PDA

View Full Version : Joe Nathan out for the year

TRF
03-09-2010, 09:53 AM
Torn ligament in his elbow.

Huge loss for the Twins.

membengal
03-09-2010, 09:57 AM
Matt Guerrier or Jon Rauch to the closer's role? A fantasy baseball crazed nation wonders. Not to mention Twins fans. But mostly a fantasy baseball crazed nation.

Tom Servo
03-09-2010, 09:57 AM
Considering Roenicke plays for Toronto, I don't like his chances.

TRF
03-09-2010, 10:00 AM
do'h. i knew that.

still, that's rough for the Twins. I think it has to be Rauch as the closer now.

Plus Plus
03-09-2010, 10:04 AM
Matt Guerrier or Jon Rauch to the closer's role? A fantasy baseball crazed nation wonders. Not to mention Twins fans. But mostly a fantasy baseball crazed nation.

ESPN is anointing Rauch as the closer for the Twins this year. Olney is reporting him as being their only option.

I wholeheartedly disagree as I think that Rauch is a bum. A 31 year old with a K/9 of like 7.3 that has seen a massive drop in the last couple years? Pass. I have a disdain for closers who pitch to contact just as much as I have a disdain for [most] soft-tossing closers.

TRF
03-09-2010, 10:10 AM
ESPN is anointing Rauch as the closer for the Twins this year. Olney is reporting him as being their only option.

I wholeheartedly disagree as I think that Rauch is a bum. A 31 year old with a K/9 of like 7.3 that has seen a massive drop in the last couple years? Pass. I have a disdain for closers who pitch to contact just as much as I have a disdain for [most] soft-tossing closers.

Rauch has never been a pitch to contact guy. Always had good K numbers until last year with the DBacks.

Eric_the_Red
03-09-2010, 10:11 AM

Funny, just yesterday on the Fantasy Focus podcast Olney said there is no set option, and Gardenhire would go with the hot hand.

Seems like Olney will be right, no matter what happens. :p:

Plus Plus
03-09-2010, 10:19 AM
Rauch has never been a pitch to contact guy. Always had good K numbers until last year with the DBacks.

But not what you want to see from your closer. Giving a guy with K/9 of 7.3 and coming off of a year of 6.3 is not the best plan, imo.

OnBaseMachine
03-09-2010, 10:23 AM
Ouch. Huge loss for the Twins. That's two straight years the Twins lost one of their top relievers to Tommy John Surgery prior to the season (Pat Neshek last year).

TRF
03-09-2010, 10:33 AM
But not what you want to see from your closer. Giving a guy with K/9 of 7.3 and coming off of a year of 6.3 is not the best plan, imo.

pheh. throw out his first three seasons. he was used as a starter then. As releiver he's usually 8+ for K/9 though he is coming off a down year. And he's one of those alternates good with bad years too.

He'll notch 30-35 saves if he's the guy.

Plus Plus
03-09-2010, 10:42 AM
pheh. throw out his first three seasons. he was used as a starter then. As releiver he's usually 8+ for K/9 though he is coming off a down year. And he's one of those alternates good with bad years too.

He'll notch 30-35 saves if he's the guy.

Wasn't he the guy in 2008 in Washington and only managed 17? Soria had 42 that year for the comparably pitiful Royals...

And I'm not trying to make this into a discussion on whether or not Rauch can succeed as a closer- I'm just not convinced that there are not a number of better candidates for the Twins' closer role that are currently on their 40 man roster.

TRF
03-09-2010, 10:55 AM
Well they did lose 99 games that year. He also had 8.2 K/9. they were flat awful. He did have 5 blown saves, but 4 wins. He also had relatively low WHIPs until last year.

I think he'll be fine. And I just added him to one of my fantasy teams.

Blitz Dorsey
03-09-2010, 11:11 AM
Am I the only one whose first reaction was "Glad I haven't had my fantasy baseball money league draft yet."

Oh, that was just me? My bad.

HeatherC1212
03-09-2010, 01:08 PM
Ouch, tough break for the Twins. I always like watching them play (Mauer and Morneau alone are awesome) and I hope they can find someone to take his place this year. :(

reds1869
03-09-2010, 01:45 PM
Am I the only one whose first reaction was "Glad I haven't had my fantasy baseball money league draft yet."

I came soooooo close to drafting him yesterday.

blumj
03-09-2010, 04:15 PM
If he wants to try to pitch this year, you'd think they might try that platelet rich plasma therapy. It sure seemed to work for Saito.

Blimpie
03-09-2010, 04:40 PM
Cue the Coco Cordero trade talks....

RedsManRick
03-09-2010, 04:52 PM

Not just you...

Though Rivera and Broxton's value both just went up. The closer market sure is shallow this year.

wally post
03-09-2010, 05:08 PM
...and Cordero's value as well.

Degenerate39
03-10-2010, 08:22 AM
If the Reds did trade CoCo could Nick Masset handle being the closer?

Blimpie
03-11-2010, 08:53 PM
If the Reds did trade CoCo could Nick Masset handle being the closer?I dunno, but you could shed an awful contract trying to learn the answer to that question.