PDA

View Full Version : Transactions

redsof72
03-18-2010, 03:34 PM
Reds optioned to Louisville IF Yonder Alonso and LHP Bill Bray; optioned to Carolina RHP Jordan Smith and LHP Philippe Valiquette; assigned to Louisville RHP Jon Adkins and OF Josh Anderson.

dougdirt
03-18-2010, 08:43 PM
From C Trent on Twitter - Rest of the Reds moves: optioned to AAA: Del Rosario, LeCure, Valaika, Viola. Mesoraco assigned to AAA. Jukich returned, assigned to AAA

texasdave
03-19-2010, 12:15 PM
Procedural question:What is the difference between being optioned to AAA and being assigned to AAA?

dougdirt
03-19-2010, 12:21 PM
Procedural question:What is the difference between being optioned to AAA and being assigned to AAA?

Being optioned uses an option because the player was on the 40 man roster and didn't make the 25 man roster. Being assigned there means you were a non roster invitee who was sent to the minors. Simply being assigned there though doesn't mean that is where you will start the season.

Captain Hook
03-19-2010, 12:47 PM
From C Trent on Twitter - Rest of the Reds moves: optioned to AAA: Del Rosario, LeCure, Valaika, Viola. Mesoraco assigned to AAA. Jukich returned, assigned to AAA

I saw that the Cards were trying to work out a trade so they could keep Jukich and start him in the minors.I bet that was a phone call that Jocketty enjoyed.I have never herd directly from Jocketty that he has any hard feelings for the Cards but I'd bet he won't be doing them any favors anytime soon.

Degenerate39
03-19-2010, 01:11 PM
Devin Mesoraco is going to be in AAA?

Sea Ray
03-19-2010, 01:20 PM
Devin Mesoraco is going to be in AAA?

As Doug said... "not necessarily" and in his case I'd say definitely not

medford
03-19-2010, 01:32 PM
I think Hal had an update on the same question, its just a procedural move for now, Mes will start in AA

BLEEDS
03-19-2010, 05:24 PM
Anybody got any insight into Jukich?

Lefty. Looks to have a great K/9, but haven't heard much of him otherwise.

Would appreciate any scouting reports - personal or other - you all may have.

Thanks!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

dougdirt
03-19-2010, 05:32 PM
Anybody got any insight into Jukich?

Lefty. Looks to have a great K/9, but haven't heard much of him otherwise.

Would appreciate any scouting reports - personal or other - you all may have.

Thanks!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

As a starter he tops out around 88 MPH. Good breaking ball. Loogy option, but probably not much else given the depth the Reds have with starters and bullpen options.

BLEEDS
03-19-2010, 06:40 PM
As a starter he tops out around 88 MPH. Good breaking ball. Loogy option, but probably not much else given the depth the Reds have with starters and bullpen options.

Cool, thanks doug.

So, why the high K/9, does he have a solid "out pitch" or something? What gives?

PEACE

-BLEEDS

klw
03-19-2010, 08:17 PM

One problem with using him as LOOGY was pointed out by Fay. Lefties hit him better than righties.

Edit: It may not have been Fay as I can't find the link.

dougdirt
03-20-2010, 04:41 AM
Cool, thanks doug.

So, why the high K/9, does he have a solid "out pitch" or something? What gives?

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Can show a real good curve at times.

RedsManRick
03-20-2010, 03:40 PM
Cool, thanks doug.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

A good breaking pitch that you can control will get you good K rates in the minors. But you need to pair it with some other stuff, usually a good fastball, to sustain that in the majors.

redsmetz
03-20-2010, 03:46 PM
I think Hal had an update on the same question, its just a procedural move for now, Mes will start in AA

My friend who played for the Reds in the minors was surprised when we brought a copy of his transaction card from the Hall of Fame. He was shown on a number of different clubs while he was in the military, clearly procedural moving his contract around where there was a vacancy. I think we optioned a couple of guys to high A late last year too because of their season's ending, thereby making them available to the big club since the AAA season was in playoffs.

mdccclxix
03-22-2010, 09:02 PM
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/03/22/heisey-frazier-cozart-cut/

Heisey, Frazier, and Cozart heading for another year in the minors...could have seen this coming.

Nice to get looks at these guys, they'll likely be back to making us drool over their potential in a few weeks.

The mighty Juan Francisco is still standing...

BLEEDS
03-22-2010, 09:53 PM
Can show a real good curve at times.

A good breaking pitch that you can control will get you good K rates in the minors. But you need to pair it with some other stuff, usually a good fastball, to sustain that in the majors.

Thanks guys. Just curious why we wouldn't find a trade for him if he is just "average", they must like something about him.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Benihana
03-23-2010, 12:04 AM
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/03/22/heisey-frazier-cozart-cut/

Heisey, Frazier, and Cozart heading for another year in the minors...could have seen this coming.

Nice to get looks at these guys, they'll likely be back to making us drool over their potential in a few weeks.

The mighty Juan Francisco is still standing...

My guess is they'll all be up in the Bigs at some point this year. Heisey and Frazier are likely to be up before the All-Star Break.

mth123
03-23-2010, 07:32 AM
My guess is they'll all be up in the Bigs at some point this year. Heisey and Frazier are likely to be up before the All-Star Break.

I think all three need some sustained success in AAA. Sending them down was the right thing for the players and the team's future, even though they are all probably better now than guys like Cairo, Burke and Miles who are still around.

nemesis
03-23-2010, 10:21 AM
Going to be real upset when Miles makes it over Cairo or Sutton who are both way more deserving. I don't want to here back of the baseball card argument from management either. He has had 1 ok season in the last 3 or 4 years... The bench is going to be weak as is. All things being equal why not take the switch hitter with power and OBP skills and controlibillity vs the RH hitter with none of the above...

mth123
03-23-2010, 07:49 PM
Going to be real upset when Miles makes it over Cairo or Sutton who are both way more deserving. I don't want to here back of the baseball card argument from management either. He has had 1 ok season in the last 3 or 4 years... The bench is going to be weak as is. All things being equal why not take the switch hitter with power and OBP skills and controlibillity vs the RH hitter with none of the above...

Agree. Sutton should get the job or they should keep another OF. Heck I'd rather keep Castillo.

TheNext44
03-24-2010, 01:42 AM
Dodgers are shopping shortstop prospect (or former prospect) Chin-Lung Hu.

Dodgers shopping Hu (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/03/dodgers-shopping-stults-hu.html)

Any interest, or is he behind Cozart at this point?

TheNext44
03-25-2010, 11:24 PM
Seems like the Dodgers are shopping DeJesus as well. I really like this kid. Don't know if he is better than Cozart, but I'd make a call if I'm Jocketty.

DeJesus might be ready by 2012. But to answer your question, DeJesus is no longer considered the Dodgers' shortstop of the future. He probably projects as a utility guy -- or perhaps trade bait.

DeJesus on the Block? (http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/columns/story?id=5028900)