PDA

View Full Version : Game Six

Boston Red
03-10-2010, 11:00 AM
I live in Boston (shocking I know given the handle), and I was on the subway this morning when I saw something very disturbing. One of my fellow passengers was reading a book called Game Six. Apparently, someone thought it was a good idea to write a whole book about a legendary game.....which of course turned out to be meaningless for the winning team (I guess it was about as close to a championship as they got for 100 years). I really wanted to ask the guy if he had read the sequel....Game Seven.

I think there is a whole generation of people who actually think Fisk's HR won the Series for Boston. A generation of people so bad at math that they think think it was about 100 years between 1976 and 2004 when the Sox finally actually won a World Series.

For my part, I have a nice conversation starter in my office: it's an artist's rendering of the Reds celebrating on the field at Fenway after winning Game Seven. Some people here really don't like that. I mean, REALLY don't like it!

bounty37h
03-10-2010, 12:58 PM
I get so annoyed by that homer being played over and over, and think your right, many people seem to forget it didn't win the series. IMO its the most overrated homer ever.

PhillipsHead
03-10-2010, 04:15 PM
It's actually kind of funny...to know how few people realize how insignificant that homer really was.

At the same time, I really wish they hadn't won a title since...because that would STILL be their 'highlight of the century' in everyone's minds.

CWRed
03-10-2010, 11:27 PM
If it's replayed or mentioned enough that must make it true. Just like politics. :D

joshua
03-11-2010, 06:08 AM
Red Sox fans clung to that so hard because it gave them hope that they'd actually win a championship, but it didn't. Their whole organization's origin is owed to Cincinnati, and then the Reds buried their ass right in the middle of Fenway. For the 29 years between 1975 and them finally winning, that home run is all they had.