PDA

View Full Version : What are your plans for Opening Day?

Eric_the_Red
04-02-2010, 09:04 AM
My wife & I are heading down for our 13th consecutive Opening Day game. We are taking our 1 year old son for his first (last year was too cold for him).

We usually park in the Newport garage and have lunch at Deweys before heading over. I'm thinking of trying to head down early and check out Mo, CTR and crew at Gameworks.

As heralded as the parade is, we've done it a few times, and I just don't think it is worth the hassle. Lots of traffic, parking is rough and it is crowded.

reds1869
04-02-2010, 09:17 AM
My parents are in town for Easter weekend. I rarely get to see them so it is exciting. There are some mobility issues involved so we won't be attending the game. We are going to sit on the couch and watch while eating some Queen City Hot Metts. Yum.

Team Clark
04-02-2010, 09:31 AM
Working. Which is a bit unusual on Opening Day. Working a "real" job anyway.

fugowitribe
04-02-2010, 10:10 AM
I am skipping my classes on Monday, to spend the greatest time a kid could ever spend with his dad. Opening Day is something we have shared for as long as I can remember. Don't give me the "you really shouldn't skip class" speech. You are speaking to deaf ears here.

reds1869
04-02-2010, 10:13 AM
I am skipping my classes on Monday, to spend the greatest time a kid could ever spend with his dad. Opening Day is something we have shared for as long as I can remember. Don't give me the "you really shouldn't skip class" speech. You are speaking to deaf ears here.

I've worked in education for years and will never give that speech. Some of the most important lessons are learned outside of the classroom, and it appears you've already learned one of them. Spend time with your dad, you will never regret it.

Redsfan320
04-02-2010, 10:53 AM
Last year me and my dad went to OD. As we all know, the weather wasn't the greatest. It was a fun experience, even if a bit cold, but this year we will be going to more games instead of OD.

So, MY PLANS FOR OPENING DAY 2010:

Wake. Eat Breakfast. Make it a short day of school (I'm doing an at-home DVD program), and be ready for the the day by 11. Watch parade on TV (being broadcast on Local 12 and also on FOX19.com). Flip to MLB Tonight for half an hour at noon, before going to FSO at 12:30 for Reds Live. Remain on FSO HD for several hours to watch Reds kill Cards 6-4.

11larkin11
04-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Have a lecture I can actually make, then skipping my other two lectures to watch the game in the dorm room.

Tommyjohn25
04-02-2010, 11:03 AM
Having my 4th annual Opening Day cookout and cornhole tournament. Basically a bunch of people come over, the true Reds fans park themselves in front of my TV to watch the game while the others play cornhole in the back yard. Once the game is over, the tournament begins. The prize? A Louisville Slugger that everyone who has attended in the last 3 years has signed. Winner gets to keep it until the following year Opening Day, then it's up for grabs again.

bucksfan2
04-02-2010, 11:04 AM
Not too sure yet. I am probably working until 11ish and then heading down somewhere to grab a bite to eat and a beer or two. Hopefully I will head to the stadium to take in enough of the OD festivities.

HeatherC1212
04-02-2010, 11:13 AM
I'm working all day but we're having our annual Opening Day cookout for lunch there and everyone also gets to wear their Reds gear to work. I plan to listen to the game on WLW in the afternoon and then watch my recording of the game when I get home (as long as it's a good game....I just can't watch a beat down after the fact, LOL). :D

Raisor
04-02-2010, 11:16 AM
Watching the game on ESPN

Reds Fanatic
04-02-2010, 11:24 AM
Unfortunately I have to work but I am hoping I can at least listen to most of it until I have to go to a meeting that is scheduled right in the middle of the game.

membengal
04-02-2010, 11:33 AM
Unfortunately I have to work but I am hoping I can at least listen to most of it until I have to go to a meeting that is scheduled right in the middle of the game.

Me too.

dougdirt
04-02-2010, 12:09 PM
Just landed two tickets.... but I have yet to find someone to go with. Shouldn't be too hard to do this weekend. I will be heading down with my best friends dad and uncle (best friend gets back from Iraq at the end of April or he would be going with us) and whoever I decide to take with me. Going to take lots of pictures, video, eat a hot dog or three, enjoy a coke and just sit back and smell baseball for the first time in months. I simply can't wait.

