PDA

View Full Version : Catching up with Austin Kearns

westofyou
03-11-2010, 02:57 PM
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/nationalsjournal/2010/03/catching_up_with_austin_kearns.html

Until now, Kearns, 29, has spoken very little about the difficult circumstances behind his awful 2009 season. After dealing for years with a sore right thumb that always stayed just painful enough to play through, he finally underwent surgery in August when he found himself barely able to grip a bat, and the doctor discovered an aneurysm and a cyst, which was removed.

In addition, in May, Kearns's youngest son, Brady -- 2 years old at the time -- was diagnosed with autism, dealing an emotional blow to Kearns and his wife, Abby.

I caught up with Kearns today in the Cleveland Indians' camp in Goodyear, Ariz. - where he is a non-roster invitee hoping to make the Indians' roster -- and he agreed to talk about his trying tenure in Washington.

IowaRed
03-11-2010, 03:41 PM
I hope AK is able to make the Cleveland roster and bounce back. I don't think I've ever been more wrong about a player's future than his. I thought he was going to outperform Dunn and be an all-star.

Caveat Emperor
03-11-2010, 03:43 PM
Austin Kearns is a cautionary tale for anyone who wants to project Hall of Fame ceremonies and All-Star appearences for a top prospect who comes out of AAA raking.

Professional baseball is tough, and even the all-world talents can struggle and fizzle.

OnBaseMachine
03-11-2010, 04:09 PM
In addition, in May, Kearns's youngest son, Brady -- 2 years old at the time -- was diagnosed with autism, dealing an emotional blow to Kearns and his wife, Abby.

Sorry to hear that about Kearns's son. That had to be rough on him. IIRC, Dunn named his son Brady too.

I always liked Kearns, I'd like to see him have a bounceback season.

lollipopcurve
03-12-2010, 09:38 AM
Austin Kearns is a cautionary tale for anyone who wants to project Hall of Fame ceremonies and All-Star appearences for a top prospect who comes out of AAA raking.

Professional baseball is tough, and even the all-world talents can struggle and fizzle.

Injuries derailed Kearns, it wasn't a matter of him not transitioning well to the bigs. He may have had some conditioning issues, I don't know, but the obstacle wasn't being overwhelmed by the big league game.

Although it's certainly true that no young player should be considered a sure thing until he proves he can succeed in the majors.

RedFanAlways1966
03-12-2010, 12:32 PM
I remember back in the day talk of an attitude problem with AK. The attitude talk being about a spoiled-little-kid attitude. Led to RZ talk of not listening to coaches to make changes and getting upset at fans for booing him. I believe when THE TRADE happened his father went public on how happy AK will be not having to deal with those fans in Cincinnati anymore. True or not?

If so (I can believe it), has this been another part of his problem in MLB?