PDA

View Full Version : Bats Lineup

redsof72
04-03-2010, 12:26 AM
We have talked about this, but how can you not love that lineup in Louisville. Most prospects on a Reds Triple-A team in 30 years.

Assuming after today's cuts it will look like this:

1B Alonso
2B Valaika
SS Cozart
3B Frazier, Sutton, or Burke (maybe Francisco in a couple weeks)
OF Frazier or Dorn
OF Heisey
OF Anderson
C Miller, Castillo

SP: Chapman, Wood, Maloney, Lehr, Lecure (Jukich close to being ready)
Pen: Burton, Fisher, Viola, Del Rosario

11larkin11
04-03-2010, 01:24 AM
We have talked about this, but how can you not love that lineup in Louisville. Most prospects on a Reds Triple-A team in 30 years.

Assuming after today's cuts it will look like this:

1B Alonso
2B Valaika
SS Cozart
3B Frazier, Sutton, or Burke (maybe Francisco in a couple weeks)
OF Frazier or Dorn
OF Heisey
OF Anderson
C Miller, Castillo

SP: Chapman, Wood, Maloney, Lehr, Lecure (Jukich close to being ready)
Pen: Burton, Fisher, Viola, Del Rosario

I don't see Anderson getting a lot of time

GOYA
04-03-2010, 01:37 AM
Denove has earned his spot at Louisville. But Miller may take it as veteran AAA insurance.

lollipopcurve
04-03-2010, 09:48 AM
Denove has earned his spot at Louisville. But Miller may take it as veteran AAA insurance.

If they move Castillo around alot a get him 400-500 ABs, as I think they should, Denove could stay at Louisville.

redsof72
04-03-2010, 11:46 AM
Denove could play in Triple-A. But they released Bour. I am not sure who would be in Double-A. They have Yarbrough. I think Yarbrough and Denove might have to be the two in Double-A. Not sure what they are doing with McMurray. His defense allows him to perform as a #2 at pretty much any level. He could be in Carolina or Lynchburg.

Anderson is a very good player. He is not a prospect, but as of this moment, he has the most developed all-around game of that group of outfielders. If they needed a short-term call-up for 10-14 days to be a back-up, and had an opening on the 40-man, I think he would be the guy.

mth123
04-03-2010, 12:14 PM
Denove could play in Triple-A. But they released Bour. I am not sure who would be in Double-A. They have Yarbrough. I think Yarbrough and Denove might have to be the two in Double-A. Not sure what they are doing with McMurray. His defense allows him to perform as a #2 at pretty much any level. He could be in Carolina or Lynchburg.

Anderson is a very good player. He is not a prospect, but as of this moment, he has the most developed all-around game of that group of outfielders. If they needed a short-term call-up for 10-14 days to be a back-up, and had an opening on the 40-man, I think he would be the guy.

I'm interested in how the catchers will sort out.

MLB: Hernanez, Hanigan
AAA: Miller, Yarbrough, Castillo
AA: Denove and Mesoraco? and Long?
A+: Coddington, Weems and Soto? Maybe a little bit of time for Day?
A-:Fleury, McMurray and Wideman
R+: Viscioso and Manz
R-: Barnhardt, Gonzalez and Ortuno

I'd say Long is in danger of being cut loose. Anybody I'm missing? Kind of a crowd at high A and guys who will be stretched at AA.

redsof72
04-03-2010, 12:37 PM
Mesoraco to high A. Coddington to Dayton.

redsof72
04-03-2010, 08:31 PM
How big of a surprise would it be if Alonso started the season in Carolina?

dougdirt
04-03-2010, 08:53 PM

A large one. Are you hearing something?

JayBruceFan
04-03-2010, 09:23 PM

Considering he has spent very little time there, not a big surprise at all

JayBruceFan
04-03-2010, 09:26 PM

Jason Bour was cut? Didn't see that coming. I expected Jake Long to get cut before he did.

