View Full Version : Mets still scouting Bronson Arroyo

Vottomatic
03-29-2010, 09:39 AM
http://z9ydz.th8.us/

Article was written March 28th.

Interesting.

Vottomatic
03-29-2010, 09:42 AM
Mets have crummy pitching prospects. We don't need any more outfielders, or first basemen. We really don't need a third or second baseman.

We only need future SS or Catcher, IMHO.

Ghosts of 1990
03-29-2010, 09:57 AM
I think we could use another RH hitter of some type with some veteran pop. More then anything, it might be a situation where we take less then Arroyo's market value to get rid of his salary and open up another spot in the rotation for Chapman/Leake/Wood

Vottomatic
03-29-2010, 01:03 PM
I wonder if the Mets reopened this trade idea or if after seeing our young pitchers in ST, our management decided to re-pursue it?

vottofan4life
03-29-2010, 01:33 PM
I think gettin rid of bronson would allow us to sign a right handed bat such as jermaine dye to play back up of and 1B and would bring in great leadership.

Say the Mets acquire Bronson and take either Aaron Miles or Maybe we do trade a Yonder alonso with him

Then the reds could pick up say Josh Thole? Omir Santos? Bobby Parnell? Fernando Martinez? Mike Pelfrey? Robinson Tejada?

Number_Fourteen
03-29-2010, 04:12 PM
I think we could use another RH hitter of some type with some veteran pop. More then anything, it might be a situation where we take less then Arroyo's market value to get rid of his salary and open up another spot in the rotation for Chapman/Leake/Wood

Agree, on the RH hitter front. However, I'm not wholeheartedly sold on giving up a workhorse pitcher that easily, can win 15 games this year. If the Reds are aiming to finish at the top of the division for '10, I think Arroyo will be a necessary piece to the puzzle, based upon his track record.

If the Reds are sub .500 by the trade deadline, I'd say move him for a key position prospect or two and the salary dump. On the other hand, if they're competitive at the deadline, AND either Leake or Chapman appear strong enough to take up the slack for the loss of Arroyo, then move him and go after the RH bat. If Harang can possibly bounce back to some semblance of his former self, moving Arroyo becomes an even easier decision, in the above scenario.

I really like Bronson, his work ethic and what's he done for the Reds since coming over. If the Reds can enjoy some great success in the near future, I'd like to see him as part of it. I'm not holding my breath on that one, but it would be nice.

MBZags
03-29-2010, 04:16 PM
I'd much rather see them take Harang if a trade is going to happen either now or during the beginning of the season. With Arroyo, we know exactly what he is going to provide for the Reds. However, Harang is much more up in the air. Of course, if the Reds are out of it by the deadline, I'd like to see both of them moved.

Number_Fourteen
03-29-2010, 04:24 PM
I think gettin rid of bronson would allow us to sign a right handed bat such as jermaine dye to play back up of and 1B and would bring in great leadership.

Not that you suggested otherwise, but I think Arroyo, himself, brings great leadership to the table already... just sayin'. BTW, I'm not sure about the man love for Dye. IMO, he's cooked, done. He's a shell of his former self as an outfielder, and on days Votto sits, Hernandez can play 1B & Hannigan, catcher.

To address your real point though, if you're going to move Arroyo, I'd want to plug in someone better and with less uncertainty than Dye. I'm not asking for a Matt Holliday, just something in between.

Hey, maybe, just maybe, someone like Francisco, Frazier, et al, might prove worthy enough as the everyday left fielder. Besides, I'm really curious to see what some of our young, surplus talent can do this year.

Number_Fourteen
03-29-2010, 04:25 PM
I'd much rather see them take Harang if a trade is going to happen either now or during the beginning of the season. With Arroyo, we know exactly what he is going to provide for the Reds. However, Harang is much more up in the air. Of course, if the Reds are out of it by the deadline, I'd like to see both of them moved.

Ditto, on "both of them moved".

Kingspoint
03-29-2010, 05:13 PM
Mets have crummy pitching prospects. We don't need any more outfielders, or first basemen. We really don't need a third or second baseman.

We only need future SS or Catcher, IMHO.

We could probably use salary relief.

BLEEDS
03-29-2010, 05:21 PM
We aren't trading Arroyo right now, no way. Not before the season.

We would probably go with Harang though, but it'd have to be a HUGE deal from the Mets.
I'm not sure what they can offer us that improves our team that much. Reyes would have been nice, but he's hurt/recovering so too risky, and we now have Cabrera penciled in.

It would have taken Jason Bay off their hands!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Vottomatic
03-29-2010, 06:28 PM
Yeah. I don't want Arroyo traded right now. Let's see how we do before we start dumping guys. Harang might not have it anymore, and Bronson is our workhorse.