PDA

View Full Version : Lineup

corkedbat
03-10-2010, 10:23 PM
If you had to make one move to imporve the everyday starting line up what position would you target? LF? CF? SS? C? Who would you target? Who would you be willing to give up?

Sea Ray
03-10-2010, 11:48 PM
In an ideal world I'd get a bonafide cleanup hitter and play him in LF. Too bad Barry Bonds is 45

corkedbat
03-10-2010, 11:55 PM
In an ideal world I'd get a bonafide cleanup hitter and play him in LF. Too bad Barry Bonds is 45

What is that in steroid years though?

Ron Madden
03-11-2010, 04:09 AM
To be honest, I'm kinda worried about the catching position.

I'm afraid Dusty has or will Miss-cast Hernandez because he has some grand illusion of him being a professional hitter and RBI man.

Not sure what I would or could do about it, that's Walt's job and why he makes the big bucks.

mth123
03-11-2010, 07:12 AM
The Reds don't have the bucks for a big bat, but adding some alternatives that can do what is lacking is still possible.

The Rays look like they'll be putting Sean Rodriguez at 2B with Ben Zobrist in RF and the addition of Hank Blalock might free Pat Burrell for a little duty in the OF. That might make guys like Matt Joyce and Reid Brignac available. Both are lefty bats who play competent defense at their positions and have a little pop. Brignac would provide a lefty alternative to Cozart down the road (Cozart showed some splits last year) and he could also provide a lefty alternative to Phillips or his replacement be it Frazier or Valaika at 2B. Joyce has good power and plays strong defense in the OF corners. A platoon of Joyce and Gomes (and Heisey or Frazier down the road) may provide a solid middle of the order presence that this team is sorely lacking and probably can't afford to acquire in a single player. It also frees Dickerson for CF in the event that Stubbs crashes and burns or needs a LH counterpart.

The Rays don't need much but do lack an obvious successor to Carlos Pena who is in his walk year. Alonso is blocked in Cincy and, with the anouncement that Votto isn't moving, is probably a guy to move. The Rays also could use another arm or two in the pen and maybe lesser players to backfill in the IF and OF if necessary. In AAA the Reds could go ahead and move Francisco to 1B and put Frazier at 3B full time to find out once and for all if he can handle it every day.

Alonso, Burton and Viola for Brignac and Joyce. It clears a logjam or two while adding desperately needed parts that are missing for now and the future. The Reds could release Laynce Nix and Aaron Miles which would be another plus for the current team.

Stubbs/Dickerson CF
Rolen 3B
Votto 1B
Bruce RF
Joyce/Gomes LF
Phillips 2B
Cabrera SS
Hernandez/Hanigan C

Brignac IF
Sutton U

Harang
Cueto
Arroyo
Bailey
Maloney
Owings
Herrera
Rhodes
Bray
Fisher
Masset
Cordero

I'd feel a lot better about that team's ability to compete against RHP than I do the current roster.

Will M
03-11-2010, 09:49 PM
lets assume that a whole lotta guys play well this spring. we want to upgrade one spot in the batting order by trading 3 young guys/prospects for one good major league player.

1. we have to get a guy that wouldn't cost too much as our payroll seems to be close to max

2. we have to have a willing partner. a rebuilding team like the Nationals might trade us Josh Willingham now but a team like the Astros aren't going to trade Berkman in March. they want to see if they can compete. then if they fall back they start looking at trades.

3. a better catcher or shortstop would be nice but problematic. why sign Hernandez or Cabrera then turn around and bench them. plus it would be kinda rude to sign Hernandez to an incentive laden deal then make him a backup.

4. LF seems the obvious choice. however, one caveat is that several of our best prospects can play LF. whoever we get better be a lot better than what we could have in house.

5. mth123 - your trade idea is well thought out. a big LH bat for left field and a better bench option than Janish/Miles would help the 2010 team a lot. imo the NL central is weak. the Reds have their best team (on paper) in a while. a trade like yours could put us over the top

Benihana
03-11-2010, 11:28 PM
The Reds don't have the bucks for a big bat, but adding some alternatives that can do what is lacking is still possible.

The Rays look like they'll be putting Sean Rodriguez at 2B with Ben Zobrist in RF and the addition of Hank Blalock might free Pat Burrell for a little duty in the OF. That might make guys like Matt Joyce and Reid Brignac available. Both are lefty bats who play competent defense at their positions and have a little pop. Brignac would provide a lefty alternative to Cozart down the road (Cozart showed some splits last year) and he could also provide a lefty alternative to Phillips or his replacement be it Frazier or Valaika at 2B. Joyce has good power and plays strong defense in the OF corners. A platoon of Joyce and Gomes (and Heisey or Frazier down the road) may provide a solid middle of the order presence that this team is sorely lacking and probably can't afford to acquire in a single player. It also frees Dickerson for CF in the event that Stubbs crashes and burns or needs a LH counterpart.

