PDA

View Full Version : In honor of the Oscars- Best Baseball Movie

Eric_the_Red
03-07-2010, 02:46 PM
Baseball translates to cinema better than any other sport, IMO. I love a good baseball movie, and can watch it over and over again.

Which is your favorite?

Eric_the_Red
03-07-2010, 02:51 PM
I voted for Field of Dreams. I think it is one of the most original baseball stories, and truly is a reflection of what baseball means (meant?) to America and fans, rather than just what happens on the field.

Plus, no matter how many times I've seen it, I ALWAYS get something in my eye at the end. "Hey, dad....wanna have a catch?"

TheNext44
03-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Long Gone

An HBO movie about minor league ball in the 50's starring William Peterson and Virginia Madson and Dermot Mulroney. I think it's funnier, and more accurate than Bull Durham.

Very underrated baseball movie.

TheNext44
03-07-2010, 02:59 PM
I'd order the ones on the list above as follows:

Field of Dreams
Major League
The Natural
Bad New Bears
A League Of Their Own
Bull Durham

All of them are great movies if you love baseball.

George Anderson
03-07-2010, 03:00 PM
From the list I picked "Bad News Bears". Having coached baseball for many years that was a very accurate portrayal of LL baseball, at least during the 70's and 80's. Isn't that right Razor??

Two of my favorites not on the list are "Pride of the Yankees" and "The Rookie".

"Field of Dreams" and "The Natural" are two flicks I really don't get all starry eyed over like alot of baseball fans do.

RedsManRick
03-07-2010, 03:12 PM
I voted for Field of Dreams, but I would put Eight Men Out on the list.

Marc D
03-07-2010, 03:13 PM
"For the love of the game" should be in these conversations imo.

mth123
03-07-2010, 03:21 PM
Long Gone

An HBO movie about minor league ball in the 50's starring William Peterson and Virginia Madson and Dermot Mulroney. I think it's funnier, and more accurate than Bull Durham.

Very underrated baseball movie.

Loved Long Gone. I also like Pride of the Yankees better than any of those. Of the ones listed Major League for laughs, the Natural for the story, Field of Dreams for the emotion of it. Hated Bull Durham.

Mark me down for other I guess.

TheNext44
03-07-2010, 03:22 PM

The romance parts are almost intolerable in my opinion, but the baseball parts are some of the best ever. Great mixture of regular movie shots, with the scoreboard and TV feed.

:thumbup:

OnBaseMachine
03-07-2010, 03:28 PM
Field of Dreams. Absolutely love it. It's my favorite movie of all-time, and that includes non-baseball movies. I could watch it everyday. I have a tradition going where every year on the Saturday night before Opening Day I watch Field of Dreams. I have to admit, the ending always bring a tear to my eye.

Marc D
03-07-2010, 03:38 PM
The romance parts are almost intolerable in my opinion, but the baseball parts are some of the best ever. Great mixture of regular movie shots, with the scoreboard and TV feed.

:thumbup:

There are romance parts?

reds1869
03-07-2010, 03:42 PM
Field of Dreams gets my vote. I'm a big W.P. Kinsella fan and that movie is what got me hooked.

RedEye
03-07-2010, 03:43 PM
I voted for Field of Dreams, but I would put Eight Men Out on the list.

Yes, I voted for "Other" because of Eight Men Out.

Blitz Dorsey
03-07-2010, 04:19 PM
Sandlot needs to be on the list.

Caseyfan21
03-07-2010, 04:29 PM
Field of Dreams. Absolutely love it. It's my favorite movie of all-time, and that includes non-baseball movies. I could watch it everyday. I have a tradition going where every year on the Saturday night before Opening Day I watch Field of Dreams. I have to admit, the ending always bring a tear to my eye.

I always watch it the week before the season as well. Good stuff. :thumbup:

Guacarock
03-07-2010, 04:30 PM
I voted "Other," just so we could expand the discussion to other baseball movies not on this short list of nominees. Hey, if the lowly Oscars can have 10 Best Picture candidates, surely the Redszone pantheon is entitled to field a Baker's Dozen list of potential All-Time Best Baseball Movies. Here are 13 "oughtta been contenders."

