Juan Fransisco

Outfielders (5)
Jay Bruce
Drew Stubbs
Johnny Gomes
Chris Dickerson
Laynce Nix

From Fay:

The Reds will re-assign Leake to minor league camp tomorrow. Miles and Balentien will be designated for assignment on Sunday. The Reds will select the contracts of Cairo and Nix then.

Notes:
-Leake will likely be brought up on April 11th, and Fransisco might be the odd man out when that happens.
-Kip Wells has been released.
-Jared Burton, Aroldis Chapman, Justin Lehr, Matt Maloney, Travis Wood, Wilkin Castillo, Chris Burke, and Drew Sutton are all headed to Louisville.

Newport Red
04-02-2010, 06:51 PM
Frees up a spot on the 40 man roster.

mound_patrol
04-02-2010, 06:54 PM
No it doesnt. Maloney is still on the 40 man. He was just optioned to Louisville.

MBZags
04-02-2010, 06:56 PM
Per Fay's Twitter: "Travis Wood is packing his stuff up. The Reds will get to 25 before the game. It's probably going to Leake."

Cairo might have made the team since he's playing, but the Reds could also just be using him as filler for tonight's game.

GIDP
04-02-2010, 06:58 PM
If Cairo made the team then someones gonna have to get cut. Miles, or Balentin are gone especially if Leake made the roster.

mound_patrol
04-02-2010, 06:59 PM
Cairo playing just means that he survived today's cut. He could still get cut on Sunday.

MBZags
04-02-2010, 07:03 PM
Fay said the Reds are going to get to 25 before the game tonight. So either he made the team, or the Reds cut him but are just using him as a filler.

mound_patrol
04-02-2010, 07:08 PM
He also originally said all the cuts would be made yesterday. The Reds have their own agenda and can wait to get the roster down to 25.

MBZags
04-02-2010, 07:11 PM
I think he said serious cuts, but yeah, he obviously was wrong. But I still think we will know the final roster by the end of the day.

From Fay:

I am told they'll be down 25 rostrer players. May take 3 non-roster players north. Remember, 5th starter isn't needed until April 11.

GIDP
04-02-2010, 07:11 PM
Leake confirmed he was given the good news.

"It's kind of surreal right now," Leake said. "It has to soak in a little."

Leake, the eighth overall pick last summer, will be the first drafted pitcher to skip the Minor Leagues since Darren Dreifort of the Dodgers in 1994.

mound_patrol
04-02-2010, 07:14 PM
I'm more looking forward to who gets DFA'd over who makes the team. Hopefully Lincoln and Miles are out of here.

MBZags
04-02-2010, 07:55 PM
Original post will be updated in a second with more cuts.

GIDP
04-02-2010, 07:57 PM
Here's who made it: Ondrusek, Francisco, Cairo, Leake. Who didnt: Balentien, Miles. They're technically on roster but wont be on team.

From fay what ever that means

MBZags
04-02-2010, 08:13 PM
The first post has been updated with the Opening Day roster.

Roush's socks
04-02-2010, 09:26 PM
The Reds have so much young talent right now that it will be great to sit back and watch it develop. Bruce, Champman, Leake, Stubbs, Cueto, bailey. When you're bad long enough, and smart enough to not trade away prospects, eventually you wind up with a lot of talent.

thorn
04-02-2010, 09:42 PM
So, what happens to Leake between now and the 11th? Does he start in a minor league spring training game or just take a long break from competition?

BLEEDS
04-02-2010, 09:51 PM
Here's who made it: Ondrusek, Francisco, Cairo, Leake. Who didnt: Balentien, Miles. They're technically on roster but wont be on team.

From fay what ever that means

Means they are DFA'd.

Here's hoping Wlad doesn't get picked up.

Francisco is going to stay on the roster methinks when Leake gets called up, sending Cairo down. That leaves us with only Janish to back-up 2nd. Here's hoping BP plays 162 games there.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

BLEEDS
04-02-2010, 09:53 PM
So, what happens to Leake between now and the 11th? Does he start in a minor league spring training game or just take a long break from competition?

He's in minor leagues still then. They'll have to make a move to get him on the 25 man for the 11th.

Francisco or Cairo goes.
I hope Francisco gets some PT at 1B and does well. I'm pretty sure that's the only reason they held on to Cairo over the other IF candidates.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

malcontent
04-02-2010, 10:08 PM
Here's hoping Wlad doesn't get picked up.

I don't think we'll be that lucky. WJ will probably deal him.

It'll be interesting to see how the three lefties fare at Louisville.

I still think Maloney will have a better/longer MLB career than Wood.