Roy Tucker
04-02-2010, 12:13 PM
The family and I are renting a cabin down in SE Ohio nest week (my youngest is on spring break). So we'll probably be traipsing on a some park path somewhere.

I'll try to catch the score when I can. I'm a little bummed to miss it.

Blimpie
04-02-2010, 02:25 PM
For a change, I was able to get the day off work. Nothing too ambitious...

Morning: Catch up on some neglected yardwork.
Afternoon: Watch Reds thump Cardinals.
Evening: Coach my son's baseball practice.

Sounds like a productive and rewarding day.

reds44
04-02-2010, 02:48 PM
Skipping class to watch the game. Nothing too exciting.

OnBaseMachine
04-02-2010, 03:54 PM
I'll be attending the game. My tickets are somewhere down the right field line. This will be the eighth straight Opening Day I've attended. My dad, me, and a couple others are making the 3 1/2 - 4 hour drive on Sunday morning and will spend the night in Florence. We plan on going in the Reds Hall of Fame on Sunday and the Reds gift shop, and then going bowling later that night.

RBA
04-02-2010, 05:49 PM
I will be in a van going to Las Vegas. I'll make the other guy drive (Yankee Fan) as I stream the video via mlb.tv.

redsfan1966
04-02-2010, 06:28 PM
Alright, since you asked--heres my Opening Day---

5:30am Leave Columbus with wife (she wants to go with me; which is great--even though she is NOT a Reds fan).

7:30am Park somewhere Downtown that is to my missus' approval.

8:00am Arrive at "FatCats" (formerly GameDay) to hang with fellow Reds fans and be a part of the 700WLW festivities (Jim Scott, McConnell, Eddie & Tracy, etc) and of course, to have some "cold beverages".

10:45am Leave "FatCats" and head Downtown for the Findlay Market Parade.

12:15pm Head to the GABP to hopefully catch a little Willie, Seg and Scott Sloan.

1pm Head to our seats to see a Reds victory over the hated Cardinals.

4:30pm Hit the Reds HOF for a quick run through of the new 1990 exhibit.

5:30 Head to Cunningham's new restaurant in Kenwood for a victory dinner.

7pm Rush back to C-Bus to watch the NCAA championship.

I still am a big believer of the traditions and excitement of Opening Day. It is truly my favorite holiday! GO REDS!

SandyD
04-02-2010, 08:16 PM
Haven't decided yet exactly what I'm going to do. If I can find a couple of Reds fans in New Orleans, might head to a sports bar. Or stay home and watch. But I had some leave time to burn, so I took the day off.

redsmetz
04-02-2010, 08:42 PM
My wife, daughter and I are going to the game, along with my wife's sister, brother-in-law and her oldest nephew who are coming down from Cleveland & Canton. They're Cardinals fans, but nice enough folks. We're going to head down for the parade, some Skyline Chili, and then some victory Graeters. My wife's sister & brother-in-law know these places because they lived her in the late 70's, early 80's while he was a reporter for the Post.

I'm gimped up, coming off a knee scope Thursday a week ago. I think Monday will be my last day with the crutch, so I'll have to go slowly.

We were downtown today for the Way of the Cross which ended at the Freedom Center. The ballpark was looking pretty spiffy from there.

paintmered
04-02-2010, 09:46 PM
I'll be at the game with my dad. This will be his first Opening Day, my third. We'll be down there early to catch the parade, then grab some lunch and a pint some place where it isn't busy.

Hope the knee feels better, Joe.

wheels
04-03-2010, 12:13 AM
Going to the bar around the corner.

I also plan on staying there for the Indians game because I got invited to some private party with free food.

I am going to be a hot mess on Tuesday.

GAC
04-03-2010, 08:55 AM
Working till 3PM, then busting my butt to get home without getting a ticket so I can catch the remainder of the game and visit chat for a bit.

Chip R
04-03-2010, 09:24 AM
Arnold's at 9:30 for the radio show with Jake Speed and the Freddies. Then over to Findlay Market to march in the parade. Then to the ballpark for the game.

