PDA

View Full Version : Reds Blog on No. 5 starter and Dickerson v Stubbs

Blitz Dorsey
03-17-2010, 12:18 AM
Some decent stuff on the competition to be the Reds' No. 5 starter, the battle between Dickerson and Stubbs for the CF job (although they will probably platoon anyway), Gomes looking like the heavy favorite to be the Opening Day LF and the competition between Miles, Sutton and Frazier to be the utility man:

http://www.threewaychili.com/

Scrap Irony
03-17-2010, 12:41 AM
Meh. No quotes and the author makes some pretty large leaps of faith, regarding Stubbs/ Dickerson and Gomes.

Wishful thinking and a blog account don't make for news.

Blitz Dorsey
03-17-2010, 01:09 AM
Meh. No quotes and the author makes some pretty large leaps of faith, regarding Stubbs/ Dickerson and Gomes.

Wishful thinking and a blog account don't make for news.

You think it's a "large leap of faith" that Dickerson/Stubbs will platoon in CF and Gomes will be the Opening Day LF?

Spring~Fields
03-17-2010, 02:51 AM
I thought that he did a nice job laying out what he thought. I don't know that Gomes is going to get as much playing as he thinks, though he might.

Ron Madden
03-17-2010, 04:50 AM
Weather I agree or disagree with him, I thought he did a fine job of expressing his opinion.

Everyone has a right to their opinion but no one has the right for their opinion to go unchallenged.

Seems to me the local media covering the Reds is lacking of an original opinion.

They have all been of the same opinion for twenty years, if you read one article you've read'em all, if you listen to the radio or watch TV you will read or hear the same opinion over and over, with an occasional quote from the Owner, GM, Manager or a player almost word for word.

Scrap Irony
03-17-2010, 10:18 AM
You think it's a "large leap of faith" that Dickerson/Stubbs will platoon in CF and Gomes will be the Opening Day LF?

Absolutely. I expect Stubbs to play virtually every day in CF and Dickerson and Gomes to have a semi-regular platoon in LF, with Dickerson also spelling Bruce some in RF if he hits well enough to stick.

Like it or not, Dickerson is going to have to prove he's both healthy and hitting all year-- or at least until he's out of Dusty's doghouse.

And, though his opinion was fine, it had no quote and no proof. It was simply his opinion written fairly well.

Nothing more than what we have written here, day in and day out, every day for pretty much the entire year.

Blitz Dorsey
03-17-2010, 04:13 PM
Absolutely. I expect Stubbs to play virtually every day in CF and Dickerson and Gomes to have a semi-regular platoon in LF, with Dickerson also spelling Bruce some in RF if he hits well enough to stick.

Like it or not, Dickerson is going to have to prove he's both healthy and hitting all year-- or at least until he's out of Dusty's doghouse.

And, though his opinion was fine, it had no quote and no proof. It was simply his opinion written fairly well.

Nothing more than what we have written here, day in and day out, every day for pretty much the entire year.

Fair enough. I also tend to think the Reds will give Stubbs a very large benefit of the doubt. I hope it's a straight platoon with Dickerson/Stubbs in CF, but I'm not convinced it will go down that way.

puca
03-17-2010, 05:11 PM
I don't think they will platoon Dickerson and Stubbs. Playing once or twice a week won't help Stubbs mature as a hitter, and I doubt they would let that happen. If Drew doesn't hit well enough to hold onto the job full time, then they will send him to the minors. Of that I have no doubt.