PDA

View Full Version : Could the Reds make a deal with Seattle?

icehole3
03-28-2010, 06:18 AM
now they need starting pitching, do they have any decent catching prospects or good power hitting prospects??? http://www.sternfannetwork.com/forum/images/smilies/Happy/HappyWave.gif

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=MLB&hl=284858

Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse reports that the abdominal injury to Cliff Lee has the Mariners are "strongly considering" acquiring a starting pitcher.

RedsManRick
03-28-2010, 11:15 AM
My money would be on them simply bringing back Jarrod Washburn on the cheap -- i.e. a heavily incentivized contract (he's still a FA...).

Benihana
03-28-2010, 11:16 AM
Agreed. But if you could somehow pry away a Carlos Trunifel coming off an injury for a Maloney or an Owings, I'd be all over it. Not gonna happen though.

OnBaseMachine
03-28-2010, 12:03 PM
Apparently the Twins are gonna start shopping top catching prospect Wilson Ramos around now that they've signed Joe Mauer to a long-term contract. I'd love to see the Reds put together an offer for Ramos.

http://www.hotstove.com/2010/03/twins-will-look-to-deal-top-catching-prospect/

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/89308407.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUjc8LDyiUiD3aPc:_Yyc: aUU

Wilson Ramos' stats:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=ramos-001wil

REDblooded
03-28-2010, 01:43 PM
I definitely wouldn't mind seeing the Reds make a run at Ramos. They could use some pitching, and don't have a lot of great position prospects in their system...

Sea Ray
03-28-2010, 02:22 PM
My money would be on them simply bringing back Jarrod Washburn on the cheap -- i.e. a heavily incentivized contract (he's still a FA...).

How long would it be before he's stretched out enough to throw 100 pitches? It generally takes pitchers all of Spring Training to get to that point. I bet the Mariners are looking for a 5th starter from the get go.

fearofpopvol1
03-28-2010, 03:27 PM
Apparently the Twins are gonna start shopping top catching prospect Wilson Ramos around now that they've signed Joe Mauer to a long-term contract. I'd love to see the Reds put together an offer for Ramos.

http://www.hotstove.com/2010/03/twins-will-look-to-deal-top-catching-prospect/

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/89308407.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUjc8LDyiUiD3aPc:_Yyc: aUU

Wilson Ramos' stats:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=ramos-001wil

yes. this.

what would it take to pry him away? i'd be hesitant to trade leake, but i would do it if it landed ramos.

Benihana
03-28-2010, 03:31 PM
yes. this.

what would it take to pry him away? i'd be hesitant to trade leake, but i would do it if it landed ramos.

Twins need a closer. Cordero is too expensive, unless the Reds pick up almost his whole tab (doubtful).

My guess is the Twins would ask for Frazier and Masset. Would you do it?

Guacarock
03-28-2010, 04:13 PM
Twins need a closer. Cordero is too expensive, unless the Reds pick up almost his whole tab (doubtful).

Yes, that's a deal I'd take. Here's why.

Masset is expendable because we aren't going to find a trading partner for Cordero unless we're willing to eat most of his contract. If we are going to be paying him anyway, we might as well keep him as our closer. He's slowly slipping but he's still an elite closer and should remain effective at least through 2011, after which we can buy out his contract for $1 million.

In the meantime, we can let Burton, Ondrusek, Del Rosario and other young turks jockey to see who fills Masset's slot as RH setup man. Maybe none of them proves up to the task and that's a risk we would be taking. But then again, relievers are extremely volatile so Masset in 2010-2011 might not be equal to Masset 2009, either.

Losing Frazier would take a bigger toll because he looks like a certifiable hitting machine. That makes him quite valuable to an offense-challenged team like the Reds. But at the same time, we can always go out on a free-agent market and rent a slugger for a year or two, if need be. But it's not so easy to find or sign a stud catcher who's young enough to man the position possibly 3-5 years.

If we lose Frazier, then Francisco's stock rises with the team not only as Rolen's understudy at 3B but also as a potential LF solution. Francisco isn't as sure a deal as Frazier -- Juan's a boom-or-bust kind of prospect. But should he falter, we would still have Heisey or Alonso available for LF, and Sutton as a possible understudy to Rolen.

What about 2B? Frazier's been playing some there, but so far hasn't demonstrated the defensive chops to man the position day-in and day-out. If Valaika, Sutton or Janish can't step forward at 2B, then that's where we might need a free-agent, presuming we do deal Phillips before his $11 million salary kicks into effect. The future of 2B would be a concern, but history has shown -- you can patch and fill at 2B more easily and cheaply than you can snag a catcher.

