PDA

View Full Version : Why has Matt Maloney seemingly fallen out of contention for the rotation?

malcontent
03-25-2010, 02:24 PM
Why has Matt Maloney seemingly fallen out of contention for the rotation?

He's been a starter his entire professional career. And I don't think that he came up with the idea of heading to the bullpen out of thin air.

I like both Leake and Wood, but I think Maloney has earned the #5 spot based on past performance and potential.

davereds24
03-25-2010, 06:01 PM
potential is the key word, and it doesn't go with Maloney.

ian_madden
03-25-2010, 10:03 PM
I personally think that Maloney is the best fit for this club at this time. He has experience at the AAA level and the major league level. If not, I think we need to move him to give him a chance someplace else. I don't we are being fair to him. I don't think he is a AAAA player, whatever that means. Give him a chance, he could be a good spot filler till the younger more talented guys are ready.

RedLegsToday
03-26-2010, 10:13 AM
At this point, I think I'd rather have any of Maloney, Wood, or Leake start Opening Day, as opposed to Harang. He looks terrible.

Ghosts of 1990
03-26-2010, 12:02 PM
potential is the key word, and it doesn't go with Maloney.

+1

I just don't think he's all that great. Dime a dozen, and if he were a righty with the same kind of stuff he'd be a AAAA ballplayer, meaning decent in AAA but not good enough to crack the bigs. Lucky that he is a southpaw.

gedred69
03-26-2010, 09:02 PM
+1

I just don't think he's all that great. Dime a dozen, and if he were a righty with the same kind of stuff he'd be a AAAA ballplayer, meaning decent in AAA but not good enough to crack the bigs. Lucky that he is a southpaw.

Agreed. Being a LHer is what makes Maloney worth serious look. I think the 5th spot goes to Owings by default at least early on, until somebody else earns a shot at it or he falls flat. The others either need more seasoning or will prove to not be good enough. Besides, how can Owings bat be omitted as a Pinch Hitter. As a reliever, his bat would rarely be available.

Griffey012
03-27-2010, 01:18 AM
At this point, I think I'd rather have any of Maloney, Wood, or Leake start Opening Day, as opposed to Harang. He looks terrible.

The same Harang that had a 4.21 ERA last year. I understand the excitement value of Wood or Leake starting opening day, but Maloney....lets get real...I would want my ticket money back, and I like the guy.

Chris Sabowned
03-27-2010, 04:59 PM
I like both Leake and Wood, but I think Maloney has earned the #5 spot based on past performance and potential.

I would say the opposite. Maloney could be a decent #5 starter for us sure, but what's his ceiling? I would say he's a glorified AAAA player at this point.

Leake and Wood have much higher ceilings and could end up being a big part of rotation for man years. I just don't see that out of Maloney.