cin&prov=sportsxchange&type=team_report

I think the Reds should try to trade a few prospects for a decent, proven, young long-term catcher.

Not a bad idea, but not Alonso, at least at this point.

ian_madden
03-06-2010, 11:08 PM
Finding a 1st baseman that can hit isn't nearly as hard as it is to find a good young catcher. I don't see us getting a good to great young catcher for Alonso. Now if we were to throw in a couple young arms, or a veteran arm... thats a different story. But then again I like the idea of having a stockpile of young arms better than having 1 good young catcher.

Ghosts of 1990
03-07-2010, 12:15 AM
Orioles wouldn't trade Wieters for anyone we have. Good catchers who can hit are like franchise QB and aces. They're aren't a ton of them around. I've been waiting on us to draft our 'can't miss' catcher for a long time now. Thought mesoroco was going to be a stud but he is a never will be. How about Dane sardinah? He was another next big thing who never lived up. We have been living off stop gaps like taubensee, Ross, Valentin, now Ramon hernandez for a decade now. Time to maybe address it

Kingspoint
03-07-2010, 01:05 AM
No.

Redsfan320
03-07-2010, 07:57 AM
So no one thinks there's any way we could get Wieters?

What about a bigger deal CENTERED around

HARANG, ALONSO/ WIETERS, but with more prospects from us?

Vottomatic
03-07-2010, 08:54 AM
Plenty of time to trade for an up and coming catcher.

This team is on the verge. And this season is THE SEASON where many of our top prospects, who are on the verge, will show us what they got. Our Triple A team is going to be like a Quadruple A team. A roster full of guys who could be in the majors.

All this starting pitching depth pretty much assures that if the Reds aren't quite in contention at the trading deadline that Harang and Arroyo will be gone.

Leake, Wood, Maloney, and Chapman are all in contention. Cueto, Bailey, and hopefully a recovering Volquez make the future of our starting pitching rotation interesting.

BLEEDS
03-07-2010, 02:14 PM
Yes.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

flash
03-07-2010, 09:43 PM
it is definitely a concern at least until September. hannigan is good defensively, but last year was a real learning experience for him. since he doubled many times in the minors as a first baseman/ DH he probably caught more games than he had ever done before. Baker rode him hard. He just isn't durable enough to be an everyday catcher. I really like him, but he needs to be platooned.

Hernandez is very good also, but his durability is a question mark too.

There is some hope in the minors. Coddington did well with the Dragons. he was also fading at the end though.

manz was a nice surprise at Billings. Like I said earlier I believe both will pass Merasco this year.

Then there is the player to be named later in the Rosales deal. The A's have a slew of good young catchers. There is talk of bringing up Johanson which means Powell might be avalible. Then ther is also Stassi, a highly rated prospect in the Rookie league, and a guy named Carter who batted .300 this year.

GIDP
03-07-2010, 10:02 PM
Zero chance Baltimore trades Weiters.

gedred69
03-07-2010, 11:36 PM
Reds would have to add more than Alonzo to make that happen. (Still, there isn't any Joe Mauer's out there anyway). Notwithstanding, with the # of pitching prospects Reds have, maybe a chance... I've always thought Alonzo was future trade material for another big prospect that fit this team's needs. Won't happen too soon though, Reds have the luxury of making sure Votto is all that he can be before they pull that trigger. Besides, Coddington was very promising last year before he wore out.

gedred69
03-07-2010, 11:57 PM
On 2nd thought, the Reds find a way to jettison the contracts of Harang, Cordero, Arroyo, Rolen, Phillips, and sign Mauer!! (Nah, Ain't happenin'). Problem is, I wonder if Mauer will remain a Catcher for more than another 2, maybe 3 years. He's already showing signs of wear. For anyone who's had the opportunity to meet him, you know he's as nice a guy as there is in Baseball. I had the mis-fortune a few years ago of trading a young, attractive Twins fan my Joe Who? Bobblehead, for a Paul Molitor at Lee County Stadium at Spring Training......

bgwilly31
03-08-2010, 11:29 AM
At this point Hanigan's looking questionable, Hernandez is clearly not a long term guy and beyond that... who? Castillo doesn't appear to be an MLB bat, Meseraco hasn't really amounted to much, and we don't really have much else. Corky's not gonna be around much longer and hit any good at all (although I'm still a fan), and Denove and Yarbrough don't seem like they'll ever be in the Bigs, so WHO IS THIS TEAM'S FUTURE CATCHER?? If you say Hanigan, then who's the back-up catcher?? Catching is pretty thin in the majors as a whole, but I think the Reds should try to trade a few prospects for a decent, proven, young long-term catcher. Maybe even...

ALONSO/ WIETERS straight-up OR (if Baltimore wouldn't go for that)-

ALONSO, HANIGAN/ WIETERS

Check out Wieters' #s: .288/.340/.412, 9 HR, 43 RBI, .753 OPS, .330 wOBA, 28 BB, 86 K, in 354 AB, in 96 G, batting form the 4th, 6th, 7th, and 8th spots (although more than half of his games were from the 8th spot) in his 1st year. Not great, but solid, and is only gonna get better at 23.

How I see it, everyone's talking about Alonso being blocked by Votto, and I've pointed out our lack of catching depth, so it works out perfectly if the O's would go for it.

WHATCHA THINK???

Most people here are big hernandez fans. For what reason i have no idea.

I wouldnt be against a move like that at all.

Girevik
03-08-2010, 01:28 PM
Maybe I'm alone, but I'm not a big proponent of having an offensive stud at catcher. I'd rather have a decent bat who's a really good defensive catcher. It seems to me with all of the days off a catacher has to have, you're better off not having a guy who you rely on for a lot of your offense there.

improbus
03-08-2010, 08:22 PM
How about this stat? The Reds payed the 3rd highest percentage of the payroll on the Catcher position out of every team in baseball (9.49%) in 2009. The only two higher teams? The Twins (obviously, at 17%) and the Indians, who traded Victor mid-season. Wow. Also, the Reds probably had the least payroll balance of any team in the league.
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p4ew-fwu2XT2lWXJtUXCoYA

BLEEDS
03-08-2010, 08:59 PM
How about this stat? The Reds payed the 3rd highest percentage of the payroll on the Catcher position out of every team in baseball (9.49%) in 2009. The only two higher teams? The Twins (obviously, at 17%) and the Indians, who traded Victor mid-season. Wow. Also, the Reds probably had the least payroll balance of any team in the league.
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p4ew-fwu2XT2lWXJtUXCoYA
A little misleading don't you think? Considering we traded the albatross contract of TWO players - Freel and Farney - and Bmore actually kicked in some cache in the deal, it's hardly okay to count it all against the catcher position.
The total delta is about 2 mill or so, depending upon who you ask.

I still like Hernandez and all the intangibles he brings to the table - being a veteran, speaking spanish, etc., he can even play a little 1B in a pinch..

Of course we still need a long-term answer. Some thing Mesorasco has improved a lot behind the plate, but he still has yet to hit.

Methinks still that we need to trade for one with our surplus of OF/1B prospects to another team who has a surplus of young catching prospects.

PEACE

-BLEEDS