Is there any place online to see who else was cut besides Baseball America?

dougdirt
04-03-2010, 09:31 PM
Considering he has spent very little time there, not a big surprise at all

To me, the fact that they sent him to AAA to help them in the playoffs last season makes it a real interesting choice to send him to AA to begin the year. While he only spent a little bit of time in AA last season the Reds clearly thought he could help the AAA team last season. Not really sure what has changed that would send him to AA this season between now and then.

mth123
04-03-2010, 09:33 PM
To me, the fact that they sent him to AAA to help them in the playoffs last season makes it a real interesting choice to send him to AA to begin the year. While he only spent a little bit of time in AA last season the Reds clearly thought he could help the AAA team last season. Not really sure what has changed that would send him to AA this season between now and then.

Chapman.

dougdirt
04-03-2010, 09:36 PM
Chapman.

A pitcher means a first baseman goes to AA?

mth123
04-03-2010, 09:41 PM
A pitcher means a first baseman goes to AA?

Thought you were talking about Klinker.

redsof72
04-03-2010, 10:21 PM
Lets see how things play out over the next day or two. Until announcements are made, everything is rumor. When the rosters come out, note any possible positional changes that might lead to a player beginning at a level he might already have a comfort level at.

JaxRed
04-03-2010, 11:01 PM
Like Alonso becomes a LF?

OnBaseMachine
04-06-2010, 04:59 PM
The rosters haven't been officially announced yet but it looks like Yonder Alonso will begin the season in Double-A Carolina and will play left field...

Speaking of which, Adam Foster of Prospect Prospect just posted this on his twitter page:

Alonso looked better in left field than I expected when I saw him this spring.

http://twitter.com/AdamWFoster

TRF
04-06-2010, 05:16 PM
The rosters haven't been officially announced yet but it looks like Yonder Alonso will begin the season in Double-A Carolina and will play left field...

Speaking of which, Adam Foster of Prospect Prospect just posted this on his twitter page:

Alonso looked better in left field than I expected when I saw him this spring.

http://twitter.com/AdamWFoster

That's very interesting. I wonder how his overall production in LF will compare to Chris Heisey? I'm pretty sure Heisey will be in CF for the Bats, but he'll be destined for LF if Stubbs does turn out to be a hitter.

I still think Alonso is trade bait.

11larkin11
04-06-2010, 06:32 PM
That's very interesting. I wonder how his overall production in LF will compare to Chris Heisey? I'm pretty sure Heisey will be in CF for the Bats, but he'll be destined for LF if Stubbs does turn out to be a hitter.

Well that makes up my mind, no Chapman, no Wood, no Maloney, no Alonso, I probably won't be going to the Bats-Clippers games next week.

mdccclxix
04-06-2010, 07:25 PM

I'd agree Alonso is trade bait, but you might like to move Heisey before Alonso if both are destined for LF.

Is there room for Votto, Bruce, Juan, and Yonder in Cincinnati? I'd say yes, but the pace they're moving Juan would require Yonder to factor in later, such as 2011 or 2012, which I'm fine with overcooking prospects. Rolen healthy means Juan in LF a bit. I guess Juan and Yonder could platoon around 1b, 3b, and LF and both get 350 ab's once Gomes is out of the picture in 2011 or 2012.

You'd probably need Stubbs to be a big enough bat to hit 3rd, but that's not likely. In fact, none of this is. :thumbup:

SS
Yonder
Stubbs
Votto
Rolen / Juan
Bruce
BP
Yonder/Juan
Hernanigan

Or something. It seems forced to keep Juan and Yonder. Maybe if they could land Hanley Ramirez, the world would look right.

GOYA
04-06-2010, 07:43 PM
Then who the hell plays 1B in Louisville? I hope it's not Dorn.

batsfan
04-06-2010, 07:58 PM
Then who the hell plays 1B in Louisville? I hope it's not Dorn.

Kevin West?

nemesis
04-06-2010, 10:48 PM
It'll be Dorn. With Frazier likely to spell him.

