PDA

View Full Version : Joe Mauer available?

Matt700wlw
03-12-2010, 05:11 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/post/Mauer-trade-possible-;_ylt=AojcYdIC.eyX2eCE2C_mWysRvLYF?urn=mlb,227395

corkedbat
03-12-2010, 05:48 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/post/Mauer-trade-possible-;_ylt=AojcYdIC.eyX2eCE2C_mWysRvLYF?urn=mlb,227395

I would make a huge offer in young talent for him (but only if management were willing to follow throw with an LTC). Don't see it happening though.

KronoRed
03-12-2010, 05:52 PM
If he won't sign with them the Reds have even less of a shot.

Benihana
03-12-2010, 06:00 PM
Article speculates he wants $25MM per, and has already turned down more than $20MM per.

Next!

corkedbat
03-12-2010, 06:55 PM
Article speculates he wants $25MM per, and has already turned down more than $20MM per.

Next!

Didn't know he was expecting that much , but figures. Maybe we can deal for Montaro when the skanks deal for Mauer (assuming he's not in that deal in return to the Twins, of course). :D

Tony Cloninger
03-12-2010, 09:24 PM
Sad to hear this. Not that I expected some big hometown discount...but still the guy is from the immediate area and the Twins NEED to keep him.

Worst thing is for either the Sox or Yankees to get him....he needs to be with the Twins.

steig
03-12-2010, 09:58 PM
It's disappointing at the idea of Mauer leaving the Twins. I hate to see him go for the cash of a big market. But I woulnd't want the Reds to pay 20 - 25 million for Mauer. With all of his previous knee problems you don't know how much longer he will be a catcher and offensive value decreases if you move him to a position other than catcher. He is clearly the best offensive catcher, but would you want Mauer or Pujols for $25 million? I vote Pujols.

savafan
03-12-2010, 10:03 PM
He is clearly the best offensive catcher, but would you want Mauer or Pujols for $25 million? I vote Pujols.

I'd rather have Joey Votto for $7-10 million when he comes due for a big payday.

RedsManRick
03-12-2010, 10:59 PM
Mauer is a hometown boy, star in both football and basketball in St. Paul in high school. I think that at the end of the day, he ends up in Minnesota - everything else is just the game of chicken that is negotiation.

Benihana
03-13-2010, 12:19 AM
Mauer is a hometown boy, star in both football and basketball in St. Paul in high school. I think that at the end of the day, he ends up in Minnesota - everything else is just the game of chicken that is negotiation.

Agreed. I think LeBron is more likely to leave Cleveland than Mauer is to leave Minnesota.

NDRed
03-13-2010, 01:41 AM
In the market and this is the first I have heard that Mauer ends up anywhere but the Tewins. I think someone wanted to get some buzz going with some idle speculation.

Nothing to se here..............

MasonBuzz3
03-13-2010, 02:56 AM
Agreed. I think LeBron is more likely to leave Cleveland than Mauer is to leave Minnesota.

so you're saying mauer is gonna end up in minnesota? hard to compare the twins ability to spend on mauer to the nba's system of max player contracts and bird rules.

Mauer's agent is probably just leaking this kind of info to try to get the most $ available...mention leaving and the fans will start getting on the twins to re-sign

PuffyPig
03-13-2010, 12:07 PM
It's disappointing at the idea of Mauer leaving the Twins. I hate to see him go for the cash of a big market. But I woulnd't want the Reds to pay 20 - 25 million for Mauer. With all of his previous knee problems you don't know how much longer he will be a catcher and offensive value decreases if you move him to a position other than catcher. He is clearly the best offensive catcher, but would you want Mauer or Pujols for $25 million? I vote Pujols.

If Mauer could duplicate last year on a consistent basis, he is clearly worth more than Pujols.

While Pujols is a bit better hitter last year, there are many, many firstbaseman reasonably close to Pujols, and zero catchers in Mauer's league.

But it's doubtful Mauer will consistently hit like he did last year.

blumj
03-13-2010, 12:55 PM
If Mauer could duplicate last year on a consistent basis, he is clearly worth more than Pujols.

While Pujols is a bit better hitter last year, there are many, many firstbaseman reasonably close to Pujols, and zero catchers in Mauer's league.

I don't know if it's doubtful, he hasn't even turned 27 yet. Mauer plus the best 1B you can afford, scrounge up, or home grow is very likely to be a better combination for almost any team than Pujols plus the best catcher you can afford, scrounge up, or home grow.

PuffyPig
03-13-2010, 01:37 PM
I don't know if it's doubtful, he hasn't even turned 27 yet. Mauer plus the best 1B you can afford, scrounge up, or home grow is very likely to be a better combination for almost any team than Pujols plus the best catcher you can afford, scrounge up, or home grow.

Mauer had an OPS in 2009 about 150 points higher than his previous career average. His BABIP was about 35 points higher than his previous career average and his FR/FB rate over double his previous average.

He's a very poor bet to continue posting an OPS over 1000, based on his position, much less considering the fact his randomness factor seemed to play into his advantage last year.

But I agree with your second point completely. It's just a question of what Mauer will likely hit in the future.

steig
03-13-2010, 01:50 PM

I agree he probably won't dublicate 2009, if he could put those numbers up consistently he would probably be worth more than Pujols assuming he can keep his knees healthy enough to remain at catcher. Also Pujols started playing left field and third a lot for St. Louis because they had the Mac at first. If Pujols had stayed at 3rd, i think there would be the same type of disparity between Pujols and then next best 3rd baseman. Which was my original idea, if a players eventual position is first base over the course of a long term contract. Then you have to take that into consideration and the level of competition between first basemen.

