PDA

View Full Version : Good News On Homer

texasdave
03-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Cincinnati's Homer Bailey struck out three in two scoreless innings. ``Homer looked outstanding,'' Baker said. ``He was controlling that outside of the plate, low and away. He had good tempo, good rhythm. He had good velocity. He threw some good breaking balls. He should be pleased with it.''

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/game/20100308/kansas_city-royals-vs-cincinnati-reds/300308117?type=recap

So far so good for Homer. Reds' rotation flashing some serious potential early.

mattfeet
03-09-2010, 11:03 AM
We're looking great thus far. I cannot wait!

-Matt

muddie
03-09-2010, 06:11 PM
How do you not pull for a pitcher named Homer!

gedred69
03-09-2010, 08:23 PM
All indications from the 2nd call-up last year to now, indicate Homer is becoming what we all hoped for. My question is: why did it take another Minor League Pitcher, to teach him the pitch that seems to be the difference maker?

ian_madden
03-10-2010, 11:22 AM
All indications from the 2nd call-up last year to now, indicate Homer is becoming what we all hoped for. My question is: why did it take another Minor League Pitcher, to teach him the pitch that seems to be the difference maker?

Who are you referencing?

I love Homer. I think he will be the opening day starter next year. If not its political. Homer is gonna be good for a long time, and hopefully its in a Reds uniform.

bigredmechanism
03-10-2010, 11:27 AM
I could be mistaken, but I think he was referring to Justin Lehr teaching him a splitter sometime during the 2009 season.

OGB
03-10-2010, 03:58 PM

This is becoming a pretty common misconception. Bailey as much as says so in an Enquirer article the other day

"Bailey picked up a new pitch midway through last year, a split-finger he learned in Louisville from teammate Justin Lehr. Bailey downplays the splitter’s impact on his late-season success.

“(Media) have made too much of that. I pitched a few good games where I only threw it three times.’’
The article in question
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100308/COL03/303080075/1007/col03/Daugherty++Homer+is+all+grown+up

texasdave
03-10-2010, 05:15 PM
Mike Leake and Travis Wood with two scoreless innings each today. They had identical lines:
2 IP 1H 0R 1BB 1K. For the spring Wood has tossed four scoreless innings giving up just one hit. Leake has work three scoreless inning giving up a lone hit as well. It's early but whoever gets the fifth spot is going to have to earn it this year.

texasdave
03-10-2010, 05:24 PM
Nice outing by Mike Lincoln today. Two scoreless and hitless frames while striking out two.

Griffey012
03-11-2010, 12:49 AM
This is becoming a pretty common misconception. Bailey as much as says so in an Enquirer article the other day

The article in question
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100308/COL03/303080075/1007/col03/Daugherty++Homer+is+all+grown+up

He also threw it to get out of some big jams, I remember him freezing Pujols with it in an early jam against the Cardinals, when we later pulled him and pitched to Pujols with a 3 run lead late in the game...and Stormy made it rain a grand slam.

The splitter may not have been used a ton every game, but it was definitely an available strike out pitch, which gives a pitcher a ton more confidence knowing he can bring it out if needed.

MBZags
03-11-2010, 01:35 AM
I've seen a couple outlets talk about Bailey's change in attitude this year, which I find kind of confusing. Last year, I remember Hal and Fay both talking about how much Bailey had matured and changed his demeanor.

That aside, I'm incredibly excited to see if Bailey can duplicate his performance down the stretch last season. If the Reds make any sort of run, they absolutely need a confident, pitch-efficient Bailey.

GIDP
03-11-2010, 10:18 AM
Hal McCoy took a hatchet to Homer every chance he got the last 3 years.

texasdave
03-11-2010, 10:38 AM

Yes, he did. Journalistic standards didn't mean all that much to Hal when it came to Homer Bailey.

gedred69
03-11-2010, 11:47 PM
Who are you referencing?

I love Homer. I think he will be the opening day starter next year. If not its political. Homer is gonna be good for a long time, and hopefully its in a Reds uniform.

Justin Lehr, taught Homer the splitter. Read the papers last year when Homer came back, and "got it"? Albeit, his 95+ velocity returned also....

gedred69
03-11-2010, 11:53 PM

The article in question

He can say whatever, but last season during his successful return, that was all everybody in the media talked about, and was likely what hitters had in mind when they faced him. Yes, velocity returned, but without the threat of something else, speed would not be enough.

Vottomatic
03-13-2010, 09:01 AM
Starting pitching:

Arroyo
Harang
Bailey
Cueto
Volquez

Chapman
Leake
Wood
Lehr
Maloney

What other team can boast an entire second group of major league starters?

Pony Boy
03-15-2010, 02:33 PM

I think that the Reds didnt want him to throw the splitter because of the stress it puts on the arm relative to other pitches. Only after Homer hit rock bottom, and there became a real question whether he would ever become a solid major leaguer, did they allowed him to start throwing it.

Kingspoint
03-15-2010, 06:10 PM
Homer was my preseason pick as the REDS' ACE of the staff this season, or....the starting pitcher who'll perform the best this season.

BLEEDS
03-15-2010, 11:19 PM
Chapman
Leake
Wood
Lehr
Maloney

Too many lefties in that group. These "Covington Blues" wouldn't fare so well against those Cincy Reds, they thrive on lefty pitching!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

ian_madden
03-15-2010, 11:22 PM
Ill take the Covington Blues!!!!! (I'm From Covington). Its kinda like the 96 UK Wildcats, they had a JV team that eventually won a national title as well.

Jr's Boy
03-16-2010, 02:27 PM

I'm glad that has been noted.Hal really seem to pour salt in the wound in regards to Homer in his articles.Was sickening.