PDA

View Full Version : Justin Lehr and the fifth spot

SidneySlicker
03-26-2010, 10:48 AM
I don't want it to come off as rooting against him because I'm not, but I'd really like to see in this order Leake, Wood, Chapman get the fifth spot. I just think the Reds need to use the 5th spot to develop a youngin rather than a 33 year old with a low cieling. The Marlins have never shied away from throwing kids out there on the mound and I don't see any reason the Reds shouldn't either.

Hey Meat
03-26-2010, 11:13 AM
I don't want it to come of as rooting against him, because I'm not but I'd really like to see in this order Leake, Wood, Chapman get the fifth spot. I just think the Reds need to use the 5th spot to develop a youngin rather than a 33 year old with a low cieling. The Marlins have never shied away from throwing kids out there on the mound and I don't see any reason the Reds shouldn't either.

GABP-Great American Ballpark. That says enough for me. Pretty easy to get shelled in that place.

Griffey012
03-26-2010, 11:15 AM
I don't want it to come of as rooting against him, because I'm not but I'd really like to see in this order Leake, Wood, Chapman get the fifth spot. I just think the Reds need to use the 5th spot to develop a youngin rather than a 33 year old with a low cieling. The Marlins have never shied away from throwing kids out there on the mound and I don't see any reason the Reds shouldn't either.

At first glance I thought you said Lehr, Wood, Chapman and was kinda confused. Anyhow, I like the order, I would just swap Wood and Leake. I would also put Maloney in front of Leake and Chapman, just because I want them both to get some time in AA or AAA. However I definitely hope to see them both in the bigs by mid seasons assuming they throw well in AA or AAA.

SidneySlicker
03-26-2010, 11:25 AM
GABP-Great American Ballpark. That says enough for me. Pretty easy to get shelled in that place.

I don't know alot of that will fall on their mental makeup. I think Brian Price will do alot for our young guys. He's younger himself and I just see him as a guy they will be able to lean on, not just someone who understands pitching mechanics.

SidneySlicker
03-26-2010, 11:29 AM
At first glance I thought you said Lehr, Wood, Chapman and was kinda confused. Anyhow, I like the order, I would just swap Wood and Leake. I would also put Maloney in front of Leake and Chapman, just because I want them both to get some time in AA or AAA. However I definitely hope to see them both in the bigs by mid seasons assuming they throw well in AA or AAA.

I wouldn't have any problem swapping out Leake and Wood. I think Leake has a little better repetoire, but obviously Wood has the minor league experience. After Chapman's first couple of outings I was hoping he'd go north. However after the strained back, I've come to the realization that his body is gonna need time to adapt after going a year without real game pitching. I almost wouldn't mind seeing Chapman spend the year in double and or triple A. Leake from a polish standpoint seems to be pretty ready. Usually pitchers spend time in the minors to craft their offspeed pitches. To me leake kind of is what he is so while experience never hurts, I also don't really know how much it'd help him. Just my opinion.

Vottomatic
03-26-2010, 11:41 AM
If we don't contend, we will see two of Maloney, Lehr, Wood, Leake, and/or Chapman come August. Arroyo and Harang will be ghandhi (gone), Volquez won't be back healthy yet.............it will be Cueto, Bailey, and 3 of the above.

MBZags
03-26-2010, 02:10 PM
Well, Lehr's already been told that he isn't in the running for the fifth spot. And the Reds told him he has an outside shot at the bullpen, but I don't see it happening.

SidneySlicker
03-26-2010, 02:12 PM
If we don't contend, we will see two of Maloney, Lehr, Wood, Leake, and/or Chapman come August. Arroyo and Harang will be ghandhi (gone), Volquez won't be back healthy yet.............it will be Cueto, Bailey, and 3 of the above.

You are assuming someone will want them. Harang will have to have a decent year for anyone to take on his contract. Not sure someone is gonna pay 14mil for a guy who has a 4+ era and not sure the Reds would pay someone just to get rid of him. That being said lets hope Aaron has a good season.
imo Arroyo is such a mixed bag it's hard to project his value. Last year he did trend upward after the all star break, but I see him having a higher trade value as he'd be about 4mil cheaper with a little better production. imo

Griffey012
03-26-2010, 04:27 PM
I wouldn't have any problem swapping out Leake and Wood. I think Leake has a little better repetoire, but obviously Wood has the minor league experience. After Chapman's first couple of outings I was hoping he'd go north. However after the strained back, I've come to the realization that his body is gonna need time to adapt after going a year without real game pitching. I almost wouldn't mind seeing Chapman spend the year in double and or triple A. Leake from a polish standpoint seems to be pretty ready. Usually pitchers spend time in the minors to craft their offspeed pitches. To me leake kind of is what he is so while experience never hurts, I also don't really know how much it'd help him. Just my opinion.

Completely agree about Leake, from everything i've heard and read he is as polished as a pitcher can be out of college, and seems to be ready. I am most afraid of sending Leake straight to the majors just because based off history the track record of pitchers who do this is very unsuccessful careers. Nonetheless if I makes the team I will be very excited to watch him, and might be putting in my order for a Leake jersey.