OnBaseMachine
04-07-2010, 03:28 AM
Louisville Bats: Expect strong team again

The Cincinnati Reds' Triple-A affiliate has the talent and recent history to back it up. Over the past two years the franchise has won more games than any other team in the International League. It had the league's best record (84-58) last year and tied for the best mark (88-56) in 2008.

The Bats have eight of the Reds' top prospects as rated by Baseball America, including infielder Todd Frazier, outfielder Chris Heisey and left-handers Travis Wood and Matt Maloney. That doesn't even include Cuban lefty Aroldis Chapman, arguably the top import in baseball.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20100406/SPORTS07/4060354/1036/Louisville+Bats++Expect+strong+team+again

GOYA
04-07-2010, 08:59 AM
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=t_ros&cid=416&stn=true&sid=t416

The non-Bats have been removed from the Louisville roster.

Alonso, Thompson, Krebs, Klinker, Cochran and Denove.

roborobj
04-07-2010, 11:38 AM

I agree.

mace
04-07-2010, 12:14 PM
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=t_ros&cid=416&stn=true&sid=t416

The non-Bats have been removed from the Louisville roster.

Alonso, Thompson, Krebs, Klinker, Cochran and Denove.

That's some awfully good talent to be playing at AA. I'd say that all of those guys--well, except for Cochran, I guess--are legitimate AAA talents at this point. (Although Cochran did have a great outing or two in Goodyear.) Speaks well for the organization.

Benihana
04-07-2010, 12:46 PM
Is Frazier going to get to play 2B in Louisville? I'd like to see that happen. Between Frazier, Francisco, Heisey, Alonso, et. al- there is clearly not room for all of them at 1B/3B/LF, especially with Rolen and Votto entrenched at their respective positions. Of these guys, Frazier has the best skill set to play another position, and that position is likely 2B- especially now that Alonso has shifted to LF. Redsof72 or any other insider, will we see this happen?

In the meantime, Sutton and Valaika can play the corner infield spots in Louisville, with Heisey in CF and Francisco in LF if he comes back down. It is high time the Reds start showing some kind of plan for some of these guys, and prepare them for the position they are likely to play at the major league level. Otherwise, a trade should be in order to fill those organizational needs.

dougdirt
04-07-2010, 01:03 PM
Is Frazier going to get to play 2B in Louisville? I'd like to see that happen. Between Frazier, Francisco, Heisey, Alonso, et. al- there is clearly not room for all of them at 1B/3B/LF, especially with Rolen and Votto entrenched at their respective positions. Of these guys, Frazier has the best skill set to play another position, and that position is likely 2B- especially now that Alonso has shifted to LF. Redsof72 or any other insider, will we see this happen?

In the meantime, Sutton and Valaika can play the corner infield spots in Louisville, with Heisey in CF and Francisco in LF if he comes back down. It is high time the Reds start showing some kind of plan for some of these guys, and prepare them for the position they are likely to play at the major league level. Otherwise, a trade should be in order to fill those organizational needs.

I doubt we see much of Frazier at 2B. The Reds still like Chris Valaika a bit and that is where he will be playing, at least to start the season. Todd was pretty rough at 2B last season. He just couldn't seem to get the footwork down on a consistent basis there.

TRF
04-07-2010, 01:12 PM
I don't think Frazier gets more than a handfull of appearances at 2B, unless Valaika just tanks there. Except for last year, Valaika has always hit, and he's moving over from SS.

He had a dumb injury and he usually struggles when getting to a new level. I expect a huge bounceback year from him.

Benihana
04-07-2010, 01:34 PM
Not sure I like that. That puts the Reds in a position where they must choose one (maybe two, depending on Rolen) between Alonso, Frazier, Francisco, and Heisey (and maybe Dickerson) while relying on Brandon Phillips and his ever-inflating salary.

I'd rather see them be more creative, especially with a guy who they admittedly have no clue where he should play. I like Valaika and do think he'll bounce back to some degree this year, but can't see him being an impact player at the big league level. Can't envision more than a marginal improvement over a Keppinger or Sutton type of player.

