PDA

View Full Version : I'm pretty excited to see how Mesoraco performs against the next level of competition

Kingspoint
03-18-2010, 03:49 AM
This is the make-or-break level of a Catcher. This is where we'll find out if Mesoraco will be a solid Defensive Catcher for us in the future or if he'll have to rely on his Offensive skills to find a way to get to the Majors.

That second half "turnaround" he had last year was so encouraging. I had no idea he had it in him. It shows the REDS did some excellent scouting when they made him their first round pick.

Looking forward to the first "reports" where his Coach or his Manager talks about his "game-calling" skills this season. I'll be able to see his numbers on "throwing out runners", but it won't be until I see those reports where I'll have an idea on how he's doing with the "game-calling". So much of that is behind the scenes where the Catcher, Pitcher(s) and Manager/Coaches get together before the game and after the game, in addition to the "live" game-calling.

If anyone cares to give "their feel" about what they see if they're able to sit behind the backstop of any of his games, I'd really appreciate any opinions someone might have about what they may gleen from their observations.

Kingspoint
04-02-2010, 11:24 PM
Guess I won't be seeing what he'll do at the next level for a while.

That's OK, though. I love how the REDS have handled Mesoraco since he's been a RED. It's hard to "guess" where a Catcher is at defensively in the system without watching him every day in person.

Joseph
04-04-2010, 12:15 PM
I think they did the right thing with Mes. While we all want Lincecum like or Leake like rises out of our first round draft picks, sometimes they take time, especially catchers. Putting him in High A now that he's reportedly 'figured it out' is a good thing. If he's got the talent, he'll shine and get bumped.

Next year start him at AA and be ready to move him to AAA. In 2012 maybe he's ready to make the show at some point. Who knows.

mbgrayson
04-26-2010, 11:14 AM
Through the first 15 games of the 2010 season at Lynchburg(High A), Devin Mesoraco is doing fine:

.300/.379/.620 for an OPS of .999 with 4 HRs. He has struck out 6 times, and walked 4 times in 54 plate appearances.

GIDP
04-26-2010, 11:22 AM
Whats good to see is the strike outs and walks are almost 1:1 and that his slash line seems pretty darn reasonable. No .390 BA with an OBP of .400.

Good signs.

Edd Roush
04-26-2010, 12:04 PM
If Mes can develop into an above-average catecher in the ML, he is the most important player in the Reds farm system. We still are working with a small sample size, but it is encouraging. Let's hope he keeps it up and stays away from the injury bug.

gonelong
04-26-2010, 12:42 PM
Through the first 15 games of the 2010 season at Lynchburg(High A), Devin Mesoraco is doing fine:

.300/.379/.620 for an OPS of .999 with 4 HRs. He has struck out 6 times, and walked 4 times in 54 plate appearances.

Glad to see it. I hope Mes proves me wrong, but after seeing this kid at Dayton I just can't see him making any kind of impact at the MLB level.

I'd rather be wrong with a MLB caliber catcher than be right without one.

GL

lollipopcurve
04-26-2010, 12:47 PM
I hope Mes proves me wrong, but after seeing this kid at Dayton I just can't see him making any kind of impact at the MLB level.

There were reports this spring that he's made a lot of progress defensively. That's why time in the minors is called development -- and in this case it appears to be working.

dougdirt
04-26-2010, 12:51 PM
Glad to see it. I hope Mes proves me wrong, but after seeing this kid at Dayton I just can't see him making any kind of impact at the MLB level.

I'd rather be wrong with a MLB caliber catcher than be right without one.

GLSo because 2 seasons ago you weren't impressed by a 19 year old, you basically gave up on him?

TRF
04-26-2010, 03:41 PM
So because 2 seasons ago you weren't impressed by a 19 year old, you basically gave up on him?

it's funny what 1st impressions will do. We all are wrong all the time about players we like and don't like. I was convinced for three straight years Tyler Pelland was going to be a star.

lollipopcurve
04-26-2010, 03:59 PM
We all are wrong all the time about players we like and don't like.

Amen to that. Nothing wrong with changing one's opinion as players develop/don't develop.

REDblooded
04-26-2010, 04:00 PM
So because 2 seasons ago you weren't impressed by a 19 year old, you basically gave up on him?

Not to mention one that had missed a season of high school due to TJ, and hadn't really played against elite competition...

RedsManRick
04-26-2010, 05:34 PM
I'd say there's a difference between being down on a guy's chances of making it and writing him off completely. Though I've seen a more than a few posters neglect to make the distinction.

