PDA

View Full Version : Brantley says Leake's throwing like Lincecum

icehole3
03-17-2010, 10:16 AM
On the Reds Hot Stove league yesterday. I didnt realize he threw that hard, could you imagine having Leake in the rotation with Chapman, Volquez, Cueto and Bailey, all flame throwers. http://www.sternfannetwork.com/forum/images/smilies/Happy/HappyWave.gif

westofyou
03-17-2010, 10:19 AM
Then he said the catfish at The Cracker Barrel was as good as Grandma's.

icehole3
03-17-2010, 10:20 AM
I take that as a you dont believe Brantley

TRF
03-17-2010, 10:24 AM
I take it as hyperbole. Someone should smack these guys when they say stupid things. From Brantley to Bench.

Does ANYONE throw like Lincecum?

membengal
03-17-2010, 10:29 AM
I actually heard Hot Stove last night. Brantley was not comparing Leake's velocity to Lincecum, rather, as I heard it, his approach and command of the strike zone. The takeaway I got from that part of the show was that Leake has a chance to be special in his own right, something that should not be too surprising given the numbers he put up at ASU last year, frankly.

dougdirt
03-17-2010, 10:37 AM
Tim Lincecum doesn't throw all that hard anymore.... His fastball averaged just 92.4 MPH last season. Certainly a good velocity to average, but it was also 94 MPH in 2008. So far this spring is been 90-92.

lollipopcurve
03-17-2010, 10:45 AM

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Oh wait, maybe he really DID say that.

RedsManRick
03-17-2010, 11:58 AM
While velocity undoubtedly helps in general, movement and control are deadly. I'm extremely optimistic about what Leake can do.

lollipopcurve
03-17-2010, 01:33 PM
While velocity undoubtedly helps in general, movement and control are deadly. I'm extremely optimistic about what Leake can do.

I love Leake. I was on the bandwagon well before the draft last year. One of my favorite players in the organization -- love the athleticism, the attitude, the pitching instincts and skills. But, I do think his height and arm slot are a concern. He's well under 6'0'' and the arm slot is not much above three-quarters. Looking at other "undersized" righties, Maddux was strongly over the top, as is Cueto, as was Pedro before he started to decline. It's the only thing that tempers my enthusiasm about Leake -- will he burn brightly only to flameout relatively quickly?

Blitz Dorsey
03-17-2010, 03:17 PM
LOL. Well, minus about 10 MPH on his fastball maybe.

REDblooded
03-17-2010, 04:00 PM
lol. Well, minus about 10 mph on his fastball maybe.

why does everybody think lincecum is still throwing 99 mph?!?!?!?!!?!?

LoganBuck
03-17-2010, 04:44 PM
why does everybody think lincecum is still throwing 99 mph?!?!?!?!!?!?

Because he isn't Drew Stubbs.

TRF
03-17-2010, 04:53 PM
Because he isn't Drew Stubbs.

might be those two cy young thingy's he has too.

Raisor
03-17-2010, 06:13 PM

just stick with the chicken and dumplings.

They'll stick to your ribs.

Blitz Dorsey
03-17-2010, 09:02 PM
Oh, Lincecum isn't throwing 99? What is it, 97?

Yeah, that guy stinks. He is washed up. Remember when he used to throw 99 and was good? LOL.

HokieRed
03-17-2010, 10:32 PM
I love Leake. I was on the bandwagon well before the draft last year. One of my favorite players in the organization -- love the athleticism, the attitude, the pitching instincts and skills. But, I do think his height and arm slot are a concern. He's well under 6'0'' and the arm slot is not much above three-quarters. Looking at other "undersized" righties, Maddux was strongly over the top, as is Cueto, as was Pedro before he started to decline. It's the only thing that tempers my enthusiasm about Leake -- will he burn brightly only to flameout relatively quickly?

