PDA

View Full Version : Great article by Jamie Ramsey on Chris Heisey

OnBaseMachine
03-23-2010, 12:47 AM
Fantastic article by Jamie Ramsey. Heisey seems like a great person. I can't wait to see him in Cincy.

If you think Chris Heisey is a perfectionist, you'd be right. He often remarks how he should "do better." He had one of the best seasons a baseball player could have, yet he yearns to improve. He's an honest and wholesome man, a man of God, who feels he can also do better in life. Humble yet competitive, Heisey has the qualities of a Frank Capra character -- a role model not just for kids, but for adults alike.

Just like anyone else, Chris Heisey is a family man. He's dedicated to his wife, Lisa, who was also an athletic standout at Messiah College on the school's field hockey team -- "She's my wife, my batting coach, my nutritionist; she's really important" -- and he's the pillar of his immediate family, which includes his mother Linda, his younger brother Jon and his two younger sisters Katie and Jessica.

Full article:
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100322&content_id=8873128&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

Sea Ray
03-23-2010, 12:58 AM
Yeah, that's a nice article and all but haven't we learned after the Tiger Woods fiasco not to get too excited about athletes that are portrayed as "wholesome, a man of God and a role model"?

Let's hope he turns out to be a good ballplayer for our Reds and if he does then that's good enough for me. I know that us fans don't really know if any of these guys are good role models and if we don't hold them to that standard then we don't have to worry about being let down in the end.

dfs
03-23-2010, 11:45 AM
Yeah, that's a nice article and all but haven't we learned after the Tiger Woods fiasco not to get too excited about athletes that are portrayed as "wholesome, a man of God and a role model"?

Let's hope he turns out to be a good ballplayer for our Reds and if he does then that's good enough for me. I know that us fans don't really know if any of these guys are good role models and if we don't hold them to that standard then we don't have to worry about being let down in the end.

It's spring training, the writers have to write about something.

Chris Dickerson saving the landfills only takes them so far.

I'm glad for the color that such articles bring.

RED VAN HOT
03-23-2010, 08:27 PM
On a baseball note, it seemed to me that Heisey tried to prove that he had sufficient power to win the LF starting job. My sense is that he tried too hard to prove it this spring. It will be interesting to see if he can improve his power numbers and get his K/BB rate back under two.

VR
03-23-2010, 10:53 PM

I missed the Tiger Woods, "man of God" references.

GAC
03-24-2010, 05:22 AM

Yeah, so did I.

Nice article. No, it may not be relevant to some, when an an article delves into one's personal life and such issues as character. And that the only important issue is how he performs on the field. True.

But it's still a nice read. Good luck Chris.

Sea Ray
03-24-2010, 10:43 AM

The man of God reference comes directly out of the Chris Heisey article. Tiger was pumped up to the point that he might as well have been God...

Sea Ray
03-24-2010, 10:48 AM
Yeah, so did I.

Nice article. No, it may not be relevant to some, when an an article delves into one's personal life and such issues as character. And that the only important issue is how he performs on the field. True.

But it's still a nice read. Good luck Chris.

You're getting into specifics and missing the point. As you've seen I explained where that reference came from. The point is articles like this pump up this guy's character whereas we've seen from Tiger Woods, we don't really know the guy's character. The last thing any athlete should be is a role model. You're asking for a let down. Maybe Chris Heisey's a good guy, maybe not. I don't know.

GAC
03-26-2010, 05:46 AM
The last thing any athlete should be is a role model. You're asking for a let down.

That may be true; but the fact of the matter is, athletes are expected, and have always been, for the most part, role models, someone the fans (public) look up to and admire. Especially kids.

And that is not going to change because some may fall or show their human after all.

We, the public, a lot of times, seem to enjoy reading (and condemning) a high profile person when they fall or get into trouble. We put them on a pedestal, and then go after them when they let us down. So in that sense, our expectations placed on them may be unreal.

But we still like to read stories, like this Heisey one. And there is nothing wrong with extolling that either.

Sea Ray
03-26-2010, 11:03 AM
That may be true; but the fact of the matter is, athletes are expected, and have always been, for the most part, role models, someone the fans (public) look up to and admire. Especially kids.

In my opinion this has changed through the years. Tiger's just the most recent example but we've seen there were many others preceding him to the point now where I urge youngsters not to idolize athletes. Admire them for their talent but that's it. I don't think athletes are idolized like they used to and for good reason

When I was a kid, Pete Rose was everyone's hero and Cincinnati loved how he represented us...as a hard working, give 110% kind of guy.

Now that Pete is a black eye on the game of baseball I'd just as soon everyone forget that Pete was raised in Cincinnati and I'd certainly not want my son to idolize him.

Back to the article at hand, I don't like it because it's fluff and you don't know if it's really the full story. There may be negative sides to this player's personality that didn't come out in the article.

To those that love the fluff, great. I prefer to live in the real world and in that world I don't have any preconceived notions that my LF is a better guy than the Cardinals LF. It also means I won't be let down if it comes out that he beat up his girlfriend in HS, gets a DUI or fails a drug test.

GAC
03-26-2010, 12:45 PM
Again - nothing wrong with print stories/interviews, such as the Heisey one, as long as people keep it in perspective and realize their "idols" are human too. That way, IF they do fall, they won't be so overwhelmed.

And while athletes may be followed and idolized more for their abilities on the field, the public also likes to know the other, human interest, side too.

Everyone's different; but most, growing up, and even into adulthood, have and need their "heroes" and idols. Nothing wrong with that, again, as long as they can keep it in perspective and not turn into a Mark David Chapman because their hero disappointed them.