PDA

View Full Version : No [real] cuts today

Joseph
04-01-2010, 10:24 PM
Fisher and Miller were reassigned to minor league camp. The 5th starter job waits another day to be decided.

mth123
04-01-2010, 10:29 PM
Fisher and Miller were reassigned to minor league camp. The 5th starter job waits another day to be decided.

Wouldn't Fisher need to be optioned? He's on he 40 man roster.

Joseph
04-01-2010, 10:35 PM
You are correct.

GOYA
04-02-2010, 11:53 AM
Hmmm. I'm seeing that Fisher was optioned to Louisville but nothing on Corky. Louisville's roster already lists Castillo and Denove as catchers.

icehole3
04-02-2010, 01:11 PM
there's Leake's spot on the 40

lollipopcurve
04-02-2010, 02:56 PM
there's Leake's spot on the 40

Optioning Fisher does not take him off the 40-man.

membengal
04-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Need a Mr. Mackey voice from South Park:

Cuts are hard, mmmmkay?

RED VAN HOT
04-02-2010, 03:52 PM
I may be wrong, but I don't think the 40 is a problem. I count 41 now including Volquez and Bray. Volquez is already on the 60 DL and I would expect Bray will be also. That leaves one opening before they need to DFA someone. A problem would occur only if they decided to add both Leake and Lehr.

http://reds.mlb.com/team/roster_40man.jsp?c_id=cin

Damn, it would be fun to be a fly on the wall in the meetings. There are so many dimensions to consider....putting best team on the field based on spring showing, contracts and FA, giving the benefit of a doubt to veterans who have not had a good spring, trying to work a trade rather than releasing a player.......

mth123
04-02-2010, 03:57 PM
I may be wrong, but I don't think the 40 is a problem. I count 41 now including Volquez and Bray. Volquez is already on the 60 DL and I would expect Bray will be also. That leaves one opening before they need to DFA someone. A problem would occur only if they decided to add both Leake and Lehr.

http://reds.mlb.com/team/roster_40man.jsp?c_id=cin

Damn, it would be fun to be a fly on the wall in the meetings. There are so many dimensions to consider....putting best team on the field based on spring showing, contracts and FA, giving the benefit of a doubt to veterans who have not had a good spring, trying to work a trade rather than releasing a player.......

IIRC, Bray was optioned and counts on the 40 man. If he goes on the DL it will be as a minor leaguer to avoid accruing service time and it doesn't clear a spot.

Team needs to find a taker for guys like Lincoln and Miles and I'd guess its what is holding things up.

lollipopcurve
04-02-2010, 04:02 PM
Team needs to find a taker for guys like Lincoln and Miles and I'd guess its what is holding things up.

Bunch of teams are in the same spot with players they don't want. In almost all cases, teams will end up having to keep those guys or release them. Very few trades will be made.

mth123
04-02-2010, 04:09 PM
Bunch of teams are in the same spot with players they don't want. In almost all cases, teams will end up having to keep those guys or release them. Very few trades will be made.

Probably right, but I think they are holding out until they absolutely have to make the moves.

Not sure why they can't go ahead and make moves with guys like Burke, Cairo and Wells though. Maybe their tickets for AAA are in doubt in case the team ends up with Lincoln and Miles there.

RED VAN HOT
04-02-2010, 04:23 PM
IIRC, Bray was optioned and counts on the 40 man. If he goes on the DL it will be as a minor leaguer to avoid accruing service time and it doesn't clear a spot.

Thanks, 123. That's informative. I'm trying to learn the ins and outs of this.

The Reds faced a decision of freeing up a 40 man spot and allowing Bray to earn ML service time, or optioning him and keeping him on the 40 man roster. What makes this decision even more interesting is that Bray has 2.091 years of ML service. An entire year of ML service would breach the 3 YR threshold, and make him arbitration eligible in 2011. Could the Reds recall him in May and immediately put him on the 60 DL? That would delay attaining 3 YRS until the 2011 season and postpone arb eligibility until 2012.

mth123
04-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Thanks, 123. That's informative. I'm trying to learn the ins and outs of this.

The Reds faced a decision of freeing up a 40 man spot and allowing Bray to earn ML service time, or optioning him and keeping him on the 40 man roster. What makes this decision even more interesting is that Bray has 2.091 years of ML service. An entire year of ML service would breach the 3 YR threshold, and make him arbitration eligible in 2011. Could the Reds recall him in May and immediately put him on the 60 DL? That would delay attaining 3 YRS until the 2011 season and postpone arb eligibility until 2012.

Good thought, but if he has 2.091 and was put on the 60 day in May and stayed there or up for the rest of the year, he'd probably be a Super two anyway. If they waited until July it might work, but I hope he's pitchiing and helping the team by then.