PDA

View Full Version : BP: No turnover standings

nate
03-15-2010, 04:32 PM
I found this (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=10257) fascinating.

For this article, I went through every player who played in the major leagues last season and figured out his WARP* and the team that first signed him to a contract, either as a draft pick, international free agent or undrafted player. I then determined each team's record based on the combined WARP of the player who originally belong to it. Next to a team's original player win-loss record, I list its actual record for 2009 and the amount of money it spent on payroll last year, according to bizofbaseball.com, in millions.

Hit the link to check out the results. Especially how the Reds fared. Pretty interesting.

Sea Ray
03-15-2010, 05:10 PM
Looks like the Mariners traded away the most talent if I'm reading that right

OnBaseMachine
03-15-2010, 05:17 PM

Shin-Soo Choo, Asdrubal Cabrera, Luis Valbuena, Adam Jones, Jason Varitek, Derek Lowe. Those are only the names I can think of off the top of my head. The front four were all traded in the last few years.

nate
03-15-2010, 05:46 PM

Yeah. What would be interesting to see the "difference" record between what each team...I dunno..."spawned" and what they constructed. In that regard, the Reds aren't so bad.

RedsManRick
03-15-2010, 06:42 PM
Shin-Soo Choo, Asdrubal Cabrera, Luis Valbuena, Adam Jones, Jason Varitek, Derek Lowe. Those are only the names I can think of off the top of my head. The front four were all traded in the last few years.

I don't think this article is limited to players who were traded, but rather all players who were in the MLB. So other notables include: ARod, Junior, JJ Putz, Willie Bloomquist, Matt Thornton, Joel Pineiro, Gil Meche, Brian Fuentes, Ryan Franklin, Raul Ibanez...

That's a pretty nice bullpen at least.