I too like Leake very much, especially for his command. He reminds me a little of Maddux but more of John Burkett, 4.31 ERA over 166 career wins. 1.347 WHIP. Burkett is listed at 6'2 but I don't think he was over 6 feet. Not overpowering, good command, three-quarter arm slot.

gonelong
03-18-2010, 12:42 AM
just stick with the chicken and dumplings.

They'll stick to your ribs.

Oatmeal, now that'll stick to your ribs.

GL

REDblooded
03-18-2010, 02:53 AM
Oh, Lincecum isn't throwing 99? What is it, 97?

Yeah, that guy stinks. He is washed up. Remember when he used to throw 99 and was good? LOL.

It's not that hard to look up. In fact, if you're following any baseball sites outside of team-devoted sites, there have been plenty of articles and mentions of his decreased velocity since his call up...

From an article on the 16th...
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100316&content_id=8812522&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb&partnerId=rss_mlb

Nor has Lincecum's fastball reached the velocity he maintained during his rise to stardom. One NL scout at Tuesday's game said that Lincecum's fastball ranged between 87 and 91 mph with one touching 92 -- about three to four mph slower than Lincecum used to throw routinely.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/lincecums-velocity-is-down-and-it-probably-doesnt-matter.html.php

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ti-lincecum022210&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

His second season (Cy I), according to Righetti’s charts, Lincecum pitched consistently at 93 mph. His third season (Cy II), at 91 or 92. Occasionally, in a home game with some buzz, Righetti said, Lincecum would add a couple ticks on the fastball in the early innings, then come back to level

I could find more, but there's no reason to dig... That's why I think it's funny that people are calling Brantley an idiot over his comment... Leake is pitching like a veteran, is mixing up his pitches well, and everything has movement... He's not blowing people away with a radar gun at this point, but is still proving very tough to hit... Like Lincecum.

kpresidente
03-19-2010, 05:02 PM
He's not blowing people away with a radar gun at this point, but is still proving very tough to hit

Yeah, well I can think of a lot of players who fit that and aren't Tim Lincecum, so why pick that name?

It's like saying XYZ is looking like Barry Bonds because they hit a few homers in camp. You don't go throwing names around like that.

Dom Heffner
03-19-2010, 06:07 PM
Oatmeal, now that'll stick to your ribs.

GL

I would put their meat loaf up against anybodys- I love theirs so much that everybody elses tastes off to me.

And oh yeah, Leake is not Lincecum, but who is?

REDblooded
03-19-2010, 07:29 PM
Yeah, well I can think of a lot of players who fit that and aren't Tim Lincecum, so why pick that name?

It's like saying XYZ is looking like Barry Bonds because they hit a few homers in camp. You don't go throwing names around like that.

Sure... But I'm guessing that a bit of that comp is from them being of similar stature, and their style of pitching...

Blitz Dorsey
03-19-2010, 11:25 PM
It's not that hard to look up. In fact, if you're following any baseball sites outside of team-devoted sites, there have been plenty of articles and mentions of his decreased velocity since his call up...

From an article on the 16th...
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100316&content_id=8812522&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb&partnerId=rss_mlb

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/lincecums-velocity-is-down-and-it-probably-doesnt-matter.html.php

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ti-lincecum022210&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

I could find more, but there's no reason to dig... That's why I think it's funny that people are calling Brantley an idiot over his comment... Leake is pitching like a veteran, is mixing up his pitches well, and everything has movement... He's not blowing people away with a radar gun at this point, but is still proving very tough to hit... Like Lincecum.

I hope you don't believe he's going all out in spring training games. We're talking about a Cy Young winner. He's not trying to make an impression on anyone in March ... probably just working on some things.

REDblooded
03-20-2010, 01:17 AM
I hope you don't believe he's going all out in spring training games. We're talking about a Cy Young winner. He's not trying to make an impression on anyone in March ... probably just working on some things.

Did you read any of that? This was mostly based off of what he threw all of last season...

Ron Madden
03-20-2010, 04:45 AM
Take anything said by Jeff Branley with a grain of salt.

If a grain of salt is not available pound your head against a very solid wall.