PDA

View Full Version : Larkin on returning to Reds camp as instructor

OnBaseMachine
03-11-2010, 03:53 PM
As reported by Fay and others, Barry Larkin arrived today in Reds camp today and will be there for 10 days to serve as an instructor. Sean Casey will also be in town.

Fay has a blog up on Larkin returning.

Larkin will be a sort of roving instructor for the 10 days he spends in camp. Sean Casey is also coming in a similar role.

“I’ll do whatever they want me to,” Larkin said. “I know that have young shortstops in the organization. I think one of the reasons they brought me back as well as Sean Casey. I think the last time this organization won is when we were playing. You can have the different pieces, but I think there’s an aura they’re trying to create. I commend them for having the all the guys back.

rest of the story:
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/03/11/larkin-on-returning/

redsfandan
03-11-2010, 03:57 PM
This is pretty cool.

RedsManRick
03-11-2010, 03:58 PM
Great news!

OnBaseMachine
03-11-2010, 04:03 PM
I loved this quote from Larkin:

I remember when I retired, I had a Nationals uniform with No. 11 – before Ryan Zimmerman was 11 – I couldn’t put it on. It will be very comfortable putting the Reds uniform on.”

It's great to have Barry back. He, along with Griffey, was always my favorite player growing up. I hope to see him in the Reds organization full-time someday either as a coach/manager or as a broadcaster.

ochre
03-11-2010, 04:47 PM
Sean Casey as baserunning consultant? :)

membengal
03-11-2010, 04:52 PM
I believe Sean Casey as aura consultant if I am reading Larkin's quote correctly...

Blitz Dorsey
03-11-2010, 06:21 PM
I love it. Nice idea, gentlemen. I always knew Lark would come home one day and would have some type of job with the Reds. This is the first step in him being an assistant GM or something (I don't think he'll stay in coaching long-term).

paintmered
03-11-2010, 06:47 PM
If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times. I am a Reds fan because of Barry Larkin.

I really hope that this opens the door to more long term possibilities within the organization. I know he's got that nice gig with MLB TV, but it'd be nice to see him back in familiar territory.

Puffy
03-11-2010, 06:50 PM
Hey Paint - have you ever said why you were a Reds fan?

Just wondering.....

TeamBoone
03-12-2010, 04:19 PM
Makes me feel warm and fuzzy... love them both.

Matt700wlw
03-12-2010, 04:26 PM
Welcome home, Larkin.

Sean Casey is hugging coach :)

HeatherC1212
03-12-2010, 04:41 PM
Its nice to have Barry and the Mayor back with the Reds even if it is just for a short time for now. :)

Guacarock
03-12-2010, 08:10 PM
Also in the house the past few days at Goodyear -- George Foster, although he hasn't been instructing any players, just meeting and greeting fans, and signing autographs.

Spring~Fields
03-12-2010, 10:19 PM
If someone could help Phillips reach his higher levels of achievement in baseball, Barry Larkin might be just the man to spend some time with Brandon Phillips to help him to be even better. At least I hope that the two of them can exchange some meaningful input and feedback time with each other.

George Anderson
03-12-2010, 10:42 PM
Also in the house the past few days at Goodyear -- George Foster, although he hasn't been instructing any players, just meeting and greeting fans, and signing autographs.

Not to get off topic but I made George a friend on Facebook and he is pretty interactive with the fans. Several times a week he asks opinions on various baseball subjects for his fans/friends to comment on.

_Sir_Charles_
03-12-2010, 10:44 PM
As reported by Fay and others, Barry Larkin arrived today in Reds camp today and will be there for 10 days to serve as an instructor. Sean Casey will also be in town.

Fay has a blog up on Larkin returning.

rest of the story:
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/03/11/larkin-on-returning/

I'm guessing here, but I'm thinking that they're gearing up for the 30 in 30 segment for the MLB network on the Reds. But whether that's it or not...who cares...it's just great seeing them there. :O)

BTW, does anybody know when the Cincy segment is slated for? The 30 in 30 days show, that is.

RollyInRaleigh
03-13-2010, 08:14 AM
Larkin said it would be very comfortable putting on the Reds uniform again. It will be very comfortable to see him back where he belongs.

Chip R
03-13-2010, 10:57 AM
I could have sworn Barry was in camp last year.

Reds Fanatic
03-13-2010, 11:04 AM
I'm guessing here, but I'm thinking that they're gearing up for the 30 in 30 segment for the MLB network on the Reds. But whether that's it or not...who cares...it's just great seeing them there. :O)

BTW, does anybody know when the Cincy segment is slated for? The 30 in 30 days show, that is.Tuesday March 23rd at 10 PM ET

_Sir_Charles_
03-13-2010, 11:32 AM
Tuesday March 23rd at 10 PM ET

Thank you kindly sir. :O)

11larkin11
03-13-2010, 11:39 AM
If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times. I am a Reds fan because of Barry Larkin.

I really hope that this opens the door to more long term possibilities within the organization. I know he's got that nice gig with MLB TV, but it'd be nice to see him back in familiar territory.

Same, if you couldn't tell already:)

George Anderson
03-13-2010, 11:40 AM
It's just a hunch, but I have always felt like Larkin would make a pretty successful manager. I don't feel that way about all past great players but I do with him for whatever reason.