PDA

View Full Version : C. Trent article on Devin Mesoraco

OnBaseMachine
04-02-2010, 02:26 AM
Great article by C. Trent.

Mesoraco has fallen down prospect lists, but to the people who have seen him every day this spring, Mesoraco's strides have been huge.

"This year one of the biggest transitions I've seen in this camp and any camp is the improvements he's made defensively. Mike Stefanski and Pat Kelly get a ton of credit, but Mesoraco gets all the credit because he's made the adjustments and he works hard," said Louisville manager Rick Sweet, a former big league catcher. "I see him working in the cage, I'd get done at the end of the day and walk by the cage and he'd be in there catching off the machine. He'd catch regular strikes working on his framing, take a ball like he's blocking home plate, he'd be in there 20-30 minutes, but he's made tremendous improvement.

full article:
http://cnati.com/spring-training-2010/mesoraco-catching-on-001676/

This is a big year for Mesoraco. If his bat can improve as much as his defense has in the last year then he'll jump right back up in the prospect rankings.

medford
04-02-2010, 09:10 AM
Nice article, nice insight into the little things about catching that I had never thought of, like never having caught a majore league caliber arm who's so far away from having majore league caliber control. No wonder so many HS catchers flame out.

Perhaps more than any player in the system, Mes might be the most important non-pitcher. If Mes becomes a legit major league caliber starting catcher, and they can develop one more into a solid back up catcher type, they'll be set just about everywhere for a long time, save perhaps SS

lollipopcurve
04-02-2010, 09:14 AM
Very encouraging. I think the article confirms a lot of what redsof72 was saying a year or so ago about Mesoraco's defense -- it was position-switching defense. Great to hear that he's cleared that hurdle. With a year to repeat high A, it does seem like he has a chance to re-establish himself as a possible in-house catching solution. I do like his offensive potential, so to have an in-house guy who can defend at that position and hit would give the team a rare commodity.

NJReds
04-02-2010, 10:20 AM
First off, that was a great article and good to hear about Mesoraco.

Second, CTrent is really doing a great job getting the stories that other reporters don't go the distance to get. He's taking blogging/social media to another level. Good for him, and good for Reds fans, too.

RedsManRick
04-02-2010, 10:52 AM
First off, that was a great article and good to hear about Mesoraco.

Second, CTrent is really doing a great job getting the stories that other reporters don't go the distance to get. He's taking blogging/social media to another level. Good for him, and good for Reds fans, too.

It is certainly ironic that it takes a blogger to do the actual reporting. The newspapers don't quite seem to get that in depth reporting is the role they're best positioned to play -- not the quick hit news that we can get from anywhere.

Oh well, great to have C Trent on the scene.

chicoruiz
04-02-2010, 04:52 PM
And looking at the pictures should put to rest the talk that he's gotten "pudgy"...

dougdirt
04-02-2010, 04:56 PM
And looking at the pictures should put to rest the talk that he's gotten "pudgy"...

Looking at any picture of him at any point in his career should put that to rest because it was never true.

mth123
04-02-2010, 06:58 PM
Mesoraco is growing on me. Reports of his defensive improvements are great to hear. His bat may play pretty well behind the plate, but if he can't catch, he doesn't hit enough to have a career. Another solid season behind the plate puts him back in the Reds top 10 IMO.

Kingspoint
04-02-2010, 10:16 PM
"Mesoraco has fallen down prospect lists, but to the people who have seen him every day this spring, Mesoraco's strides have been huge."

That's pretty much what many of us here have been trying to say since last August.

This is one case where "the pundits" just don't have any idea what they're talking about.

Kingspoint
04-02-2010, 10:19 PM
Mike Stefanski and Pat Kelly get a ton of credit

.....since Mesoraco's not going to start the season at AA this season, does that mean he'll be working with one of these two Coaches again?

I thought he progressed enough Defensively last season to move to AA, but either there's someone blocking him at the moment, and/or they think there's more that they want him to learn at High-A ball before they move him up to AA this season. Still expecting him to be at AA (for Defensive Schooling) sometime in June.

Kingspoint
04-02-2010, 10:46 PM
I thought he progressed enough Defensively last season to move to AA, but either there's someone blocking him at the moment, and/or they think there's more that they want him to learn at High-A ball before they move him up to AA this season. Still expecting him to be at AA (for Defensive Schooling) sometime in June.

I just read the article and it answered my own question:

"In the beginning, I was working so hard just to catch the ball back there that that's all I focused on," Mesoraco said. "I didn't really know how to call a game. I'd be talking to the pitching coach between innings and working on al kids of stuff, now I feel like I've got a pretty good idea of what I'm doing back there and I can now focus on my hitting. I'm sure things will take off."

"I think it affected his offense because he was concentrating so much on his defense," said Kelly. "Now that he's got so much confidence in his defense, we're going to see that offense that people projected."

That makes a lot of sense. That's a wise choice. Let him cement in his mind defensively what he learned last year at High-A, while allowing him to focus more on his hitting, developing confidence in his hitting at the High-A level before moving him to the AA-level, where he'll be concentrating more on his defense again, with all likelihood having a drop in his Offense. You don't want him going to AA where he struggles to hit .200 and running into "a wall" that effects his overall development.

lollipopcurve
04-03-2010, 08:18 AM
Looking at any picture of him at any point in his career should put that to rest because it was never true.

If you listen to the interview with Mesoraco on RedLeg Nation, you'll hear him talk about the different approach he and his trainer took this offseason. Less bulk/strength work, more flexibility. I think that's reflected in the how he looks in pictures now vs. 2008-2009.

Reading between the lines in CTrent's piece, it seems as if Mesoraco has been working successfully to gain some agility.

NorrisHopper30
04-03-2010, 11:36 AM
Some nice quotes

Kingspoint
04-03-2010, 12:44 PM
If you listen to the interview with Mesoraco on RedLeg Nation, you'll hear him talk about the different approach he and his trainer took this offseason. Less bulk/strength work, more flexibility. I think that's reflected in the how he looks in pictures now vs. 2008-2009.

Reading between the lines in CTrent's piece, it seems as if Mesoraco has been working successfully to gain some agility.

Sounds like it has more to do with his ability to last 130+ games behind the plate every season. That's what the flexibility is needed for, where the bulk work he had been doing was for his hitting. Nothing in that statement hints anything at all that he was out of shape. It states the opposite,....that he'd been trying to get stronger before, but that he needs to change that to workouts that emphasize flexibility, something a Catcher needs even more than a Shortstop needs it.

GIDP
04-03-2010, 02:08 PM

Isn't that the truth.

jmcclain19
04-05-2010, 01:57 PM
The Reds oh so badly need Mesoraco to succeed.

HS bats - especially catchers, sometimes takes some extra seasoning before they ripen.

Being a young catcher is just so amazingly hard - your defensive responsibilties dwarf every other position, and you have to learn how to call a game - something that's drastically underrated as a skill.

Spend your whole career having a manager tell you what to call then suddenly you're out there without a net, calling your own games with pitchers you barely know are are constantly shuffling. Add to it lots of language barriers - the lower minors have a huge bevy of guys from all over the world and Devin was a small town Pennsylvannia boy. The chances he spoke Spanish with any skill are pretty slim.

Still keeping my fingers crossed that Devin has turned a corner.