PDA

View Full Version : You Can Throw Your Calculators Away By morganensberg

westofyou
03-24-2010, 05:17 PM
http://morganensberg.wordpress.com/2010/03/23/you-can-throw-your-calculators-away/

What’s My Point?

Sabermetrics is the analysis of baseball through objective evidence, especially baseball statistics that measure in-game activity. The term is derived from the acronym SABR, which stands for Society for American Baseball Research. But professional baseball is not feeding sabermetrics the correct data for their conclusions.

jojo
03-24-2010, 05:24 PM
Sounds like paralysis by analysis to me.... :cool:

jojo
03-24-2010, 05:26 PM
BTW, some combination of hit f/x and pitch f/x is looming to do just what ME is suggesting.... there are some FO's who are currently building the infrastructure in their FO's (i.e. recruiting the statistical and programming expertise to build a saber program) to accomplish some form of what ME is describing...

Roy Tucker
03-24-2010, 05:37 PM
Blow up your TV, throw away your paper
Go to the country, build you a home
Plant a little garden, eat a lot of peaches
Try and find Jesus, on your own

RedsManRick
03-24-2010, 06:25 PM
I love this comment to the blog post as a response to one poster suggesting that saber people were just stat geeks and hadn't likely played the game.

How many actually played the game? I would guess almost all of them. Possibly no further than Little League or sandlot games, but I would bet 9 out of 10 stat heads have picked up a bat and glove at some point.

The thing to remember about sabermetric types is that they truly love the game. They love it so much, in fact, that they are willing to ASSIGN THEMSELVES math homework to figure out the best ways to play it. It’s the adult equivalent of sleeping in your uniform.

jmcclain19
03-24-2010, 08:29 PM
I actually really enjoyed Morgan Ensberg's column. New feed to add to the Google Reader.

I would venture to guess most big time proponents of sabermetrics would agree with most of Ensbergs points.

oneupper
03-24-2010, 08:38 PM
Good stuff. Morgan is supposedly transitioning into broadcasting. If his voice and diction aren't bad, he could do well.

Ron Madden
03-26-2010, 03:46 AM
I actually really enjoyed Morgan Ensberg's column. New feed to add to the Google Reader.

I would venture to guess most big time proponents of sabermetrics would agree with most of Ensbergs points.

Ditto. :thumbup: