PDA

View Full Version : Tech Savy?

Stephenk29
03-17-2010, 12:00 AM
I've been trying to put a DVD together from a video camera. I thought this wouldn't be the most complicated thing ever but for whatever reason I'm having troubles. I burned a DVD from Windows Movie Maker, but but it will apparently only play on computers that already have Movie Maker loaded on to a computer. Is there a particular file type that will work regardless?

.wmv seemed logical, apparently not.

ochre
03-17-2010, 12:16 AM
Two 'v's in savvy, bro. :)

DVDs play on console players when the proper file structure and files are in place. A lot of dvd players will play raw divx and mpeg files too. DVD structure is something like AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders at the root of the dvd. Within the VIDEO_TS folder there are (usually) a bunch of files that end in .VOB . Those are the movie, with some of the files being things like the menus and other structure.

That's all just off the top of my head, so it's probably not 100% accurate.

dougdirt
03-17-2010, 12:49 PM
Ochre is correct. DVD's are formatted with the video and audio TS folders. Its how the dvd players know how to read the DVD. The video files themselves are .VOB, but they are essentially just MPEG2 files with specific formatting. You may need to get additional software to what you have (I have never used Windows Movie Maker) to do this.