PDA

View Full Version : Hot Stove League show report

Chip R
03-30-2010, 10:08 PM
Here is the Reds Hot Stove League show report for 3-30-10. Marty and Jim Kelch were the hosts tonight from Arizona. Marty said Harangís recent performances may be causing some concern with Dusty and the Reds brass although those concerns could be put to rest with a great performance on Opening Day. Jim said that you hope there isnít anything physically wrong with him and there doesnít appear to be. He said Price has helped him out and Harang felt it was working up to a couple of starts ago. Jim said he never really looked like he was in command. Marty agreed and said he did strike out 6 in 4 2/3 but he gave up 2 walks which is very un-Harang like.

The first caller asked how far will the Reds let Harang go if he does poorly to begin the season. Marty said he thinks they will let him go a long time because they have so much money invested in him. Marty said that he should get 6-10 starts before they take him out of the rotation if he pitches poorly. The caller said that if money plays such an important part, Chapman needs to be in the rotation to start the season to get people to come out and watch him pitch. Marty said we donít know what Chapman will do and heís not going to make the team because heís not ready yet. Marty said heíd only be a factor if he gets people out in the minors and then you have to make the decision to bring Chapman up.

The next caller asked Jim if he felt the Reds will eventually hit. Jim said they had more hits than S.D. today and you hope that their inability to hit this spring doesnít carry over into the regular season. Marty agreed and said that they arenít trying to be alarmists.

After commercial, the next caller asked who would be the CFer, Stubbs or Dickerson. Marty said for his money, Stubbs. The caller asked who would be the utility IFer, Sutton, Miles or Burke. Marty said that he would go with Sutton. The caller asked who will make the team between Nix and Balentien. Marty said he thinks both will make the team at the start of the year since they wonít need a 5th starter until Sunday or Monday after Opening Day but when they do bring up the 5th starter, he thinks Nix will stay.

The next caller asked if the Reds should have got a RH power hitter. Jim said he thinks they tried but they re-signed Rolen and picked up Cabrera since both are upgrades over the starters from last season. Jim said that the Reds re-signed Razor Ramon too. (Oh boy! The second coming of Johnny Bench.)

The next caller said that while he believes the Reds will have a break even or winning season, they still strike out a lot and they donít play small ball that well. (They didnít play big ball very well last year either.) Marty said he doesnít disagree and they will have to play some measure of small ball. He said if they did have a big hitter in the middle of the lineup, it would make a big difference. Marty said the biggest single concern is the lack of offense and they havenít seen anything that makes you believe that they wonít have a problem scoring runs. Jim agreed and said the addition of Stubbs and Dickerson gives the Reds speed on the bases (Only if they can get on base)

The next caller asked if this is the worst record the Reds have had during ST. Jim said come Monday, no one will care what their record was. Marty said the ST record is only a concern continues into the regular season and then you realize that ST was the beginning of a pattern that carried over.

The next caller asked if Volquez comes back and Chapman is promoted to the majors, that gives you 7 starters and what will dictate who goes out of the rotation: money or performance. Marty said that wonít happen until August at the earliest but if that does happen, itís a nice problem to have. The caller asked who wonít make the team. Marty said thatís too general of a question. He said that they will cut some more players on Thursday after the game in Vegas.

After commercial, the next caller asked how they see the division shaping up. Marty said the Cards are the favorite then itís the Reds, Cubs and Brewers fighting to be in the mix. He said he doesnít believe PIT or HOU will be factors. Jim agreed.