The Rays don't need much but do lack an obvious successor to Carlos Pena who is in his walk year. Alonso is blocked in Cincy and, with the anouncement that Votto isn't moving, is probably a guy to move. The Rays also could use another arm or two in the pen and maybe lesser players to backfill in the IF and OF if necessary. In AAA the Reds could go ahead and move Francisco to 1B and put Frazier at 3B full time to find out once and for all if he can handle it every day.

Alonso, Burton and Viola for Brignac and Joyce. It clears a logjam or two while adding desperately needed parts that are missing for now and the future. The Reds could release Laynce Nix and Aaron Miles which would be another plus for the current team.

Stubbs/Dickerson CF
Rolen 3B
Votto 1B
Bruce RF
Joyce/Gomes LF
Phillips 2B
Cabrera SS
Hernandez/Hanigan C

Brignac IF
Sutton U

Harang
Cueto
Arroyo
Bailey
Maloney
Owings
Herrera
Rhodes
Bray
Fisher
Masset
Cordero

I'd feel a lot better about that team's ability to compete against RHP than I do the current roster.

Well thought out. As usual, we are in relative agreement. I like the positions and age of the players targeted, although I picked a different team:

Yonder Alonso, Travis Wood, and Juan Francisco to the A's for LF Michael Taylor and SS Grant Green.

This couldn't happen until after this year's draft due to Grant Green, who was drafted less than 12 months ago. This would buy some time to confirm the following:

1. Christian Colon won't fall to the Reds at #12 (the draft would have already taken place.)
2. Yonder Alonso can't play anywhere except 1B or DH
3. Todd Frazier is more of an infielder than an outfielder.
4. Homer Bailey and Johnny Cueto will be anchors in the rotation for years to come.
5. Edinson Volquez continues to rehab nicely.
6. Aroldis Chapman and Mike Leake continue to progress and lie ahead of Wood on the pitching depth chart.
7. Joey Votto will be the 1B and #3 hitter for years to come.
8. Zach Cozart doesn't appear to be the long term answer at SS.
9. Rajai Davis is the real deal in the Oakland OF
10. Jemile Weeks continues to be a good enough middle infield prospect to make Green expendable in the right deal.
11. Michael Taylor can play LF in the big leagues in 2010.
12. Chris Heisey and Wladimir Balentien are not the answer in LF.

Provided all of the above conditions prove true, the Reds should make this move in June or July. Walt loves dealing with Billy Beane, and Alonso would fill the void left by the departure of Brett Wallace, providing them with a 1B/DH (depending on what they wanted to do with Barton), Wood would be another lefty to complement Brett Anderson in that young rotation (once Sheets is gone.) Francisco is an intriguing throw-in if nothing else.

Meanwhile, Taylor is a cleanup hitter for LF and Green could be the SS for years to come, as soon as Cabrera's contract expires.

mth123
03-12-2010, 01:26 AM
Well thought out. As usual, we are in relative agreement. I like the positions and age of the players targeted, although I picked a different team:

Yonder Alonso, Travis Wood, and Juan Francisco to the A's for LF Michael Taylor and SS Grant Green.

This couldn't happen until after this year's draft due to Grant Green, who was drafted less than 12 months ago. This would buy some time to confirm the following:

1. Christian Colon won't fall to the Reds at #12 (the draft would have already taken place.)
3. Todd Frazier is more of an infielder than an outfielder.
4. Homer Bailey and Johnny Cueto will be anchors in the rotation for years to come.
5. Edinson Volquez continues to rehab nicely.
6. Aroldis Chapman and Mike Leake continue to progress and lie ahead of Wood on the pitching depth chart.
7. Joey Votto will be the 1B and #3 hitter for years to come.
8. Zach Cozart doesn't appear to be the long term answer at SS.
9. Rajai Davis is the real deal in the Oakland OF
10. Jemile Weeks continues to be a good enough middle infield prospect to make Green expendable in the right deal.
11. Michael Taylor can play LF in the big leagues in 2010.
12. Chris Heisey and Wladimir Balentien are not the answer in LF.

Provided all of the above conditions prove true, the Reds should make this move in June or July. Walt loves dealing with Billy Beane, and Alonso would fill the void left by the departure of Brett Wallace, providing them with a 1B/DH (depending on what they wanted to do with Barton), Wood would be another lefty to complement Brett Anderson in that young rotation (once Sheets is gone.) Francisco is an intriguing throw-in if nothing else.

Meanwhile, Taylor is a cleanup hitter for LF and Green could be the SS for years to come, as soon as Cabrera's contract expires.

Good idea. If the Reds could get Taylor, I wouldn't wait or insist on Green. Alonso seems like the A's type. Francisco not so much. I wonder if Alonso and Maloney for Taylor would fly.

nate
03-12-2010, 08:10 AM
Nice analysis, Beni.

Sea Ray
03-12-2010, 10:26 AM

Given his performance at 1B in Arizona, can he even play 1B?