I too was down on Mes b/c I simply don't trust in the Reds ability to develop, well, anybody and he clearly had a lot of developing to do. But I certainly like what I've seen from him over the last 8 months.

TRF
04-26-2010, 05:56 PM
I'd say there's a difference between being down on a guy's chances of making it and writing him off completely. Though I've seen a more than a few posters neglect to make the distinction.

I too was down on Mes b/c I simply don't trust in the Reds ability to develop, well, anybody and he clearly had a lot of developing to do. But I certainly like what I've seen from him over the last 8 months.

But to be honest here, when was the last time the Reds developed a bad catcher defensively? Corky Miller is a good receiver. Hanigan is. Tatum is. It's the offense these catchers provide that generally is lacking. Which is odd as they seem able to wring every last ounce of offense out of the rest of the position players.

gonelong
04-26-2010, 07:12 PM

No, I just downgraded his chances (IMO) of making a substantial impact on the MLB roster to practically nil. :)

1. I don't get to give up on them or push them through the system, that's the organizations domain. As a fan, I don't tend to invest to much into the guys until the make the MLB team. At 40, I'm not all that interested in devoting much time to following a guy that (IMO) might have a chance to not suck in 5-6 years. I'll stick with the guys that show something interesting.

2. I only see 8-10 Dragon's games a year. I work on small sample sizes.

3. Armchair GM'ing is intersting. So is armchair scouting. For the number of times I see these guys at the single-A level, I have a been pretty successful prediciting position players which will make a MLB roster at some point, and who has a good chance of being more than roster filler.
* Pitchers and Catchers are a different animal to be sure. *

That said, frankly I thought the bat boy had about as much potential to make the bigs as Mes did, based on what I saw.

Sure he was 19 at the time and has lots of time to improve at a difficult position known for long development times ... but he was just so *completely* unimpressive in nearly every aspect of the game that I'll be pleasantly suprised if he makes a positive impact at the MLB level.

GL

dougdirt
04-26-2010, 07:33 PM
Sure he was 19 at the time and has lots of time to improve at a difficult position known for long development times ... but he was just so *completely* unimpressive in nearly every aspect of the game that I'll be pleasantly suprised if he makes a positive impact at the MLB level.

GL

For a teenager in the Midwest League he actually hit about as good as most teenagers do.

membengal
05-12-2010, 11:04 AM
The leap forward that Mesoraco is currently engaged in may be one of the most exciting developments for the farm system I have seen in some time. A catcher who might make top 50 lists for all of baseball (which Mes would if he keeps this up) is a rare thing for this organization.

In fact, have the Reds ever had a catcher in the system who was a legit top 50 (or even 100) prospect since those kind of rankings came in vogue?

HokieRed
05-12-2010, 11:23 AM
For a teenager in the Midwest League he actually hit about as good as most teenagers do.

Amen and the same should be said for a guy two years out of H.S. playing in the FSL.

GIDP
05-12-2010, 11:27 AM
The leap forward that Mesoraco is currently engaged in may be one of the most exciting developments for the farm system I have seen in some time. A catcher who might make top 50 lists for all of baseball (which Mes would if he keeps this up) is a rare thing for this organization.

In fact, have the Reds ever had a catcher in the system who was a legit top 50 (or even 100) prospect since those kind of rankings came in vogue?

How many catchers make the top 50 a year on average? 1?

medford
05-12-2010, 11:40 AM
When did the top 100 lists start coming out, or at least start being popular? Perhaps Dan Wilson, I remember him being pretty highly touted when I was young, don't know if it was top 100 prospect hype or not?

Wasn't there a Miguel something or other that was pretty highly touted a few seasons back as well. I'm not thinking top 100, but top 10 Reds prospect (of course that's probably not saying much for the Jimbo era). Dan Sardhina (SP?) might have fallen into the same boat, top 10 reds prospect.

camisadelgolf
05-12-2010, 11:50 AM
Mesoraco is the Reds' best catching prospect in a long time. The last catching prospect to be in the Reds' organization top-10 was Miguel Perez, who ranked 7th according to Baseball America. (Mesoraco was sixth a few years ago.)

edit:
Dane Sardinha's pinnacle was being the #74 prospect in baseball just before the 2001 season.

lollipopcurve
05-12-2010, 12:32 PM
I'm looking forward to BA's take on Mesoraco. They essentially dumped him as a legitimate prospect last year when he was not included among their list of the top 20-30 catching prospects in the minors, which I found unusual given that Mesoraco had been a first round pick recently (and they tend to value prospect pedigree quite highly).