RedEye
03-13-2010, 11:07 PM

I dunno about that. Pujols is pretty exceptional, even for a first baseman. Heck, he's pretty exceptional in the history of baseball. If Mauer keeps it up, so is he.

kpresidente
03-14-2010, 12:16 AM
I would make a huge offer in young talent for him (but only if management were willing to follow throw with an LTC). Don't see it happening though.

Yeah, if it was just the prospects, so would I. If you look at the roster, the Reds could package something like Alonso, Francisco, Frazier, Wood and Maloney without really losing much future production. Every one of those guys is basically blocked right now. So that's all excess talent one way or another.

The thing is SS and CA are unique positions, in that it's so difficult to get any meaningful offensive output from them, that if you can find a way, you can get a massive competitive advantage (no coincidence the Reds are so weak there as well). Instead of having 6 productive hitters you can have 7 or 8? That's huge.

The problem is the money won't add up. If you figure the payroll maxes out at roughly $75 mil, and you tried to add Mauer at $20M/year, look where you end up for the near future: Mauer $20M, Cordero $12M, Phillips $11M, Rolen $6M, Chapman $5M=$60M. $15M for the rest of the roster? You can dump Cordero without losing much talent, but anybody else you drop means a corresponding loss in overall production. Given that the rest of the roster are mostly kids playing for pennies, you could make it work, no problem. But it means no extensions. Not Votto, Bruce, Volquez, Cueto, etc.

Is Mauer it really worth that? I don't think so, and that's probably why management wouldn't "follow through." They can't even think about that kind of salary unless they get a big boost in revenue somewhere.

WebScorpion
03-14-2010, 01:40 AM
I agree that if Mauer is seeking big money, there's no way the Reds would be able to afford him without sacrificing the future. But what if he's not after money? What if he's looking for a few chances at a ring? The Reds might be a great place for that...and we've definitely got the minor league talent to put together a nice package. The Reds should at least check it out. :thumbup:

Big Klu
03-14-2010, 01:44 PM
I agree that if Mauer is seeking big money, there's no way the Reds would be able to afford him without sacrificing the future. But what if he's not after money? What if he's looking for a few chances at a ring? The Reds might be a great place for that...and we've definitely got the minor league talent to put together a nice package. The Reds should at least check it out. :thumbup:

If all he's looking for is a chance to get a ring, then Minnesota is as good a place as Cincinnati to start. In fact, they have been far more competitive in the AL Central over the last 10 years than the Reds have in the NL Central.

bucksfan2
03-14-2010, 07:33 PM
It would be a sad, sad day in MLB if Mauer left Minnesota. While I may have concerns about him sticking long term at C, he has 1b as well as DH to fall back on.

FWIW I don't think that Mauer leaves Minnesota. I think the Twins pony up and Mauer also takes a home town discount. His agent isn't Boras and his agent has been known to keep hometown heroes at home.

OnBaseMachine
03-21-2010, 05:42 PM
From John Perrotto:

#Twins catcher Joe Mauer agrees to eight-year, $184-million extension that takes effect next season. Official signing coming at 7 p.m.

http://twitter.com/jperrotto

Ken Rosenthal and Bob Nightengale are also confirming the signing.

Ron Madden
03-21-2010, 05:49 PM
WOW, eight years after this season that's a long time.

flyer85
03-21-2010, 06:21 PM
for a catcher with a history of knee problems that is a lot of money and years. I guess he could always be a really expensive DH

bucksfan2
03-21-2010, 06:46 PM
I think this may be a necessary evil for Minnesota. There was no way that Minnesota could have let Mauer walk. I really think that Mauer means more to the Twins overall than any other player in the majors when you take into consideration he is a home town boy turned MVP. You also have to consider the new ballpark that was built and the draw Mauer is in the Twin Cities.

All that said this contract may come bac to bite Minesota in the rear. They are committing a large percentage of their payroll to Mauer who in his later years will be relegated to DH or 1b.

Jpup
03-21-2010, 07:51 PM
I think this may be a necessary evil for Minnesota. There was no way that Minnesota could have let Mauer walk. I really think that Mauer means more to the Twins overall than any other player in the majors when you take into consideration he is a home town boy turned MVP. You also have to consider the new ballpark that was built and the draw Mauer is in the Twin Cities.

All that said this contract may come bac to bite Minesota in the rear. They are committing a large percentage of their payroll to Mauer who in his later years will be relegated to DH or 1b.

They can also trade him in 3 years or whatever. In today's game, you are never stuck with someone.

marcshoe
03-21-2010, 10:08 PM
Good to see this, even though they won't get value in the final years. The Twins stepped up and did what they needed to. Play ball.

HeatherC1212
03-21-2010, 10:28 PM
That is a freaking lot of money. I know he's a phenomenal player and all but I can't even imagine having that much money. Wow. :eek:

Sea Ray
03-21-2010, 10:43 PM
They can also trade him in 3 years or whatever. In today's game, you are never stuck with someone.

Not exactly. Part of the headline here isn't just the money, it's the fact that there is a full no trade clause:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5016230

It doesn't seem to me that the Twins got a hometown discount here