Ramos not only has plus defense, but he can also hit. And coming from Venezuela, he ought to be sympatico with our young, promising brigade of Latin pitchers. Sign me up.

RED VAN HOT
03-28-2010, 04:41 PM
Agree, but I would rather give up Francisco than Frazier. That could be attractive to the Twins as it would give them a power bat at 3B. If he did not work out there, he would still be more valuable to an AL team because he could DH

Orenda
03-28-2010, 04:58 PM
I don't know anything about Ramos but just looking at his minor league numbers shows he doesn't take many walks. So is he a guy who will be able to continue to hit as he advances without improving plate discipline?

fearofpopvol1
03-28-2010, 09:42 PM

I would, yes. I do like both of those players, but they're role players in the grand scheme of the current team I think. The only way you wouldn't do that is if you planned on trading Phillips and slotting Frazier at 2B. Masset, who I do love, is only a reliever. He would be easier to replace.

Benihana
03-28-2010, 11:34 PM
While we're discussing other potential trade opportunities, the Rangers are searching for a backup corner infielder according to MLBTR. Max Ramirez and Brandon McCarthy are two players who are reportedly very available. Would you give up Todd Frazier for McCarthy and Ramirez?

I wouldn't do Frazier, but I would trade Juan Francisco or any other current backup infielder on the Reds 40 man roster. Ramirez would be a nice option at catcher going forward, and while the last thing we need is pitching, McCarthy could be a good buy low option and insurance in case a good offer comes along for Arroyo or Harang. Plus, a savvy GM could pick up Andy Marte and have him be the corner IF backup.

Meanwhile, maybe we should change the title of this thread to "Who Could the Reds make a deal with?"

Ravenlord
03-29-2010, 12:33 AM
Yes, that's a deal I'd take. Here's why.

Masset is expendable because we aren't going to find a trading partner for Cordero unless we're willing to eat most of his contract. If we are going to be paying him anyway, we might as well keep him as our closer. He's slowly slipping but he's still an elite closer and should remain effective at least through 2011, after which we can buy out his contract for $1 million.

In the meantime, we can let Burton, Ondrusek, Del Rosario and other young turks jockey to see who fills Masset's slot as RH setup man. Maybe none of them proves up to the task and that's a risk we would be taking. But then again, relievers are extremely volatile so Masset in 2010-2011 might not be equal to Masset 2009, either.

Losing Frazier would take a bigger toll because he looks like a certifiable hitting machine. That makes him quite valuable to an offense-challenged team like the Reds. But at the same time, we can always go out on a free-agent market and rent a slugger for a year or two, if need be. But it's not so easy to find or sign a stud catcher who's young enough to man the position possibly 3-5 years.

If we lose Frazier, then Francisco's stock rises with the team not only as Rolen's understudy at 3B but also as a potential LF solution. Francisco isn't as sure a deal as Frazier -- Juan's a boom-or-bust kind of prospect. But should he falter, we would still have Heisey or Alonso available for LF, and Sutton as a possible understudy to Rolen.

What about 2B? Frazier's been playing some there, but so far hasn't demonstrated the defensive chops to man the position day-in and day-out. If Valaika, Sutton or Janish can't step forward at 2B, then that's where we might need a free-agent, presuming we do deal Phillips before his $11 million salary kicks into effect. The future of 2B would be a concern, but history has shown -- you can patch and fill at 2B more easily and cheaply than you can snag a catcher.

Ramos not only has plus defense, but he can also hit. And coming from Venezuela, he ought to be sympatico with our young, promising brigade of Latin pitchers. Sign me up.

i really, really wish you were Mr. Jocketty's assistant.:thumbup::beerme:

Ravenlord
03-29-2010, 12:37 AM
Agree, but I would rather give up Francisco than Frazier. That could be attractive to the Twins as it would give them a power bat at 3B. If he did not work out there, he would still be more valuable to an AL team because he could DH

the Twins highly value defense, and as Guacarock noted, i have reseravations about their willingness to take on a one or another kind of guy (keeping in mind, i know nothing of Francisco's defense).

Sea Ray
03-29-2010, 09:40 AM
(keeping in mind, i know nothing of Francisco's defense).

I'll help you out a little:

"not good"

blumj
03-29-2010, 09:50 AM
The Twins also would seem to be almost overstocked at DH already, with both Kubel and Young as LF/DH, Thome as DH/PH only, and Mauer DHing when he needs a day off from catching. Maybe worse, if they got a decentl 3B, they'd have no place to play Nick Punto, which would be good in theory, but would it be worth risking a major crises of faith for the entire organization?