PDA

View Full Version : Volquez could be ready by All-Star break

cinredsfan2000
03-29-2010, 05:39 PM
Just read on yahoo that volquez has started throwing from the mound and could/should be ready after the all star break. My question is isnt this rather soon ? Also typically what should expectations be after T.J. surgery ? I thought i read before that it's typically a full year removed from T.J. surgery before the pitcher is Back to "Normal" anybody have insite or general info regarding pitchers coming back from T.J. surgery.

Vottomatic
03-29-2010, 08:31 PM
Cards' Cris Carpenter recovered very well from it. He's dominant. I see no reason why Edison can't do the same.

defender
03-29-2010, 09:14 PM
Volquez had the surgery at the begining of August last year. I think it is possible to return right after the allstar break, but probably as a relief pitcher.

Caveman Techie
03-30-2010, 10:38 AM
I can't help but think back to Jose Rijo and think that if the Reds hadn't rushed him back after his injury, he would have had several more years of effective pitching left in him.

I would much rather EV take the full season off, and maybe do some rehab stuff in Winterball.

CRedsLarkin11
03-30-2010, 10:50 AM
I agree there isn't much reason to rush him back. He is very important for the next few years of this franchise. If we are still in it in August, bring him back for a playoff push in late August or September and if not... let him rehab slowly and get ready for 2011

nemesis
03-30-2010, 11:46 AM
Volquez had the surgery at the begining of August last year. I think it is possible to return right after the allstar break, but probably as a relief pitcher.

This.

markymark69
03-30-2010, 01:38 PM

I was going to say. After the All-Star break would put it about a year. Maybe a tad quick, but I think sometimes it depends on the individual as well.

BLEEDS
03-30-2010, 04:36 PM
Yeah, he didn't "just" have TJ surjery, he had some other surgeries.

I hope that they take their time with him. No need to rush him.

Even if we are in the race, we've got Chapman, Leake and Wood covering the 5th spot and AAA call-ups available.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

RedsATOfreak
03-30-2010, 08:18 PM
If this is true, I think that this will be a huge impact. It seems as though that around the All Star Break, our Reds turn sour and act as if they have no idea how to play baseball. So an addition like Edison would be great and/or a trade of somesort for the missing piece to the puzzle. But this is just a thought.

cinredsfan2000
03-30-2010, 08:45 PM
I guess it just seemed rather quick to me :eek:>shrugs < what do i know hopefully he comes back a beast .

Griffey012
03-31-2010, 01:33 AM
Yeah, he didn't "just" have TJ surjery, he had some other surgeries.

I hope that they take their time with him. No need to rush him.

Even if we are in the race, we've got Chapman, Leake and Wood covering the 5th spot and AAA call-ups available.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

What is the actual scoop on his surgeries then? I had only heard of the Tommy John, but have seen a few posts on here about him having more than that done. Can you fill me in?

mlh1981
03-31-2010, 08:36 AM
Dunno if you guys read "baseball prospectus" or not, but they painted a pretty dim picture for his future. Did anyone catch that, and if so, what did you think of it?

K30
03-31-2010, 10:43 PM
I can't help but think back to Jose Rijo and think that if the Reds hadn't rushed him back after his injury, he would have had several more years of effective pitching left in him.

I would much rather EV take the full season off, and maybe do some rehab stuff in Winterball.

i gotta agree with this, theres no reason to bring him back this year. Let him have the full season to recover. We have enough talent in AAA that can cover with him being gone for the full season..if he were to come back, i dont think it should be till aug/sept as a relief pitcher.

Griffey012
04-01-2010, 01:45 AM
Can anyone inform me as to what is going on? I keep hearing he had more than just Tommy John, but noone will answer what it was he had done. Also, there is apparently a Baseball Prospectus article about his dim future...I couldnt find it when I searched for it deeply on their website, anyone have a link or could summarize it? Thanks, I feel left out.

Griffey012
04-01-2010, 01:50 AM
Can anyone inform me as to what is going on? I keep hearing he had more than just Tommy John, but noone will answer what it was he had done. Also, there is apparently a Baseball Prospectus article about his dim future...I couldnt find it when I searched for it deeply on their website, anyone have a link or could summarize it? Thanks, I feel left out.

Kingspoint
04-01-2010, 04:02 AM
Let him have another Winter to heal.

No rush whatsoever with Volquez.

It's all about making a serious run in 2011 and beyond, anyway.

No reason this club can't win 90 games in each year of 2011-2015, and a healthy Volquez is important for that to happen.

Ghosts of 1990
04-01-2010, 09:33 AM
Call me a skeptic, but I don't think he'll ever be the same again and I'm not counting on us ever getting a full season of starts from him again. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he never regained the form that he had in 2008 and that was as good as it gets out of Volquez. Now, I hope that I'm wrong; but I think Carpenter and other pitchers who have regained form and health from this surgery had a little better mechanics then Volquez did. I know it can happen, and my fingers are crossed. But I am not counting heavily on this guy.

Let's just hope that Chapman, Bailey, Cueto don't follow suit.

bgwilly31
04-01-2010, 11:52 AM
I agree there isn't much reason to rush him back. He is very important for the next few years of this franchise. If we are still in it in August, bring him back for a playoff push in late August or September and if not... let him rehab slowly and get ready for 2011

I was just going to say this. Depends on if were in it or not. If were not in it, keep him out. pretty simple.

krm1580
04-02-2010, 11:28 AM

In addition to Tommy John surgery, Volquez also had surgery to repair a torn flexor mass as well. From what I heard there was much more concern about the flexor mass surgery than the TJ surgery.

TJ surgery is pretty standard. They fix the torn ligament and add an additional one so technically the elbow is stronger afer the surgery than before. Flexors are on the other hand are muscles which could mean less velocity. I don't know for sure I am not a doctor. Whatever the case I would look a Volquez as more of a bonus IF he returns to where he was much more than I would look at him as a given.

Griffey012
04-02-2010, 05:14 PM
In addition to Tommy John surgery, Volquez also had surgery to repair a torn flexor mass as well. From what I heard there was much more concern about the flexor mass surgery than the TJ surgery.

TJ surgery is pretty standard. They fix the torn ligament and add an additional one so technically the elbow is stronger afer the surgery than before. Flexors are on the other hand are muscles which could mean less velocity. I don't know for sure I am not a doctor. Whatever the case I would look a Volquez as more of a bonus IF he returns to where he was much more than I would look at him as a given.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, I appreciate it. I tried to do a little research on that type of surgery and couldn't find much at all...but it definitely makes things a little more serious. Let's hope it all turns out just fine.

big boy
04-03-2010, 01:50 PM
Let him have another Winter to heal.

No rush whatsoever with Volquez.

It's all about making a serious run in 2011 and beyond, anyway.

No reason this club can't win 90 games in each year of 2011-2015, and a healthy Volquez is important for that to happen.

Agreed, they could also give Volquez some innings out of the bullpen if he returns early.