PDA

View Full Version : Could there be a trade?

Kc61
03-31-2010, 03:44 PM
Maybe Dickerson gets traded. He's logged a lot of CF time this spring for a guy likely to play LF. Have they been showcasing him for a trade?

Maloney seems to be out of the running for the fifth spot, yet it seems pretty pointless to send him back to AAA. Could the Reds move him to another club?

IMO, the Reds could use another reliever capable of pitching in the late innings. Cordero closes, leaving only Masset and Rhodes as true late inning guys.

Reds have a bunch of utility infielders, but other than Janish none is a lock to stick. They could use a good utility player who hits.

Seems to me there are needs and there are guys to trade. Wonder if something happens in the next couple of days.

Ron Madden
03-31-2010, 03:48 PM
There could very well be a trade before Opining Day.

I'd be upset if Dickerson or Maloney were traded for a middle inning reliever.

Kc61
03-31-2010, 03:52 PM

I'd be upset if Dickerson or Maloney were traded for a middle inning reliever.

I'm talking about a solid reliever who can pitch the 7th or 8th inning. I'd consider trading Dickerson for the right one. I don't mean a 5th-6th inning long-middle relief guy.

TRF
03-31-2010, 03:54 PM
I'm talking about a solid reliever who can pitch the 7th or 8th inning. I'd consider trading Dickerson for the right one. I don't mean a 5th-6th inning long-middle relief guy.

Is that a need? I don't see it.

Now if the Reds could get Seth Green from the Rockies to be the everyday LF, I'd do that. His home/away splits are extreme, but I think he can adjust.

RED VAN HOT
03-31-2010, 04:10 PM
I can't see the Reds keeping both Dickerson and Nix. Dickerson has more trade value, perhaps as much as he will ever have.

I would hate to see Maloney go, but I see the logic in moving him. The Reds did not give him a long look as a starter and he was less than impressive in relief. I agree that it does not make sense to send him back to AAA. Besides, the rotation there is already crowded. I think he deserves a chance to be a major league starter elsewhere.

REDblooded
03-31-2010, 04:12 PM
I'd gladly take Gregerson from SD if they were listening... Will Venable is a AAAA of'r at best.

Bumstead
03-31-2010, 05:18 PM
You mean Seth Smith? Dickerson is a better fielder with about the same power. Smith may hit for a higher average. I don't see the advantage other than Smith reaches arbitration faster...

Kc61
03-31-2010, 05:22 PM
I'd gladly take Gregerson from SD if they were listening... Will Venable is a AAAA of'r at best.

Gregerson is one I had in mind. SD apparently is stressing speed in their big stadium, and Dickerson would fit in. Gregerson would handle a lot of important innings for the Reds.

I always worry about the bullpen. In this day of 6 inning quality starts, you need depth of effective relievers. Just a couple of good names is insufficient.

GADawg
03-31-2010, 05:38 PM
Is that a need? I don't see it.

Now if the Reds could get Seth Green from the Rockies to be the everyday LF, I'd do that. His home/away splits are extreme, but I think he can adjust.

i didn't look up his splits but I'm guessing I know which is the good part of extreme and which is the bad part of extreme....I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for someone in that situation to "adjust".

TRF
03-31-2010, 06:13 PM
i didn't look up his splits but I'm guessing I know which is the good part of extreme and which is the bad part of extreme....I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for someone in that situation to "adjust".

Holliday did. eventually.

fearofpopvol1
03-31-2010, 06:49 PM
The Reds should really be looking to trade a lot of these fringe or "depth" guys for missing pieces to the puzzle to improve the major league club. Problem is, I think the Reds feel satisfied with Cabrera at SS and Hernandez at C and the other spots are pretty much locked in. They probably could use a better utility IF (Sutton is pretty bad). I don't know what other positions they would trade for to help out the big club other than relief, but even there, they're in pretty good shape (outside of Lincoln).

