PDA

View Full Version : Who will have the better career: Jason Heyward or Jay Bruce?

fearofpopvol1
04-02-2010, 06:45 PM
Thoughts?

Same position. Both are LH batters. Both drafted at similar positions. Both similar in age and similar in terms of hype coming out of the minors (ie a lot of it).

fearofpopvol1
04-05-2010, 06:45 PM
Heyward had an impressive first showing as Bruce was in his debut. Heyward was a trending topic on Twitter earlier today.

wally post
04-05-2010, 06:48 PM
Bruce is not looking so good - at least today.. I haven't seen any spring training games, but have to vote with what I've seen. Heyward.

flyer85
04-05-2010, 06:50 PM
heyward is 2.5 years younger. I would go all in on Heyward, he doesn't turn 21 til late simmer.

Bumstead
04-05-2010, 06:58 PM
Bruce may hit more HR's, but as an overall hitter, I believe Heyward will be a bit better. That's not a slight to Bruce as I believe he can be really good, but Heyward, I think, can be an elite talent.

Bum

hebroncougar
04-05-2010, 07:09 PM
Go back to the first few weeks of Bruce's debut, and it would be overwhelmingly in favor of Bruce. Bruce had a great spring, and looked good at the end of Sept. as well, when he came back from injury.

RedsManRick
04-05-2010, 07:12 PM
I voted Bruce, but if I really had to bet, I'd say Heyward. Making the majors (deservedly so) at such a young age is a pretty big indicator of future success.

_Sir_Charles_
04-05-2010, 07:33 PM
I voted Bruce, but if I really had to bet, I'd say Heyward. Making the majors (deservedly so) at such a young age is a pretty big indicator of future success.

Did Heyward make the bigs at a younger age than Jay? If he did, it wasn't by much I'd think. Wasn't Jay 21?

flyer85
04-05-2010, 07:41 PM
Did Heyward make the bigs at a younger age than Jay? If he did, it wasn't by much I'd think. Wasn't Jay 21?IIRC, Jay was a little over 21.

Joseph
04-05-2010, 08:08 PM
This is the telling year for Jay. His first season he had some flashes of brilliance to come. His second season was largely lost in hope, hype, and horror, at least until the end of the season when he came back from injury.

If he can't start climbing the hill this season then Heyward has the hope all in his court.

Always Red
04-05-2010, 08:27 PM
The league will adjust to Jason Heyward, just as it did to Jay Bruce.

Both are going to be very good players for a long time.

steig
04-05-2010, 08:29 PM
I never heard Bruce being compared to Griffey like Heyward currently is being compared. Hopefully both will be great players but I think Heyward will be the much better player.

Joseph
04-05-2010, 08:51 PM
I never heard Bruce being compared to Griffey like Heyward currently is being compared. Hopefully both will be great players but I think Heyward will be the much better player.

Eric Davis was also compared to Willie Mays.

Falls City Beer
04-05-2010, 09:29 PM
It's time to start entertaining offers on Bruce. That stock could go south any moment. Don't think Jocketty isn't thinking the same thing, too.

kaldaniels
04-05-2010, 09:36 PM
To be fair I'd say this question is being asked at a time when Heyward's stock is at an all time high, and Bruce's is around an all time low.

11larkin11
04-05-2010, 09:37 PM
It's time to start entertaining offers on Bruce. That stock could go south any moment. Don't think Jocketty isn't thinking the same thing, too.

Yep, his 1-4 first game after a great spring following a season being the most unlucky player in the majors and still having a great last month warrants trading the player with the most upside on the entire team. Especially since he isn't a youngin anymore, hes already the 24th oldest player on the 25 man roster.

Gimme a break FCB. I guarantee Walt isn't entertaining offers.

Falls City Beer
04-05-2010, 09:40 PM
Yep, his 1-4 first game after a great spring following a season being the most unlucky player in the majors and still having a great last month warrants trading the player with the most upside on the entire team. Especially since he isn't a youngin anymore, hes already the 24th oldest player on the 25 man roster.

Gimme a break FCB. I guarantee Walt isn't entertaining offers.

I bet he's been entertaining offers since last season. Injuries, difficulty identifying offspeed stuff (or doing anything with it).

Falls City Beer
04-05-2010, 09:44 PM
An acute injury like a broken wrist from a diving catch in no way indicates he's injury prone. That's ridiculous.

I didn't say he was injury prone.

paintmered
04-05-2010, 09:45 PM
I didn't say he was injury prone.

I know. I recognized that after I made my post. That's why I deleted it with the hopes you wouldn't see it.

Mea culpa.

Jpup
04-05-2010, 10:12 PM

Wow.

He's just a baby.

jojo
04-05-2010, 10:18 PM
If Jocketty was entertaining offers for Bruce, JB would already be traded.

It just isn't very likely.

OnBaseMachine
04-05-2010, 10:21 PM
If Jocketty was entertaining offers for Bruce, JB would already be traded.

It just isn't very likely.