As for Leake, does this qualify as rushing?

mroby85
04-02-2010, 11:11 PM
Who is pitching on the 10th? if Leake pitches the 11th? April 10th should be their 5th game, would they just pitch Harang again that day? and go with Leake on Sunday due to the off day? That doesn't really make sense though..

malcontent
04-02-2010, 11:18 PM
I'm not down on Wood, and I think Leake will be great, but I still think Maloney should have gotten a real shot....which he didn't. Chris Welsh just the other day commented that neither Wood nor Leake were ready for the majors.

Kingspoint
04-03-2010, 12:08 AM
Looks good.

Can't wait for the season to start (Get it together, Aaron Harang!).

texasdave
04-03-2010, 12:27 AM
Dusty loves him some veterans.

Miguel Cairo turns 36 in May with a career OPS of around .670. Noone can tell me that Sutton wouldn't put up better numbers.
Laynce Nix and his career sub-.700 OPS makes the squad over Balentien. Ugh.

And the beat goes on. Let's hope Dusty was right.

schmidty622
04-03-2010, 08:42 AM
Dusty loves him some veterans.

Miguel Cairo turns 36 in May with a career OPS of around .670. Noone can tell me that Sutton wouldn't put up better numbers.
Laynce Nix and his career sub-.700 OPS makes the squad over Balentien. Ugh.

And the beat goes on. Let's hope Dusty was right.

Yeah, on the same day that they take a 5th starter north who has never even sniffed the minor leagues and a rather young bullpen guy in logan ondrusek. But the beat goes on...:rolleyes:

BLEEDS
04-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Who is pitching on the 10th? if Leake pitches the 11th? April 10th should be their 5th game, would they just pitch Harang again that day? and go with Leake on Sunday due to the off day? That doesn't really make sense though..

Yeah 10th will be Harang.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Vottomatic
04-03-2010, 11:43 AM
Yeah, on the same day that they take a 5th starter north who has never even sniffed the minor leagues and a rather young bullpen guy in logan ondrusek. But the beat goes on...:rolleyes:

I had Andrusek making the team. He deserves it.

big boy
04-03-2010, 01:37 PM
This (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/372715-mlb-2010-the-5-reds-roster-surprises) slideshow sums up the 5 roster surprises.

gedred69
04-03-2010, 01:51 PM
I just really hope the Reds aren't going to "rush" Francisco. Don't want him to end up another Wily Mo. Due to his contract, there was no choice with Pena. With Francisco they have the luxury of letting him develop some maturity at the plate. He has the potential of being a true great.

DannyB
04-03-2010, 09:01 PM

He's in minor leagues still then. They'll have to make a move to get him on the 25 man for the 11th.

Francisco or Cairo goes.
I hope Francisco gets some PT at 1B and does well. I'm pretty sure that's the only reason they held on to Cairo over the other IF candidates.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

I think he meant will he pitch somewhere before the 11th and where

BLEEDS
04-04-2010, 12:07 PM
I think he meant will he pitch somewhere before the 11th and where

Probably only a simulated game, if that, probably just throw on the side.

The minor league season doesn't start until Friday. He pitches on Sunday.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Roush's socks
04-04-2010, 02:30 PM
As far as "rushing" Leake goes, I'm not convinced that minor league time lessens the chance of pitching injury. If a guy has bad mechanics/physical defects then he will get injured sooner or later. Some pitchers just are never going to pitch more than 300-500 innings because of their mechanics. How does spending a year in the minors change this?

I'm not saying Leake has bad mechanics, because from what I've read he doesn't. He has great control and keeps the ball down. That is a lot of what pitchers work on in the minors. So what is the purpose of putting him in AAA? If he gets bombed then reconsider, but I agree with the Reds decision.

BLEEDS
04-05-2010, 10:51 AM
As far as "rushing" Leake goes, I'm not convinced that minor league time lessens the chance of pitching injury. If a guy has bad mechanics/physical defects then he will get injured sooner or later. Some pitchers just are never going to pitch more than 300-500 innings because of their mechanics. How does spending a year in the minors change this?

I'm not saying Leake has bad mechanics, because from what I've read he doesn't. He has great control and keeps the ball down. That is a lot of what pitchers work on in the minors. So what is the purpose of putting him in AAA? If he gets bombed then reconsider, but I agree with the Reds decision.

Agree 100%. This idea that you can "control" and coddle young pitchers in AAA against injury is ridiculous. They will still be throwing the ball over the plate.

Leake has all the intangibles you hope to develop in AAA, so he'd just be a waste of innings.

PEACE

-BLEEDS