GADawg
03-31-2010, 06:52 PM
Holliday did. eventually.

good point....you say tomOto, I say tomAto...you say Holliday, i say Bichette.:D

TRF
03-31-2010, 06:54 PM
Bichette left colorado at age 36. not a fair comparison really.

Green is still young enough to adjust and be a good hitter away from Colorado.

GADawg
03-31-2010, 07:15 PM
Bichette left colorado at age 36. not a fair comparison really.

Green is still young enough to adjust and be a good hitter away from Colorado.

i was really just making a joke. I realize Dante jokes aren't as funny as Willy T or Milton jokes but I was hoping that being more rare would make it funnier.

Seriously I'm still all about seeing what Gomes can do...I love me some Brandon Phillips but I'm thinking Gomes would be better hitting 4th for awhile...you know if we HAVE to go left, right, left

pahster
03-31-2010, 07:58 PM
I can't see the Reds keeping both Dickerson and Nix. Dickerson has more trade value, perhaps as much as he will ever have.

Nix isn't a fit for the Reds. The dude just can't find his way to first often enough. They already have too many other guys with that problem.

Brutus
03-31-2010, 08:11 PM

Not sure I agree on Venable.

He's just now going on 27. He's tearing it up this spring to the tune of 4-11 and 9 stolen bases with a .351-.413-.737-1.150 line.

Now, granted, it's spring, but he hit 12 homers in 293 at-bats last year in a tough pitcher's park and had 24 homers between San Diego and Portland.

He's got a real chance to be a 20-20 outfielder as a lefty that plays solid defense. I would take him in a heartbeat.

_Sir_Charles_
03-31-2010, 08:12 PM
The Reds should really be looking to trade a lot of these fringe or "depth" guys for missing pieces to the puzzle to improve the major league club. Problem is, I think the Reds feel satisfied with Cabrera at SS and Hernandez at C and the other spots are pretty much locked in. They probably could use a better utility IF (Sutton is pretty bad). I don't know what other positions they would trade for to help out the big club other than relief, but even there, they're in pretty good shape (outside of Lincoln).

I look at it the other way. They should deal the excess pieces in the minors to fill holes in the minors. The big club doesn't really have holes to fill that our extra pieces can really fill. We could use a slick fielding SS with a solid bat. Our minor league scraps aren't going to fill that via a trade. Same goes for the catcher's position IMO. Now I could see us getting a solid upgrade for LF via a trade, but I think I'd wait and see how Francisco and Alonso do in that position first. If they defend well there...it's no longer a need.

So I'd deal our multiple blocked players for low minors kids with high upside. It seems to me that the place that we're looking shorthanded is in single A and rookie ball. AAA and AA look pretty solid right now.

mth123
03-31-2010, 08:32 PM
Most likely dealt:

1. Lincoln
2. Burton
3. Maloney
4. Alonso
5. Janish

JMO

Ron Madden
04-01-2010, 03:46 AM
Nix isn't a fit for the Reds. The dude just can't find his way to first often enough. They already have too many other guys with that problem.

I'm afraid you're right. I'm also afraid Dusty will lobby to keep Nix on the roster just because he has experience and bats LH.

If they trade Dickerson, Maloney or any other valuable trading chip for a relief pitcher Bob needs to fire Walt and Dusty both and start from scratch.

chicoruiz
04-01-2010, 09:26 AM
Masset and Wood to the Twins for Wilson Ramos and something else?

TRF
04-01-2010, 11:28 AM
We could use a slick fielding SS with a solid bat.

um, so could just about every team. That's as rare a bird in baseball as it gets.

btw, Janish is tearing it up this ST.

Mario-Rijo
04-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Masset and Wood to the Twins for Wilson Ramos and something else?

Seems like a bit much to me, I'd pass.

