PDA

View Full Version : What other minor leaguers would make a good catcher?

icehole3
03-18-2010, 07:03 AM
other than Soto? http://www.sternfannetwork.com/forum/images/smilies/Happy/HappyWave.gif

GIDP
03-18-2010, 12:53 PM
Wilkin Castillo :P

klw
03-18-2010, 04:11 PM
Jerry Gil hasn't changed positions in a year or so and would have a nice arm behind the plate.

Scrap Irony
03-18-2010, 07:52 PM
Frazier and Francisco, though they're too advanced at this stage.

Oxilon
03-18-2010, 10:37 PM
Hah, no mention of the future HOF, Devin Mesoraco?

TC81190
03-18-2010, 11:03 PM
I don't see why you wouldn't make that an annual project, actually. Draft a guy around round 10 or so with a promising bat but maybe shaky as his position, maybe with a few athletic tools that you might think would allow him to play the decision. When you get that far in the draft, it's already a big gamble anyway, so why not go for a big payoff?

mth123
03-19-2010, 03:18 AM
Don't know about the arms and they would probably all be miserable failures, but I'd consider Cody Puckett, Byron Wiley, Logan Parker and Alex Bucholz

icehole3
03-19-2010, 04:35 AM
Is Wiley's arm strong enough because I think he'd be perfect

JayBruceFan
03-20-2010, 02:41 AM
Is Wiley's arm strong enough because I think he'd be perfect

Byron Wiley throws left handed

JayBruceFan
03-20-2010, 02:42 AM
Picture of Soto doing what looks to be catching drills:

http://www.photoshelter.com/c/fourseamimages/gallery-img-show/Cincinnati-ST-2010/G00001yh8PyN_vvU/?P_ID=P0000P4cK7qgKtpI&_bqG=87&_bqH=eJzzDDMuKy4MTMpyi3RO9cgvMzMP9agocvRw9iu3MjQws jI1sLJyj_d0sXU3AALDygyLgEq_.LKyULUAkGgASDTAJNnbvDD du6TAU83dM97d0cfHNSgSmyYARfkhWQ--&I_ID=I0000u1y5WAzuDqc

OnBaseMachine
03-20-2010, 03:03 AM
Picture of Soto doing what looks to be catching drills:

http://www.photoshelter.com/c/fourseamimages/gallery-img-show/Cincinnati-ST-2010/G00001yh8PyN_vvU/?P_ID=P0000P4cK7qgKtpI&_bqG=87&_bqH=eJzzDDMuKy4MTMpyi3RO9cgvMzMP9agocvRw9iu3MjQws jI1sLJyj_d0sXU3AALDygyLgEq_.LKyULUAkGgASDTAJNnbvDD du6TAU83dM97d0cfHNSgSmyYARfkhWQ--&I_ID=I0000u1y5WAzuDqc

Wow, that website is amazing. Thank you for linking to it. There's literally at least one picture of just about any minor league you can think of, including quite a few of Yorman Rodriguez and Juan Duran, one of Junior Arias and Humberto Valor, and few of Henry Rodriguez and Billy Hamilton. Awesome stuff.

JayBruceFan
03-20-2010, 03:13 AM
No Problem

Kingspoint
04-01-2010, 03:58 AM
For the record, I doubt if Soto would make a good Catcher. He might be able to play Catcher, but I doubt if he'd be a good one. He'd more likely be a Mike Piazza type of Catcher than a Mike Scioscia type of Catcher.

Players don't "become" Catchers. They become other positions after beginning as Catchers. It's extremely rare than anyone can move to Catcher from another position (unless they used to be Catchers earlier, but then that's not really a move to Catcher).

This is why you draft Catchers and Shortstops. These players can always move to other positions, not the other way around.

dougdirt
04-01-2010, 12:18 PM
For the record, I doubt if Soto would make a good Catcher. He might be able to play Catcher, but I doubt if he'd be a good one. He'd more likely be a Mike Piazza type of Catcher than a Mike Scioscia type of Catcher.

Players don't "become" Catchers. They become other positions after beginning as Catchers. It's extremely rare than anyone can move to Catcher from another position (unless they used to be Catchers earlier, but then that's not really a move to Catcher).

This is why you draft Catchers and Shortstops. These players can always move to other positions, not the other way around.

There are actually quite a few converts to catchers who are good catchers. The best catching prospect in baseball right now is a former third baseman (Carlos Santana).

Caveat Emperor
04-01-2010, 03:40 PM
There are actually quite a few converts to catchers who are good catchers. The best catching prospect in baseball right now is a former third baseman (Carlos Santana).

Heard he played a little bit of guitar on the side as well...

Kingspoint
04-02-2010, 10:28 PM

Quite a few? I didn't know there were that many. When I used the term "extremely rare", I was implying that one of ten become "good" converted Catchers (defensively speaking, of course). Perhaps the athleticism of today's athletes are catching up with the "rarity" that it used to be.

Soto looks extremely athletic. I'm "guessing" here, of course, but Soto's "high-side" should still be "average" defensively, which would be great considering his bat.