PDA

View Full Version : Nix arrested in Arizona on traffic charge

Unassisted
03-16-2010, 11:41 AM
http://www.wcpo.com/news/local/story/Reds-Player-Arrested-On-Traffic-Violations-In-AZ/Bl4s2ObWB0eNC8frXDvQdQ.cspx

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- A Reds outfielder was arrested for driving on a suspended license during Spring Training.

Police say they found Laynce Nix operating a rental Chevrolet Impala looking down at his cell phone while a traffic light was green on March 10.

Sea Ray
03-16-2010, 11:46 AM
This is a good one in the name of idiocy. His license has been suspended since 2003? How did he get a rental car? My guess is he's not supposed to be driving the rental because they usually check licenses carefully. He'll probably have to re-take his test and everything now.

RedsManRick
03-16-2010, 11:52 AM
When you're on the margins like he is, I can't imagine this helps....

Though it's probably a non-issue given its relative insignificance.

Spring~Fields
03-16-2010, 12:01 PM
It’s spring training, it is meaningless.

Besides, you would think he would have at least been driving a BMW, Lexus or Porsche rental, and not some Chevrolet Impala, made by bailout GM, in Scottsdale, Arizona

JaxRed
03-16-2010, 12:43 PM
Was he really texting.... or was he sleeping? :)

TRF
03-16-2010, 12:44 PM
The Impala is a nice car. I had a 2006, and although i am almost 42, i have to say it was quite pimp.

Hoosier Red
03-16-2010, 12:49 PM
This is a good one in the name of idiocy. His license has been suspended since 2003? How did he get a rental car? My guess is he's not supposed to be driving the rental because they usually check licenses carefully. He'll probably have to re-take his test and everything now.
You'd be surprised how poorly different states communicate license suspensions. I had a license suspended in Ohio,(which I didn't know about) was pulled over in Indiana and they didn't know the license was suspended.
Three months later they found out and I got a second ticket for driving with a suspended license whcih meant my license was then suspended for another 6 months. It sucked. I'm pretty sure I rented a car in the interim too.

klw
03-16-2010, 12:52 PM
Can somebody just make the Bengals joke so I can stop trying to think of one?
Same goes for the Cardinals.

edabbs44
03-16-2010, 12:53 PM

Besides, you would think he would have at least been driving a BMW, Lexus or Porsche rental, and not some Chevrolet Impala, made by bailout GM, in Scottsdale, Arizona

I'll put my money on a bailed-out GM over a luxury brand that tends to accelerate at inopportune times anyday.

Roy Tucker
03-16-2010, 12:54 PM
Police say they found Laynce Nix operating a rental Chevrolet Impala looking down at his cell phone while a traffic light was green on March 10.

Man, I wish they pulled people over for that up around here.

I can't count the number of left turn green arrows I've missed because someone was pre-occupied with their cell.

Get off my lawn.

Tommyjohn25
03-16-2010, 12:55 PM

:laugh:

kbrake
03-16-2010, 01:22 PM
I enjoy my 07 Impala very much.

cumberlandreds
03-16-2010, 01:22 PM
Can somebody just make the Bengals joke so I can stop trying to think of one?
Same goes for the Cardinals.

OK.

Will the Bengals pick him up when the Reds release him later this spring? :)

Caveat Emperor
03-16-2010, 01:30 PM
Was he really texting.... or was he sleeping? :)

Sending a message to Tony LaRussa, no doubt.

reds44
03-16-2010, 01:34 PM
Somebody should tell him to call up camisadelgolf.

Sea Ray
03-16-2010, 01:39 PM
You'd be surprised how poorly different states communicate license suspensions. I had a license suspended in Ohio,(which I didn't know about) was pulled over in Indiana and they didn't know the license was suspended.
Three months later they found out and I got a second ticket for driving with a suspended license whcih meant my license was then suspended for another 6 months. It sucked. I'm pretty sure I rented a car in the interim too.

Exactly so for that reason I'd think he would have tried to get a new license somewhere else, like Ohio maybe. You don't go 7 yrs w/o a license of any kind.

Nasty_Boy
03-16-2010, 01:43 PM
I roll an 06 Impala SS... And with my spoiler, chrome wheels, ground effects, and spoiler I feel that I'm pretty fly for a white guy!

Strikes Out Looking
03-16-2010, 01:58 PM
Suspended license-bad
looking at a cell phone while at a green light- I'm guilty!

