PDA

View Full Version : Twins OF hits foul ball that strikes his mother

UKFlounder
03-31-2010, 04:33 PM
What are the odds of this?

Minnesota Twins outfielder Denard Span hit a foul ball that struck his mother in the chest in the first inning of Wednesday's spring training game against the New York Yankees.

Rest of the story: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2010/news/story?id=5043987

oneupper
03-31-2010, 04:56 PM

Minnesota Twins outfielder Denard Span hit a foul ball that struck his mother in the chest in the first inning of Wednesday's spring training game against the New York Yankees.

Rest of the story: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2010/news/story?id=5043987

At Spring Training, the odds might not be that long. Good thing the Mom's OK.

HeatherC1212
03-31-2010, 04:58 PM
A former Orioles player (Jay Gibbons) accidently hit his wife with a foul ball during one of their regular season games a few years ago. I guess it does happen sometimes! :eek:

reds44
03-31-2010, 04:59 PM
Didnt Chuck Knoblach hit Steve Lyon's mom with an errant throw?

TheNext44
03-31-2010, 05:07 PM

I believe it was Keith Olbermann's mom. But I'm fuzzy on that.

Roy Tucker
03-31-2010, 05:22 PM
A former Orioles player (Jay Gibbons) accidently hit his wife with a foul ball during one of their regular season games a few years ago. I guess it does happen sometimes! :eek:

Accidently? Yeah, uh-huh, sure. ;)

westofyou
03-31-2010, 05:36 PM
During an August 17, 1957 game, Richie Ashburn hit a foul ball into the stands that struck spectator Alice Roth, wife of Philadelphia Bulletin sports editor Earl Roth, breaking her nose. When play resumed, Ashburn fouled off another ball that struck Roth while she was being carried off in a stretcher. Ashburn and Roth would maintain a friendship for many years and her son later served as a Phillies batboy.

Will M
03-31-2010, 08:16 PM

actually they are 100% :D

WebScorpion
04-01-2010, 01:21 AM

Yea, but the smaller group is the list of people Knoblach DIDN'T hit with an errant throw. :ughmamoru

LINEDRIVER
04-01-2010, 03:28 AM
MAY 14, 1939… HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY AND WELCOME TO THE BIG LEAGUES, MOM!!…Bob Feller, the Cleveland Indians’ 20-year-old pitching sensation, is visited by his parents on ‘Mother’s Day’ at Chicago’s Comiskey Park. The Feller’s, making the trip from the family farm in Van Meter, Iowa, are given box seats along the first base line. Mrs. Feller, watching her son pitch in the major leagues for the first time, is struck by a foul ball that breaks her eyeglasses, cuts her head, and knocks her unconscious for a brief time. Indians 9, White Sox 4.

OnBaseMachine
04-01-2010, 03:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK9r_PwdVHU

cumberlandreds
04-01-2010, 08:21 AM

You sure it was an accident. ;)

I was home yesterday and saw this. They, of course, didn't know at first it was his mother but the ESPN announcers were speculating that it could be someone in his family. Looks like all is well though.

chicoruiz
04-01-2010, 08:24 AM
I have a vague recollection that somebody hit a home run in spring training that landed in the parking lot and broke his own windshield. I want to say that it happened to an Angels player in '61, and that the reason I know about it is that Nuxy was an Angel that year and told the story. Anyone else remember this?

westofyou
04-01-2010, 08:58 AM
I have a vague recollection that somebody hit a home run in spring training that landed in the parking lot and broke his own windshield. I want to say that it happened to an Angels player in '61, and that the reason I know about it is that Nuxy was an Angel that year and told the story. Anyone else remember this?

Nux told that story and it was in KC in 61, I saw him live at a banquet and heard him tell the story there.

HeatherC1212
04-01-2010, 09:26 AM
You sure it was an accident. ;)

Accidently? Yeah, uh-huh, sure. ;)

IIRC, his wife is a lawyer. I sincerely doubt he was trying to hit her on purpose due to the fear that she would sue him for it, LOL :laugh: :p:

Slyder
04-01-2010, 10:10 AM
When Freel dove into the seats in Arizona didn't he hit someone's mom with his cleats?