PDA

View Full Version : shoulder surgery

shan12stones
03-08-2010, 04:41 PM
Last month on the 17th i got dizzy all of a sudden.Well i ended up falling down some stairs near my apartment building.My shoulder was so messed up that i had to be taken to the hospital via ambulance.Also they could not get x rays untill they drugged me and tried to put my shoulder back in it's place.Well today i went back to the Dr to get it checked on.Now i'm told i need an MRI done.But from the x rays i had done today they tell me i need surgery done.I have an MRI this coming Saturday and see the dr again next week on Thursday.I was told i might have surgery as soon as next week.Has anyone had shoulder surgery here?How long did it take to recover?Do i really need someone to stay with me after surgery?I live on my own and don't get along with most of my family.My mom wants to come here and take care of me.But my apartment is not big enough for the both of us.Could use some prayers and advice.

SunDeck
03-08-2010, 04:57 PM
I had reconstructive surgery done on my left shoulder after several dislocations. I have two things to say:

1) Depending on what surgery you have, you may need someone to help you for a few days, or even a week. In my case, I was helpless for a week, feeling as though I'd been shot in the shoulder with a 12 gauge. Recovery and therapy time depends on several factors- what kind of surgery (rotator cuff repair, a minor scope of cartilage, reconstruction?), your age, your flexibility, your pain tolerance, etc. It won't be fun and no matter what the surgery is, I can guarantee the therapy will hurt, hurt, hurt.

2) Make very sure that shoulder surgery is really required. Get a second and third opinion. Trust me, you do not want to have shoulder surgery unless there is absolutely no other option. In fact, as a shoulder surgery veteran, if I had to do it all over again I am 100% positive that I'd tell my doctor to lay out all the options, with surgery being the last.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk more about this.

RedFanAlways1966
03-11-2010, 07:10 AM
Last month on the 17th i got dizzy all of a sudden.

I'd hope that the doctor is looking at the cause of the dizziness as well. That is concerning. If this happens while driving, this could cause other problems for yourself and/or someone else. Not normal to get dizzy and fall down stairs.

Good luck on the surgery. I am sure all will be okay in the end.

acredsfan
03-11-2010, 10:16 AM
I had surgery on my shoulder also, although it was far from common. One thing that I can tell you is shoulder surgery is considered one of the worst to go through just because of pain and recovery. As SunDeck said, there are many different factors that go into how it will go for you, but just remember that your shoulder is very intricate and one of the most used joints in your body. You will need help for at least a day or two. I was in the hospital for 2 nights after mine but again, it wasn't a common surgery, in fact I was the first person to receive this type of surgery.

If you do indeed have to have surgery, make sure you choose a good Orthopaedic doctor. Also, make sure you do everything they tell you to do after surgery including stretching at home when you start physical therapy.