KittyDuran
04-03-2010, 09:26 AM
Took the day off... do some errands in the morning - then head to the Levee to park and eat. Have an extra ticket - but might just pocket it so I can spread out... then probably meet up with Chip afterwards...

redsfan30
04-03-2010, 10:14 AM
Leave home around 7:00 with my parents and girlfriend....grab breakfast somewhere along the line....get to town around 9:30....walk around Fountain Square until the gates open at 11:00 then into the park to watch Cunningham.

God Bless Reds Opening Day.

Matt700wlw
04-03-2010, 10:34 AM
I'm not working for once, so I'm going to hang out with some buddies, have a few cold ones, watch the game, and relax. It'll be a nice change =)

hebroncougar
04-03-2010, 10:52 AM
Celebrate my birthday by teaching all morning, leaving early and coming home and watching the game in HD.

kbrake
04-03-2010, 12:11 PM
It really had not hit me that we are only a day away from Opening Day. Reading this thread was great. I can't wait for Monday just to take in the sights,sounds, and smells of GABP.

As far as my plans just going to the game nothing crazy. Great thread.

traderumor
04-03-2010, 12:32 PM
listen to wlw once Opening Day programming begins until the first game starts on Gameday Audio, then switching to the Reds at game time. This is the first year that I am not in the last days of tax season, but since I'm on a new job, I will wait til at least next year to start coming home and watching opening day with my family.

dabvu2498
04-03-2010, 06:51 PM
I get to go. First time in 3 years and I wasn't expecting it. But my best friend got handed two tickets by a vendor and off we go.

He's never been. Should be fun.

04-04-2010, 08:19 AM
Got a room at Courtyard by Marriott in Covington tonight. Go for a run tomorrow morning over the bridge and back, catch a little of the parade, and head to the game. Might hang out at Fountain Square for a bit tonight and enjoy the weather.

Redlegs
04-04-2010, 09:48 AM
Dentist appointment at 10am. Get the Cincinnati chili started when I get home, fire up the grill around noon thirty and cook up some dogs. Twelve pack of Hudy 14-K ready to go. The Queen City will be well represented.

Will M
04-04-2010, 02:32 PM
i am taking a vacation day so i can watch baseball all day long. start with the Reds lighting up Chris Carpenter then continue with whoever is on TV.

HumnHilghtFreel
04-04-2010, 07:48 PM
I have to work, but I went out and got a radio that has AM, so I can attempt to listen to the game. I'm not sure how well it'll pick up 700 in my building all the way up in Columbus though. I'm hoping crystal clear

Blitz Dorsey
04-04-2010, 08:59 PM
Work through lunch, leave work early, haul (rear end) home, hope that we get lucky and Harang out-pitches Carpenter and the Reds out-hit the Cards.

pedro
04-04-2010, 09:03 PM
I work at home. Doc Scott is coming over to watch. Apparently he is bringing bagels.

redsfan1966
04-04-2010, 09:03 PM
HumnHilightFreel--in Columbus, you should be able to pick up the game on AM 1230...

HumnHilghtFreel
04-04-2010, 10:19 PM
HumnHilightFreel--in Columbus, you should be able to pick up the game on AM 1230...

Many thanks! I've never really HAD to listen before, I'll be tuned in for sure.

Captain Hook
04-04-2010, 11:48 PM

700 WLW actually comes in much better for me but it does sometimes depend on what side of town you on.

OldRightHander
04-05-2010, 12:00 AM
I'll be attending my 18th consecutive with a friend. What I do after the game depends on weather. If it's nice, come home and throw something on the grill maybe.

thatcoolguy_22
04-05-2010, 12:13 AM
Since the game starts at 2 am over here, I will be making a pot of coffee. I get off of work at 11pm- so shortly after I get home its game time!

WebScorpion
04-05-2010, 10:59 AM
It's on at 10am here on the left coast...I just called in sick. (cough, cough) :D

OnBaseMachine
04-06-2010, 02:03 PM
I got a question:

On Sunday afternoon I went down to the ballpark at about 12:00 to take a tour of the Reds Hall of Fame and gift shop. As I was walking towards to the gift shop we noticed fans were walking into the stadium. It turns out the Reds were allowing fans to attend the workout for free. I thought that was nice. I always thought the Sunday workout was closed to the public. Is this the first time the workout has been open to the public? We sat about 10 rows behind the Reds dugout and watched infield practice and batting practice for well over an hour. It was a lot of fun. I hope this wasn't just a one time thing.