They generally are slow to reverse course. So it should be interesting to see how they handle a 22 year old catcher, former first rounder, they just gave up on.

Will M
05-13-2010, 12:22 AM
I hope the guy wins ten gold gloves & ten silver sluggers. first of all because he's a Red. second of all because a ton of people not only gave up on him long ago but started to pick on the guy. i enjoy rooting for the underdog.

mbgrayson
05-13-2010, 12:24 AM

An update on the stat line: things have continued to go very well.

Through 29 games played in 2010 at Lynchburg, Mesoraco is as follows:

.340/.425/.641 for an OPS of 1.066 with 7 HRs, 23 RBIs, 13 BBs, and 16 Ks in 116 PAs.

Last year, in 347 PAs, he hit a total of 8 HRs, with a .692 OPS. Baseball America had him this year as the Reds #30 prospect, but they did note that he had experienced hand or wrist injuries in each of his first three pro seasons, and that "His injuries may partly explain his lack of explosiveness."

John Sickels 2010 Prospect Book rates Mesoraco as a "C" prospect this season, and had the same rating last year. Sickels evaluation this year of Mesoraco starts off with "When you invest $1,400,000 in a player, you don't want to admit that he sucks."

There might just be some real crow eating going on this next off season if Mesoraco can keep this performance up. Good luck Devin!

gedred69
05-13-2010, 01:36 AM
This guy was such a raw prospect and so young, that anybody that expected him to have a 2-3 year rise to the majors was expecting way too much. The things he needed to work on was a deep list. Fortunately, the Reds apparently saw a guy who was willing to do the mundane hard part and improve in such ways as to play and ultimately be successful in professional baseball, and make an impact someday in the Big leagues.

Kingspoint
05-13-2010, 02:33 AM
This guy was such a raw prospect and so young, that anybody that expected him to have a 2-3 year rise to the majors was expecting way too much. The things he needed to work on was a deep list. Fortunately, the Reds apparently saw a guy who was willing to do the mundane hard part and improve in such ways as to play and ultimately be successful in professional baseball, and make an impact someday in the Big leagues.

It was a heck of a draft pick when you consider that by drafting him, you'd (the GM at the time) never be around to see him reach the Majors.

bucksfan2
05-13-2010, 12:46 PM
It was a heck of a draft pick when you consider that by drafting him, you'd (the GM at the time) never be around to see him reach the Majors.

As a GM you can't draft scared. You never know how a player will pan out when you draft him. You have to trust you scouts as well as put faith in job security (that really doesn't exist). If you show the knack to draft well you will always have a job in baseball. If you draft for the present you end up with picks like Ryan Wagner.

Caveat Emperor
05-13-2010, 02:47 PM
I'm looking forward to BA's take on Mesoraco. They essentially dumped him as a legitimate prospect last year when he was not included among their list of the top 20-30 catching prospects in the minors, which I found unusual given that Mesoraco had been a first round pick recently (and they tend to value prospect pedigree quite highly).

They generally are slow to reverse course. So it should be interesting to see how they handle a 22 year old catcher, former first rounder, they just gave up on.

Let's not get carried away -- there's a LONG way to go in this season before anyone can proclaim that Thumbs really has turned a corner.

lollipopcurve
05-13-2010, 06:01 PM
Let's not get carried away -- there's a LONG way to go in this season before anyone can proclaim that Thumbs really has turned a corner.

Oh, right. While as a 22 year old catcher Mesoraco leads the Carolina League in slugging and is 2nd in OPS, we shouldn't say he's made significant progress or no longer deserves a derisive nickname.

dougdirt
05-13-2010, 06:02 PM
Oh, right. While as a 22 year old catcher Mesoraco leads the Carolina League in slugging and is 2nd in OPS, yet we shouldn't say he's made significant progress or no longer deserves a derisive nickname.

He is still 21 until late June.

lollipopcurve
05-13-2010, 06:05 PM
He is still 21 until late June.

Thanks. Gotta give you a lot of credit for continuing to believe in Mesoraco, Doug. My faith had dwindled far down.

Caveat Emperor
05-13-2010, 09:27 PM
Oh, right. While as a 22 year old catcher Mesoraco leads the Carolina League in slugging and is 2nd in OPS, we shouldn't say he's made significant progress or no longer deserves a derisive nickname.

