PDA

View Full Version : Daugherty: Failure will lead to success for Jay Bruce

OnBaseMachine
03-12-2010, 08:14 PM
I'm not the biggest fan of Paul Daugherty but he's written some nice articles this week.

GOODYEAR, Ariz. – The Reds are on the cusp of something. Nobody knows what. Everybody wants to find out.

“A lot of us are growing up,’’ says Jay Bruce, who is right in the middle of it. You can see it when they play and hear it when they talk. The most important young Reds know what they don’t know. They’re working on it. They’re figuring it out.

There hasn’t been this impressive a collection of kid talent here in 20 years. Nor, maybe, a greater sense of purpose.

follow the link for the rest of the story:
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100312/COL03/303120082/Doc%20%20Failure%20helped%20Jay%20Bruce?GID=gggzlO aYJTGYN7JOZ4s072nFULb/WWFQrNnq6U05KSM%3D

Spring~Fields
03-12-2010, 10:01 PM
Daugherty and Fay could probably learn from Bruce and Bailey, and then apply it to their own career fields.

redsmetz
03-12-2010, 10:03 PM
I'm not the biggest fan of Paul Daugherty but he's written some nice articles this week.

follow the link for the rest of the story:
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100312/COL03/303120082/Doc%20%20Failure%20helped%20Jay%20Bruce?GID=gggzlO aYJTGYN7JOZ4s072nFULb/WWFQrNnq6U05KSM%3D

I agree that Daugherty has written several good columns this week. I don't have much of a beef with him much anymore. IMO, he's grown as a writer from his earliest days (when he never met a cliche he didn't want to use). And his gig on WLW was much better than I ever expected. I particularly liked his story on Bailey, highlighting the growing maturity of a young pitcher.

RedEye
03-15-2010, 11:15 AM
I agree that Daugherty has written several good columns this week. I don't have much of a beef with him much anymore. IMO, he's grown as a writer from his earliest days (when he never met a cliche he didn't want to use). And his gig on WLW was much better than I ever expected. I particularly liked his story on Bailey, highlighting the growing maturity of a young pitcher.

I agree. I've actually always admired his ability to turn a phrase. He makes it look easier than it is, IMO. His stubborn rejection of new tools of analysis has been frustrating as all heck, but other than that I generally enjoy reading him.