PDA

View Full Version : Surprise of the spring

UPRedsFan
03-24-2010, 07:51 PM
What has surprised you this spring?

I have to say I'm a little worried about Burton. I know it's spring but a 6.0 ERA? Could Logan O. beat him out?

Also have to say Janish is impressing. Dave Concepcion part II? Is he finding his stroke and will he be able to put up .250 or .260? Davey couldn't hit either when he came up.

RedLakerFan24
03-24-2010, 09:02 PM
I Remember last year Masset had a really high ERA in spring training, my suprise is Drew Stubbs who started slowly but now is hitting, already 4 hr

BLEEDS
03-24-2010, 09:07 PM
I'm going to have to say Stubbs' 1.000+ OPS. I expected his power surge from last year to come down to earth a bit this year, but looks like it's the real deal, so far.

For the folks who said he had to out-hit Dickerson to win the CF job - I wasn't one of them - I think they got what they wanted.

Another thing about him, I knew he was fast - but not THIS fast. The announcers on the mlb.com game said he's easily the second fastest player ever to put on a Reds uniform outside of Deion Sanders - they might have said fastest in the ML, but don't quote me on that.
I guess on his inside the park HR, he absolutely FLEW around the bases.
This is another reason that his superior defense sometimes seems to be underrated, he makes it look so easy.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

SidneySlicker
03-25-2010, 12:22 PM
I'm trying to go into this season guarded, but as much as I try I'm finding it hard to temper my excitement. Could Stubbs be the 1 hole player that this team and organization has truly lacked for many years? I'm beginning to believe that some of the pieces and parts that successful team need to have are starting to come together, and the really exciting part is that they are young to boot.

One of espn baseball's talking heads were on a couple of days ago on the Mike and Mike show and one of the Mikes asked him, who is your surprise team for the NL this year. Paraphrasing "He responded by saying all the scouts I've talked to are saying the Cincinnati Reds. Now if feels like we say that every year, but that's what the scouts are saying"

So clearly baseball people feel that this team has potential, now it's a matter of maturing the youth and the rest putting together the kind of seasons we know they are capable of.

lidspinner
03-26-2010, 05:25 PM
I am gonna go with Drew Stubbs too.....I cannot vouch for his play outside of what I have seen on TV but my uncle lives out there and has watched the Reds 10 times this spring.....said that every time he see's Drew, he is amazed at how fast he is in the OF...said balls that are 100% getting to the gab are camped under by Drew.....said that when he hits a 2 hopper to the SS, the SS better get it out or Drew is getting a single......

I asked my uncle about a comparison.....he quickly jumped in and said he is quicker than Ichiro but not as good with the bat....

gedred69
03-26-2010, 08:49 PM
I don't see Stubbs as a surprise, but his performance lately after a shaky start, rather a relief. I think a lot this season depends on him being successful at 1st up. My hope is, he makes the "what coulda' been" of Hamilton, fade. God can he fly the bases!

flash
03-26-2010, 10:44 PM
I'm going to have to say Stubbs' 1.000+ OPS. I expected his power surge from last year to come down to earth a bit this year, but looks like it's the real deal, so far.

For the folks who said he had to out-hit Dickerson to win the CF job - I wasn't one of them - I think they got what they wanted.

Another thing about him, I knew he was fast - but not THIS fast. The announcers on the mlb.com game said he's easily the second fastest player ever to put on a Reds uniform outside of Deion Sanders - they might have said fastest in the ML, but don't quote me on that.
I guess on his inside the park HR, he absolutely FLEW around the bases.
This is another reason that his superior defense sometimes seems to be underrated, he makes it look so easy.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

second fastest Red behind Deion Sanders to every put on a Reds uniform. I doubt it. He may not even be in the top five for centerfield.

Sam Crawford, Reds centerfielder from 1899-1902 hit 51 inside the park home runs in his career 308 triples. Both are MLB records. He is in the Hall of Fame. i admit he didn't play centerfield most of his career. Might have been because he played with a guy named Cobb after going to the Tigers.

Edd Rousch, centerfielder for the 1919 world champions hit 30 inside the park home runs, 182 triples. He is in the HOF.

Vada Pinson hit 127 triples. He could easily be in the HOF.

Bobby Tolan's was the only player to beat Lou Brock in stolen bases before Morgan. His cousin Eddie set world records in the 100 and 200 meter dashes. The only guy he ever lost to was somebody named Jesse Owens.

Then there was Eric Davis and Billy Hatcher. And of course Sanders.

Come on MLB. Get real.

markymark69
03-26-2010, 11:17 PM
For me it's Mike Leake. The kid is in first pro camp and he doesn't seemed to be phased by it. The fact that he is still in serious contention for a spot in the rotation --- that's a big surprise for me.

BLEEDS
03-26-2010, 11:44 PM
second fastest Red behind Deion Sanders to every put on a Reds uniform. I doubt it. He may not even be in the top five for centerfield.

Sam Crawford, Reds centerfielder from 1899-1902 hit 51 inside the park home runs in his career 308 triples. Both are MLB records. He is in the Hall of Fame. i admit he didn't play centerfield most of his career. Might have been because he played with a guy named Cobb after going to the Tigers.

Edd Rousch, centerfielder for the 1919 world champions hit 30 inside the park home runs, 182 triples. He is in the HOF.

Vada Pinson hit 127 triples. He could easily be in the HOF.

Bobby Tolan's was the only player to beat Lou Brock in stolen bases before Morgan. His cousin Eddie set world records in the 100 and 200 meter dashes. The only guy he ever lost to was somebody named Jesse Owens.

Then there was Eric Davis and Billy Hatcher. And of course Sanders.

Come on MLB. Get real.

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, I thought it was Reds announcers talking about it - maybe Cowboy and Thom Brennaman ?

PEACE

-BLEEDS