1. Eight Men Out, because the Reds figure so prominently in the plotline.
2. Bang the Drum Slowly. Forget about the Yankees, and get out the hankies.
3. Bingo Long Traveling All-Stars and Motor Kings. As the tagline declares, "They put the ball in baseball."
4. Naked Gun. Kill the umpire! Long live the Queen!
5. The Sandlot. The kind of kids movie that ought to get made more often.
6. Baseball Bugs. Bugs Bunny singlehandedly whups the Gas-House Gorillas. Watch the You Tube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vheY65Y8Kmc
7. Pride of the Yankees. You can't beat the winning combination of Lou Gehrig and Gary Cooper.
8. Angels in the Outfield. Call me a sucker or a sap, I don't care. This fantasy tugs at the heartstrings. Prefer the Paul Douglas original over the Tony Danza remake.
9. Alibi Ike. Joe E. Brown at his screwball best in a vintage baseball yarn by Ring Lardner. There also was a sequel: Elmer the Great, but it's not as great.
10. Fear Strikes Out. Biography of Jimmy Piersall and his battle to play ball rather than succumb to battiness.
11. Safe at Home! OK, it's not in the same league as some of these others, but it sure made an impression on me as a kid to see Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle in a movie.
12. The Stratton Story. Jimmy Stewart brings to life Chicago White Sox pitcher Monty Stratton, a phenom struck down in his prime after losing his leg.
13. Pete Rose sings the joys of Aqua Velva. Oscar-worthy. If you don't believe me, judge for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eAs7DM6u_Q

MississippiRed
03-07-2010, 04:49 PM
Am I the only one who will fess up to voting for Major League? I love this movie for the quotes. My son and I were driving along one Sunday, and we probably spent 45 minutes sharing quotes from this movie. It's a generation gap closer!!

"What do you want me to do, dive for it?"

Hoosier Red
03-07-2010, 05:42 PM
Am I the only one who will fess up to voting for Major League? I love this movie for the quotes. My son and I were driving along one Sunday, and we probably spent 45 minutes sharing quotes from this movie. It's a generation gap closer!!

I voted for Major league too.

A big fan of 8 men out too, sort of like Hoosiers for baseball. Classic David beats Goliath story.

OldXOhio
03-07-2010, 05:45 PM

Sure, if you like chick flicks ;)

OldXOhio
03-07-2010, 05:47 PM
I love this movie for the quotes.

And that's about it for me. Don't get me wrong, the movie was great. I just think it was more of a comedy than a baseball movie.

OUReds
03-07-2010, 05:47 PM
13. Pete Rose sings the joys of Aqua Velva. Oscar-worthy. If you don't believe me, judge for yourself:

Having watched that, I really wish some things could be unseen.

Degenerate39
03-07-2010, 05:53 PM
For the love of the game

OldXOhio
03-07-2010, 05:53 PM
Having watched that, I really wish some things could be unseen.

I'm thinking Mel Sharples was worse than Pete.

GADawg
03-07-2010, 05:55 PM
I think i'll go "major league" also just because i love to laugh...could've gone for Bull Durham for the same reason

what was the name of the movie with the little kid pitching for the Cubs? My favorite character in any baseball movie came from that...Daniel Stern as the pitching coach was classic...."little help".."little help"

Benihana
03-07-2010, 06:02 PM
I think i'll go "major league" also just because i love to laugh...could've gone for Bull Durham for the same reason

what was the name of the movie with the little kid pitching for the Cubs? My favorite character in any baseball movie came from that...Daniel Stern as the pitching coach was classic...."little help".."little help"

You're thinking of Rookie of the Year.

IMO, Major League and Field of Dreams are head and shoulders above the rest of the field, and they are two completely different kinds of movies.

Another one that hasn't been mentioned is Talent for the Game. Definitely not in the same top tier class, but deserves mention nonetheless.

Guacarock
03-07-2010, 06:08 PM

That would be ROOKIE OF THE YEAR (1993).

OnBaseMachine
03-07-2010, 06:18 PM
I can't be the only one who liked Angels in the Outfield. That was a very good movie, IMO.

Ron Madden
03-07-2010, 06:59 PM
Of the six movies listed, Field of Dreams is my favorite followed closely by Bull Durham.

I think Kevin Costner does a great job in all of his baseball movies.

WMR
03-07-2010, 07:34 PM
Cobb

reds1869
03-07-2010, 09:03 PM
I voted for Field of Dreams above and love all of the movies mentioned (except For Love of the Game), but I'd like to toss Sugar into the mix as well. A beautifully moving film that captures the feel of baseball better than most movies Hollywood pumps out.

camisadelgolf
03-07-2010, 09:10 PM
If Sugar qualifies (there wasn't a whole lot of actual baseball in it), then that's the easy choice for me.

oneupper
03-07-2010, 09:25 PM
My vote is for "The Sandlot"

"You're killing me, Smalls"

Phhhl
03-07-2010, 11:23 PM
Fun post, but how can "Pride of the Yankees" and "Eight Men Out" NOT be included in the poll? Those two films would be one and two on my list, and "Major League" would be a distant third. "Field of Dreams" is a great movie if it is assumed that everyone is a left-leaning anti-establishment hippie. But it's barely even about baseball. I have to admit that I shed a tear every time Costner plays toss with his dad, though.

Always Red
03-07-2010, 11:38 PM
Put me down for: Bang the Drum Slowly

LoganBuck
03-07-2010, 11:47 PM
Where is "Mr. 3000"

RedEye
03-07-2010, 11:48 PM
No votes for Summer Catch? :)

TRF
03-08-2010, 12:30 AM
the scene in the managers office in Bull Durham may be the best ever. too much salty language to quote, but it makes the movie.

camisadelgolf
03-08-2010, 01:40 AM
Mr. Baseball might have deserved mention.

MWM
03-08-2010, 01:43 AM
Another vote for The Sandlot, but I also love The Natural.

I'm probably in the minority, but Field of Dreams just doesn't do it for me. It always seemed a little to corny for me (pun intended).

George Anderson
03-08-2010, 01:55 AM
I'm probably in the minority, but Field of Dreams just doesn't do it for me. It always seemed a little to corny for me (pun intended).

First time i saw it in the theater I walked out and thought it was a stupid movie. Next thing I know, all I hear is it was a baseball masterpiece. I think it comes down to peoples tastes, I really don't like fantasy type movies nor do I like movies with an underlying political agenda as was mentioned in a post above.

I would rather sit down and watch a movie based on facts like "Pride of the Yankees", "Cobb", or "Eight Men Out" rather than a fantasy movie.

Besides Joe Jackson hitting right handed in the flick loses all credibility with me immediately.

Captain Hook
03-08-2010, 02:30 AM
Had to go with Major League.While it's not the best Drama it is very funny.Most of all it reminds me of what baseball was to me growing up and and all the way through to my last year of playing the game.A bunch of guys putting there differences behind them and playing the game they love all the while having a great time doing it.

Mario-Rijo
03-08-2010, 02:49 AM
I disagree with anyone who thinks Major League is "just" a comedy. Chances are Major League is far more accurate a depiction of the bigs than given credit for. I think that is why it is so good, because it's believable but in a bit of an extreme way.

Major League
Eight Men Out
Bad News Bears
The Sandlot
Bull Durham
Major League 2

klw
03-08-2010, 07:29 AM
I happily voted for the Natural and it looks like I am the first to point out the nonlisted "The Rookie". While some parts drag I always enjoy the tryout, his walking into Arlington Stadium for the 1st time, and off course where he is so stunned by what the scout tells him that he wipes his face with the diaper.

dabvu2498
03-08-2010, 09:03 AM
Eight Men Out gets my vote.

bucksfan2
03-08-2010, 10:03 AM
1. For Love of the Game
2. Major League
3. Bull Durham
4. Sandlot
5. Field of Dreams

TheBurn
03-08-2010, 10:21 AM
61*

thatcoolguy_22
03-08-2010, 10:25 AM
other

Sandlot

RichRed
03-08-2010, 11:00 AM
So many good ones to choose from, but I find that "Eight Men Out" and "League of Their Own" are the most re-watchable. It's almost impossible for me not to watch those two when they're on TV.

Just a small step down from those: "Bull Durham" and "Sandlot"

Loved "Field of Dreams" at first but it gets a little cheesier each time I see it. Still very watchable though, and that last scene with Ray and his dad always gets me, despite my innate cynicism.

"61*", "Cobb", "Sugar" and "Pride of the Yankees" are also excellent.

RedEye
03-08-2010, 11:59 AM
I'm all for Major League and The Sandlot, but I don't get the love folks are giving to For the Love of the Game. I like Costner's other two baseball films a great deal, but thought the third installment was an unwatchable piece of dreck.