He's played very, very well this year -- but it's been 29 games.

You need to balance those 29 games (in which he's, no question, mashed the baseball) against the other 200+ games he's played (in which he's, again no question, looked very average at best).

Hopefully he's improving and hopefully he'll continue to improve -- but when a player is *obliterating* his statlines from years past (to the tune of cutting his K-rate in half, improving his BA by nearly 100 points, and upping his OPS by a full .300), I need more than a few weeks to make any proclamations one way or the other. It's far too early to say any corners have been turned or anything has significantly changed about the kid. If he's still posting this line at the midseason point, we can start to talk about him being a legitimate top prospect again.

gedred69
05-14-2010, 12:46 AM
The important thing is, he is pounding the ball. But, what I haven't heard enough of is how is he doing behind the plate. Can he call a game? How is is arm? Is he able to fearlessly block the plate? His bat says he's ready for that make or break level, AA. What about his defense.....

OnBaseMachine
05-14-2010, 12:57 AM
From C. Trent's website:

Reynolds had just returned from watching Class AA Carolina and Class A Lynchburg, where another former first-rounder, catcher Devin Mesoraco, has been playing extremely well.

Mesoraco is tearing up the Carolina League, hitting .340/.425/.641.

"He's both offensively and defensively a bright spot," Reynolds said.

In Lynchburg, Mesoraco is playing for manager Pat Kelly, who has also served as the organization's catching instructor.

http://cnati.com/cincinnati-reds/alonso-promoted-to-class-aaa-001961/

dougdirt
05-14-2010, 02:24 PM
Baseball America ran an article yesterday about Mesoraco for subscribers. http://bit.ly/dpUQgS

GOYA
05-14-2010, 04:13 PM
"He's both offensively and defensively a bright spot," Reynolds said.

I can't help but remember the recent game in which he 3 passed balls.

Homer Bailey
05-28-2010, 07:22 PM
I like the Reds patience they've shown with him, but how long until we can expect him in Carolina? He's simply destroying High A.

camisadelgolf
05-28-2010, 08:26 PM
I like the Reds patience they've shown with him, but how long until we can expect him in Carolina? He's simply destroying High A.
Someone else has already said it, but I think the Reds'll let him play in the All-Star game and promote him almost immediately afterward. At that point, though, you'll have a glut of catchers in AA and above.

fearofpopvol1
05-29-2010, 02:16 AM
No doubt his bat is ready for AA, but is his glove?

dougdirt
05-29-2010, 01:09 PM
No doubt his bat is ready for AA, but is his glove?

His arm surely is. He is throwing out over 40% of attempted base stealers. I haven't heard anything negative about his glove either, in a long time.

redsof72
05-29-2010, 03:09 PM
Domino effect with the catchers moving up. Mesoraco to Carolina today.

mth123
05-29-2010, 03:10 PM
Domino effect with the catchers moving up. Mesoraco to Carolina today.

Big news. Who moved to AAA and how was the opening created?

GIDP
05-29-2010, 03:15 PM
Maybe one of the Reds guys got hurt? Maybe they are DLing Votto and calling up someone to take Hernandez spot as catcher? I dont know but if its true I'm kinda going to panic.

GIDP
05-29-2010, 03:16 PM
http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=4018809

The Cincinnati Reds organization announced today the promotion of Catcher Devin Mesoraco to Double-A Carolina. Mesoraco was hitting .335 in 43 games, fourth-best in the Carolina League. His 10 home runs was tied for second-best in the league. Mesoraco was also near the top of the league in On-Base Percentage (.414, third), Slugging Percentage (.620, first), Extra-Base Hits (23, third) and Total Bases (98, third)

Its true about him going to AA.

GIDP
05-29-2010, 03:17 PM
http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=4018810

C Chris Denove has been promoted to Triple-A Louisville, while C Devin Mesoraco has been assigned to Carolina from High-A Lynchburg.

muddie
05-29-2010, 05:04 PM
Maybe one of the Reds guys got hurt? Maybe they are DLing Votto and calling up someone to take Hernandez spot as catcher? I dont know but if its true I'm kinda going to panic.

It could be that Cairo has played well enough for the team to be comfortable committing Votto the the DL.

GIDP
05-29-2010, 05:05 PM
It could be that Cairo has played well enough for the team to be comfortable committing Votto the the DL.

Its not that. Hannigan is going the the DL, Miller is getting called up.