PDA

View Full Version : WADA president calls on MLB to test for HGH

oneupper
03-18-2010, 03:15 PM
Aside from the obvious: MLBPA doesn't want to, what good reason does Selig have, not to do this?

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AsMuW6jxuQ_ZOUcwDq2WSLYRvLYF?slug=ap-wada-mlb-hghh

Caveat Emperor
03-18-2010, 03:36 PM
I'd always heard, at least anecdotally, that HGH was extremely hard to test for with any accuracy. Maybe that was referring to solely to urine and not to blood, though.

Incidentally, is there a dumber name for an organization than the "Anti-Doping" Agency?

dougdirt
03-18-2010, 03:39 PM
I'd always heard, at least anecdotally, that HGH was extremely hard to test for with any accuracy. Maybe that was referring to solely to urine and not to blood, though.

Incidentally, is there a dumber name for an organization than the "Anti-Doping" Agency?

From everything I had heard, is that even blood tests for HGH are only accurate if its tested within something like an hour of HGH being entered into the body. Could be wrong now, but that is what I had always heard in the past.

oneupper
03-18-2010, 04:04 PM
This isn't new news, but apparently the minors are the "testing grounds" for testing.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4938135

bucksfan2
03-19-2010, 08:43 AM

The Olympic drug testing method is about as good as there is. They don't care, they stay on top of the new drugs and don't care if they offend any athletes by taking blood samples.

If my 91 year old grandpa can go in twice a month and get a blood test so can a professional athlete.

FWIW a rugby player in England was suspended for a positive HGH test. It was the first positive HGH test on record using non-blood drug testing.

redsfandan
03-19-2010, 08:57 AM
FWIW a rugby player in England was suspended for a positive HGH test. It was the first positive HGH test on record using non-blood drug testing.
I heard about that and I thought I also read that MLB was looking into that as a possible way to test players.

M2
03-19-2010, 11:00 AM
MLB should do it in order to put a fusillade into the side of the NFL, which doesn't dare test for HGH given that it would eliminate most of the league.

Yes, some players would get caught, but MLB could bill itself as the clean league and let sports writers start treating the NFL like it's the league full of chemically enhanced freaks (which it is).