PDA

View Full Version : Gammons: Reds dream big with Chapman (great article)

OnBaseMachine
03-25-2010, 03:50 PM
Fantastic article by Peter Gammons. He has some strong praise for the Reds later in the article.

Chapman's mentor and fellow Cuban refugee Tony Fossas later reminded me that in his previous appearance, Chapman was in a jam, 3-and-2, shook off the catcher and threw another changeup. Strike three. "And," says Fossas, "he didn't even have that pitch six weeks ago."

"He has the best left-handed fastball I've ever seen," says the Dodgers' Andre Ethier.

You look at Votto and Phillips and Bruce and Harang and Arroyo and Cordero, and you realize the core is there. Then you see Leake, and, especially, you see Chapman and that changeup and the 101 mph, and if you are a Reds fan, you can dream. Yes, it is March, but this is a team the Cardinals, Cubs, Brewers and everyone in the NL Central may be watching come the All-Star break, and beyond.

Read the full article here:
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100325&content_id=8924324&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

Mario-Rijo
03-25-2010, 04:08 PM
Yeah good stuff, I like how Gammons includes those who some don't as players who should help (Burton, Ondrusek, Hernandez). These guys and more are positive pieces to the puzzle.

Big Klu
03-25-2010, 04:26 PM
Back in the days before the internet, I used to buy the Sporting News Baseball Yearbook to get ready for Spring Training and the upcoming baseball season. Peter Gammons often wrote outstanding articles for that publication. The author of this article is the Gammons I remember from back then.