Agreed.

As for the question, it's a tough one. I'll just say that I think both are going to be tremendous players for a long time.

jojo
04-05-2010, 10:23 PM
The grass is always greener with prospects but then again fans tend to overvalue their team's prospects... :cool:

Reds1
04-05-2010, 11:09 PM
I'm surprised this is so close. I said Heyward. Seems to already have better plate coverage

11larkin11
04-05-2010, 11:44 PM
Its always easy to be the pessimist. If they suck, you're right and get to rub it in. If you're wrong, than "hey, I was rooting for the guy/team the whole time, I was wrong but it doesn't matter because he's helping the team now."

dougdirt
04-06-2010, 12:32 AM
Heyward is going to be the better hitter. Bruce will be the better defender. I will take Bruce as the better guy for the next few seasons, but for a career I would take Heyward.

BoydsOfSummer
04-06-2010, 05:22 AM
Heyward has some seriously quick bat speed. I can see where the Junior comparisons come from. Impressive.

jojo
04-06-2010, 06:12 AM
Heyward's first major league PA? Homer. Bruce's first major league PA? Base-cloggage. Enough said? :cool:

RANDY IN INDY
04-06-2010, 08:19 AM
Bruce's problem right now is that he does not look at all comfortable at the plate. He needs to slow everything down. He does not recognize pitches well. His front side is pulling off the ball so quickly. I'm afraid this is going to be a major problem for Jay Bruce. Got to keep that front side in and stay on the baseball. It is more pronounced against lefthanders, but he does it on righthanders too. He has no chance against a lefthanders' breaking stuff.

Heyward looked like a beast at the plate yesterday. Stays on the ball real well. If yesterday is a good indicator, he is real good. Like all players, they will find a hole and exploit it. How he handles that will tell a lot.

Bumstead
04-06-2010, 09:32 AM
"Trade Jay Bruce." "Put Janish in the lineup everyday."

What's going on here?

westofyou
04-06-2010, 09:36 AM

What's going on here?

Whiplash caused by knee jerk reactions is my guess.

bucksfan2
04-06-2010, 09:58 AM
Heyward looked like a beast at the plate yesterday. Stays on the ball real well. If yesterday is a good indicator, he is real good. Like all players, they will find a hole and exploit it. How he handles that will tell a lot.

Remember Bruce's first game?

RANDY IN INDY
04-06-2010, 10:53 AM
Remember Bruce's first game?

Like all players, they will find a hole and exploit it. How he handles that will tell a lot.

Ltlabner
04-06-2010, 10:56 AM
50/50 shot it will be one of those two guys.

redsfandan
04-10-2010, 01:52 AM
Just read this:

Since homering in his first major league at-bats, hes 2-for-16 with eight strikeouts.
Heyward could be one of the better NL outfielders ... eventually. But, I think that the hype got a little crazy and some people started thinking that he'd be one of the best outfielders NOW. Hopefully the expectations for him THIS YEAR will become a little more realistic. If Heyward can just have an .800 ops this year it would be a big achievement.

fearofpopvol1
04-10-2010, 02:09 AM
Just read this:

Heyward could be one of the better NL outfielders ... eventually. But, I think that the hype got a little crazy and some people started thinking that he'd be one of the best outfielders NOW. Hopefully the expectations for him THIS YEAR will become a little more realistic. If Heyward can just have an .800 ops this year it would be a big achievement.

That's actually better than the start Bruce has had to this season, believe it or not.

reds44
04-10-2010, 02:11 AM
Has anybody seen Heyward hit? He has insanely quick hands and a short swing.

Heyward will have the better year and career. He's a once in a lifetime type player, IMO.

I think Bruce will end up with 30+ HRs, but overall Heyward will be better.

reds44
04-10-2010, 02:11 AM

What's going on here?
I'll never understand the Janish love on this board.

KronoRed
04-10-2010, 02:17 AM

Considering some of the bad D guys we've had at SS in the last decade it's not a surprise to see the glove guy with no stick get love.

Ron Madden
04-10-2010, 02:25 AM
Bruce's problem right now is that he does not look at all comfortable at the plate. He needs to slow everything down. He does not recognize pitches well. His front side is pulling off the ball so quickly. I'm afraid this is going to be a major problem for Jay Bruce. Got to keep that front side in and stay on the baseball. It is more pronounced against lefthanders, but he does it on righthanders too. He has no chance against a lefthanders' breaking stuff. Heyward looked like a beast at the plate yesterday. Stays on the ball real well. If yesterday is a good indicator, he is real good. Like all players, they will find a hole and exploit it. How he handles that will tell a lot.

Hitting a baseball in the Major Leagues is Hard.

Hitting when you are off balance is all most impossible.

Ron Madden
04-10-2010, 02:29 AM
Whiplash caused by knee jerk reactions is my guess.

I'll agree with this assessment.

nate
04-10-2010, 09:16 AM

I must not have gotten access to "this board" that has all "Janish love."

Maybe I should check my DNS.