In the scheme of things, this isn't that bad. Actually a waste of police resources if they actually took him in and put him in lockup.

RBA
03-16-2010, 02:19 PM
My wife's '07 Impala is a nice ride, we got the windows tinted, and the gas mileage isn't bad either. It also takes E-85 and we were able to fill up in Las Vegas for $2.29 a gallon instead of $3.00 a gallon for regular unleaded.

Sea Ray
03-16-2010, 02:27 PM
My wife's '07 Impala is a nice ride, we got the windows tinted, and the gas mileage isn't bad either. It also takes E-85 and we were able to fill up in Las Vegas for $2.29 a gallon instead of $3.00 a gallon for regular unleaded.

How does your mileage vary when you put in E-85?

RBA
03-16-2010, 02:29 PM
How does your mileage vary when you put in E-85?

It's about 2-4 MPG less. Decent trade off.

03-16-2010, 02:44 PM
My dad drove a 1965 (I think) Impala back in the day.

Sea Ray
03-16-2010, 02:49 PM
It's about 2-4 MPG less. Decent trade off.

Not bad. I see a drop off when I buy gas with 10% ethanol so I figured it'd be worse

Degenerate39
03-16-2010, 03:18 PM
I remember people were talking about how well built Nix was and alot of people said he could play for the Bengals. I guess it's just not his build that will get him a spot with the Bengals

Blitz Dorsey
03-16-2010, 03:37 PM
I roll an 06 Impala SS... And with my spoiler, chrome wheels, ground effects, and spoiler I feel that I'm pretty fly for a white guy!

You at least need to get a spoiler on there. ;-)

Yachtzee
03-16-2010, 03:44 PM
Driving under suspension is one of the most common charges around these parts. Usually, with someone who hasn't had a license that long, the DUS is for failure to reinstate. If someone coughs up the money to get the license reinstated, it gets knocked down to a No Operators License (with no additional suspension time) just to get them valid and break the DUS cycle. Not exactly the crime of the century.

11larkin11
03-16-2010, 03:46 PM
This brings up a great issue. The Reds have never really had too many run ins with the law. Now that I think about it, the Reds are VERY clean when it comes to the law AND when it comes to steroid use as a Red.

savafan
03-16-2010, 03:53 PM
Somebody should tell him to call up camisadelgolf.

Unless they're one and the same. ;)

Nasty_Boy
03-16-2010, 03:53 PM
You at least need to get a spoiler on there. ;-)

LOL!!! Whoops! :D

I need to make sure you know that this was the factory SS package, and not a Fast & Furious package. Normal spoiler, not the big airplane looking thing! lol

George Anderson
03-16-2010, 04:17 PM
This brings up a great issue. The Reds have never really had too many run ins with the law. Now that I think about it, the Reds are VERY clean when it comes to the law AND when it comes to steroid use as a Red.

I think Freel and his OD DUI was the last Red arrest.

JaxRed
03-16-2010, 04:23 PM
Not that he was a player at the time, but last year AA pitching coach Tom Browning got in a little trouble and was replaced. He was down in Spring Training this year, so he is back in good graces with the Reds.

I think Freel is the last player.

Sea Ray
03-16-2010, 04:25 PM
I think Stynes and his OD DUI was the last Red arrest.

Didn't Freel and "Farney" have one since then?

George Anderson
03-16-2010, 04:29 PM
Didn't Freel and "Farney" have one since then?

I meant Freel

11larkin11
03-16-2010, 04:34 PM
Well, since we all know Farney was the one with the DUI, and not Freel, that one doesn't count :)

westofyou
03-16-2010, 04:38 PM
Now that I think about it, the Reds are VERY clean when it comes to the law AND when it comes to steroid use as a Red.

At least by what one knows... nothing would surprise me.

That said the Reds in the late 80's probably were closer to the steroid issue than the Reds of the oughts, well at least the manager was pretty close to some users

Spring~Fields
03-16-2010, 05:34 PM
I'll put my money on a bailed-out GM over a luxury brand that tends to accelerate at inopportune times anyday.

:lol:

I knew as soon at I looked at what I had posted and thought for a moment.
I said to myself, "you are going to get into trouble with that GM and Impala comment".

Did I fail to mention that I drive a GM product too! :devil:

:oops:

My apologies to all GM and Impala drivers. :)

Tom Servo
03-16-2010, 07:59 PM
Better than a drug trafficking charge.