Marty said that he thinks the following people will be on the 25 man roster come opening day. Rotation: Harang, Arroyo, Cueto, Homer and either Wood or Leake. Bullpen: Cordero, Herrera, Massett, Owings, Rhodes and either Burton or Ondrusek. Catchers: Hernandez and Hanigan. Infielders: Votto, Phillips Cabrera, Rolen, Janish and Sutton. Outfielders: Gomes, Nix, Balentien, Stubbs, Dickerson and Bruce. Jim said he sees it the same way. (Good job, Jim. Make sure you donít disagree with Marty if you want a long career here.) Jim said that he wouldnít be surprised if they take Ondrusek over Burton. Marty said Burton hasnít pitched well and Ondrusek has pitched off the charts well. (So did the Galloping Gonad.) Marty said it will come down to how they pitch the rest of the way but he said that the Reds might already have their minds made up. Jim said the other question is the utility IF spot. He said Miles hasnít played well (But he was the key in getting rid of Willy T.) Jim said that when you want to spell Cabrera, you want someone in there who can step in and do a great job at SS. Marty said you have to put Lincolnís name in the mix but if it comes down between him and Owings, Owings should have the advantage because of his hitting ability. Jim said Owings has had better numbers. Marty said this will be determined sometime tomorrow after the games on Wednesday.

This is the last show for this off-season and I want to thank everyone for reading these reports and for your positive comments. It isnít always easy listening to some of these callers but I try to have fun with it and hopefully entertain and inform you. Hopefully the next one I do will be about the great run the Reds had in the post season. Thus endeth the Reds Hot Stove League report for 3-30-10. So let it be written. So let it be done.

OnBaseMachine
03-30-2010, 10:12 PM
Thanks Chip. I enjoyed reading each and every one of these.

Kc61
03-30-2010, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the very enjoyable reports.

HeatherC1212
03-30-2010, 10:33 PM
You're a saint Chip. Thanks for posting all these reports! :thumbup:

Crosley68
03-30-2010, 11:03 PM
I appreciate your effort greatly Chip :beerme:

Spring~Fields
03-30-2010, 11:43 PM
This is the last show for this off-season and I want to thank everyone for reading these reports and for your positive comments. It isnít always easy listening to some of these callers but I try to have fun with it and hopefully entertain and inform you. Hopefully the next one I do will be about the great run the Reds had in the post season. Thus endeth the Reds Hot Stove League report for 3-30-10. So let it be written. So let it be done.

You do this very well, above and beyond. I actually read your work in these reports for those very items, because you are informative and entertaining.

Thank you.

Mainspark
03-31-2010, 12:24 AM
Chip. let me add my thanks for these weekly reports.
Reading your summary of the broadcast is a thousand times preferable to actually listening to the Hot Stove League, with its mind-numbing number of commercial delays and calls from ill-informed "fans" who at times appear not that far removed from the most troubling characters in "Deliverance."
I often feel like you've thrown yourself on a grenade, for me and other Reds Zone members, in your willingness to endure this usually nightmarish program, and then recount the high points and low points, in an always entertaining fashion, for our benefit.

GAC
03-31-2010, 04:16 AM
Thanks Chip. As usual they are always a great read.

icehole3
03-31-2010, 04:48 AM
another great off season Chip, thx again :notworthy

Ron Madden
03-31-2010, 04:52 AM
Thanks Chip, :thumbup:

mth123
03-31-2010, 06:35 AM
Thanks Chip. As usual they are always a great read.

Agreed. Thanks Chip.

Roy Tucker
03-31-2010, 08:04 AM
(So did the Galloping Gonad.)

Thanks, Chip. Coffee through the nostrils. You just made my morning. :lol:

And continued thanks for doing these reports. I usually hear parts of the HSL on my drive home and you do a great job on these.

bucksfan2
03-31-2010, 08:31 AM
:thumbup: Thanks!

IowaRed
03-31-2010, 08:48 AM
as the great Col. Henry Blake would say, "mucho appreciado"

lollipopcurve
03-31-2010, 09:02 AM
Yeoman's work, Chip. Appreciate the effort and the asides!

Unassisted
03-31-2010, 09:23 AM
Thanks, Chip. I appreciate the time and effort you put into these. :thumbup:

dfs
03-31-2010, 10:28 AM
This is the last show for this off-season and I want to thank everyone for reading these reports and for your positive comments. It isnít always easy listening to some of these callers but I try to have fun with it and hopefully entertain and inform you.

Lifesaver. My life is better and longer because you do this.