PDA

View Full Version : Strasburg to AA

mattfeet
03-20-2010, 10:42 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2010/news/story?id=5012625

The Washington Nationals sent right-hander Stephen Strasburg to minor league camp Saturday, one day after this year's No. 1 overall draft pick struck out eight while giving up two homers in four innings of his third spring-training start.

Stephen Strasburg made three spring-training starts for the Nationals, giving up two runs on eight hits with 12 strikeouts in nine innings.
Strasburg was optioned to the Double-A Harrisburg Senators of the Eastern League...

Dude showed a lot of promise, Im sorta surprised he's not at least in AAA. He's probably disappointed, but I think they're doing the right thing and I hope the Reds follow suit, (maybe not AA, but rather AAA) with Chapman.

-Matt

Oxilon
03-20-2010, 11:53 AM
Similar to what happened to Jay Bruce and the Super-two status? Nats are going to be horrible for the next few years, so might as well bring up Strasburg in May, so they get an additional year for him? Than again, Strasburg may be on a major league contract so that could be a moot point. And if that's the case, I really don't know why they wouldn't bring him up at the start of the season.

Griffey012
03-20-2010, 12:12 PM
Seems like a poor move to me by the nats, I understand he wasn't going to probably open the season with the big club, but why not let him face as many big league hitters as he can in ST? He will likely just go to AA and mow down everyone he faces because he is a far superior talent compared to them.

GIDP
03-20-2010, 12:18 PM
Strasburg starting the season in the majors is probably a bad idea.

Good move my the Nats. Send him down get a good long look at him see how he reacts to certain things then let him earn the promotion.

A few innings in spring training isnt enough in my mind to say a guy is ready for the majors.

MBZags
03-20-2010, 01:38 PM
The move makes a lot of sense to me. Strasburg obviously possesses a gigantic amount of talent, but he needs to face professional hitters before throwing him against the big boys. Spring training is nice, but it's often not a true barometer for regular season performance. I like Rizzo's quote because it also echoes how I feel about Leake in particular:

"I'm not a believer that a player can come from amateur baseball and step right into the major leagues," Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said. "I've seen terrific prospects attempt it and the failure rate is too great. This is a prized asset."

Leake will be up sooner than later, to be sure, but there's no reason to start the clock early on someone. In the Nationals case, they're likely going to be atrocious anyway so there's not much of a point of keeping Strasburg in the majors. And in the Reds case, they have enough adequate pitching depth that they can afford to start Leake (and even Chapman, for that matter) in the minors.

gedred69
03-20-2010, 03:26 PM
AA is always the make or break level. To see a team's future, start by seeing what they got going on at AA. A friend who climbed the Rookie-Low A-High A-ladder with a bullet, hit that wall at AA. Poof! That was it for him. He says, "If you succeed at AA, you're good enough to make it. It's mostly mental tenacity after that". AA is a good place for Strasburg to start.

Vottomatic
03-21-2010, 06:21 PM
The move makes a lot of sense to me. Strasburg obviously possesses a gigantic amount of talent, but he needs to face professional hitters before throwing him against the big boys. Spring training is nice, but it's often not a true barometer for regular season performance. I like Rizzo's quote because it also echoes how I feel about Leake in particular:

Leake will be up sooner than later, to be sure, but there's no reason to start the clock early on someone. In the Nationals case, they're likely going to be atrocious anyway so there's not much of a point of keeping Strasburg in the majors. And in the Reds case, they have enough adequate pitching depth that they can afford to start Leake (and even Chapman, for that matter) in the minors.

Leake and Wood are Arroyo and Harang's replacement if we're out of contention at the Trading Deadline.

MBZags
03-22-2010, 12:36 AM
If they're pitching well, then I agree. My point was that Leake shouldn't start the year in the majors, due to inexperience, the Reds' pitching depth at the beginning of the season, and financial reasons.