PDA

View Full Version : New article today on Volquez on ESPN

REDblooded
03-10-2010, 02:29 PM
INsider stuff from Arangure. Just put out in todays blog. Nice article though about how Volquez is handling everything, and says that on Friday he'll throw 3 25-pitch sessions from 25 feet.

Found this line to be pretty funny...

On Tuesday, Volquez sat with Chapman in the Reds' clubhouse in Goodyear, Arizona, and watched on TV as Nationals prospect Stephen Strasburg made his much-anticipated debut on TV. Volquez "oohed" and "aahed" with each pitch.

Chapman asked, "Who is that?"

Volquez replied "It's Stephen Strasburg."

"Oh, you mean the guy who they gave all that money to?" Chapman said.

"What, like they didn't give a lot to you?" Volquez quipped.

Full Article: http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog?name=arangure_jorge_jr&id=4981933

SirFelixCat
03-10-2010, 02:54 PM
:lol:

Blitz Dorsey
03-10-2010, 04:16 PM
That is funny. So much was made of Strasburg's contract ... and Chapman is getting double. I'm glad EV playfully called him out on his BS. Sounds like the boys are already getting along pretty well, ribbing each other a little bit.

paulrichjr
03-10-2010, 04:27 PM
INsider stuff from Arangure. Just put out in todays blog. Nice article though about how Volquez is handling everything, and says that on Friday he'll throw 3 25-pitch sessions from 25 feet.

Actually I have insider so I read the article (Thanks for posting) and it said 120 feet not 25 feet.

OnBaseMachine
03-10-2010, 04:31 PM
Gotta love Volquez. I can't wait until he returns...he's a lot of fun to watch. I met him a couple different times at Redsfest - great dude, always smiling. I'm looking forward to his return.

MikeS21
03-10-2010, 04:36 PM
:D Not sure which is funnier, Volquez's line or the fact Chapman didn't know who Strasbug was! lol

BCubb2003
03-10-2010, 08:20 PM
Gotta love Volquez. I can't wait until he returns...he's a lot of fun to watch. I met him a couple different times at Redsfest - great dude, always smiling. I'm looking forward to his return.

In his interviews, Volquez always strikes me as being a sharp guy.

REDblooded
03-10-2010, 08:57 PM
Actually I have insider so I read the article (Thanks for posting) and it said 120 feet not 25 feet.

Yes... that's correct... goofed that one up.

Big Klu
03-10-2010, 10:30 PM
In his interviews, Volquez always strikes me as being a sharp guy.

I think I remember reading something when the Reds first acquired Volquez that he is pretty highly educated compared to most players from the Dominican Republic. School was a high priority in his family, and his folks made sure he got an education. (I think his mother may have been a teacher.)

REDblooded
03-11-2010, 01:08 AM
I think I remember reading something when the Reds first acquired Volquez that he is pretty highly educated compared to most players from the Dominican Republic. School was a high priority in his family, and his folks made sure he got an education. (I think his mother may have been a teacher.)

If you don't have INsider access to read the story, not so much on education, but there was a large part of the story about his family and how much concern they had over his injury...

OnBaseMachine
03-11-2010, 01:13 AM

You are correct. From an ESPN story written in May of 2008...

His personality, he said, comes from his mother, who was a teacher and also worked with the elderly at the local hospital. Volquez has three older sisters and a younger brother, and said his father worked as a mechanic. Unlike many players from the Dominican, Volquez grew up middle class and his first love was basketball. He said he admired Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3392657