RED VAN HOT
04-01-2010, 05:04 PM

I think it depends on the role. I agree that Dickerson is the better all around player. Nix has the edge, however, in power. Nix could be viewed as the better choice if the club is satisfied with Stubbs playing every day and is looking for LH power off the bench.

gm
04-01-2010, 05:29 PM

Isn't every day Opining day? (Especially if you still watch Bill O'Reilly)

RedEye
04-01-2010, 05:33 PM
Isn't every day Opining day? (Especially if you still watch Bill O'Reilly)

Ick. Not sure why I'd ever watch him in the first place. But yes, I too noticed the slip in spelling--and I really hope that 2010 marks the start of something special for the Reds (and not just another season of many opining days).

bucksfan2
04-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Most likely dealt:

1. Lincoln
2. Burton
3. Maloney
4. Alonso
5. Janish

JMO

1. Lincoln. Don't see why a team would trade for Lincoln. I think many would agree that Lincoln stands a good chance of being DFA'd at some point early in the season. No sense trading for him.

2. Talk about the sell low proposition. Burton has options and I think the Reds will use them. No sense in trading him if they feel he can bounce back to his 2008 form.

3. Maloney is an interesting case. Something can be said for having a reliable 6th or 7th starting pitcher. If that means Maloney pitches out of the pen as a Red or starts in Louisville, he has some value to the Reds. But I do think that if some team (think Reds of 5 years ago) think Maloney can be a 4th or 5th starter than I can see a deal being made.

4. If the Alonso to LF experiment picks up momentum then I don't think he is moved. If Alonso ends up playing 1b with Louisville then he is a goner.

5. Janish. I see no way the Reds trade him. Especially with their commitment to defense I don't see the Reds giving up on him unless someone pushes their way into the major league picture. Right now Janish is the only SS of the future. If Cozart has a hot start then I can see Janish being moved. But I don't know about his value on the open market.

mth123
04-02-2010, 07:25 AM
1. Lincoln. Don't see why a team would trade for Lincoln. I think many would agree that Lincoln stands a good chance of being DFA'd at some point early in the season. No sense trading for him.

2. Talk about the sell low proposition. Burton has options and I think the Reds will use them. No sense in trading him if they feel he can bounce back to his 2008 form.

3. Maloney is an interesting case. Something can be said for having a reliable 6th or 7th starting pitcher. If that means Maloney pitches out of the pen as a Red or starts in Louisville, he has some value to the Reds. But I do think that if some team (think Reds of 5 years ago) think Maloney can be a 4th or 5th starter than I can see a deal being made.

4. If the Alonso to LF experiment picks up momentum then I don't think he is moved. If Alonso ends up playing 1b with Louisville then he is a goner.

5. Janish. I see no way the Reds trade him. Especially with their commitment to defense I don't see the Reds giving up on him unless someone pushes their way into the major league picture. Right now Janish is the only SS of the future. If Cozart has a hot start then I can see Janish being moved. But I don't know about his value on the open market.

Lots of teams with some injuries to the staff. The Phillies with Lidge, Romero and Blanton all on the DL. The Cubs with Guzman and Lilly. The Brewers with Suppan, Riske and Hawkins, the Twins with Nathan, the Dodgers with Belisario and Kuo, the Red Sox with Tazawa, Bonser and Matsuzaka, the Royals with Meche, the Rockies with Street.

Now is the time to move an excess guy like Burton for something. The fact that he has an option just makes him more marketable. Even a guy like Lincoln might be a 7th inning option for some team. The Reds have younger, cheaper better options right now, but I think a guy like Lincoln would actually improve the Cubs pen.

Some of these teams may have their own 13th and 14th pitchers to fill in, but a team like the Cubs who is struggling to find enough bodies or the Phillies who were hit with a few late injuries at once, may be willing to take on a little money or give up something for a borderline arm who seems to be falling out of his team's plans. If the Reds could send Lincoln and say a Million bucks to the Cubs for a PTBNL, it's better than eating the entire $2.5 Million. I think trying to work out deals like these is exactly why the cuts have been delayed.

That said, I don't think anything major that would improve the 2010 reds is in the works. Just an attempt to move some excess guys. Alonso and Maloney probably stick around. Maybe Wlad is another guy that the Reds may be trying to find a home for.