Scrap Irony
04-07-2010, 01:40 PM
Unless, of course, Valaika hits goes 300/350/450 in AAA (or about what his career averages were before a horrendous year in Louisville last season).

That, then, leaves Frazier as the MIF back-up (to Cozart and Valaika/Phillips), Francisco as the CIF back-up (to Votto and Rolen), Heisey as the fourth OF, and Alonso as Gomes' platoon partner in LF. (If everything works out as planned.)

That should be a productive and really, really cheap bench.

OnBaseMachine
04-07-2010, 02:51 PM
Chris Heisey interview from Media Day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z7dzkkGrgw&feature=youtu.be&a

http://twitter.com/LouisvilleBats

GOYA
04-07-2010, 03:54 PM
Griffin plays a fine 3B. He just can't hit.

Valaika should be fine at 2B. After he recovered from his broken hand he really got in the groove offensively. He showed some trouble making throws at SS. 2B could suit him very well.

Dorn at 1B should be an adventure. He didn't look comfortable there last year.

Cozart at SS is something I'm looking forward to seeing.

Catcher is going to be <groan> Castillo and Miller. I'd MUCH rather see Denove at Louisville.

Benihana
04-07-2010, 04:09 PM
Unless, of course, Valaika hits goes 300/350/450 in AAA (or about what his career averages were before a horrendous year in Louisville last season).

That, then, leaves Frazier as the MIF back-up (to Cozart and Valaika/Phillips), Francisco as the CIF back-up (to Votto and Rolen), Heisey as the fourth OF, and Alonso as Gomes' platoon partner in LF. (If everything works out as planned.)

That should be a productive and really, really cheap bench.

Frazier will be a better major leaguer than Valaika. If he is good enough defensively to play as a backup middle infielder, than he should be starting over Valaika.

Otherwise, some of these guys should be traded. If Heisey is the 4th OF, where is Dickerson? If Valaika is your guy at 2B and Francisco will be your backup CIF, trade Frazier and get value.

GOYA
04-07-2010, 05:28 PM
Frazier will be a better major leaguer than Valaika. If he is good enough defensively to play as a backup middle infielder, than he should be starting over Valaika.

Frazier has not shown the ability to be a MI. From what I saw of him at 2B, I'd guess he wouldn't do well at 3B either. But what I saw was a short time with Frazier having just moved up a level. But apparently, the Reds org hasn't got much faith in him as a MI either.

dougdirt
04-07-2010, 05:49 PM
Frazier has not shown the ability to be a MI. From what I saw of him at 2B, I'd guess he wouldn't do well at 3B either. But what I saw was a short time with Frazier having just moved up a level. But apparently, the Reds org hasn't got much faith in him as a MI either.

Frazier is MUCH better at 3B than 2B. The thing that really held him back at 2B was the footwork. It was the opposite of what he had always been used to in his career prior to that (SS/3B/LF are all set on the other side of the field).

OnBaseMachine
04-07-2010, 06:15 PM
Todd Frazier interview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ-fSLyvbX4&feature=youtu.be&a

Travis Wood interview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7pGNuaQEts&feature=youtu.be&a

Justin Lehr:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd3lABU6u3M&feature=youtu.be&a

Rick Sweet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQSYajNMcm0&feature=youtu.be&a

http://twitter.com/LouisvilleBats

Benihana
04-07-2010, 06:38 PM

I am not saying he is definitively good enough defensively to be a 2B. I was responding to Scrap's proposal that made Frazier a backup MI. My point was that if he is good enough defensively to be a backup MI, he should be starting as a MI over a guy like Valaika.

GOYA
04-07-2010, 07:36 PM
Frazier is MUCH better at 3B than 2B. The thing that really held him back at 2B was the footwork. It was the opposite of what he had always been used to in his career prior to that (SS/3B/LF are all set on the other side of the field).

From what I saw, he had a hard time getting the ball into his glove. If it was his footwork then it should translate to 3B as well. Anywhere you play, you have to move to both your right and left to make the play.

My point was that if he is good enough defensively to be a backup MI, he should be starting as a MI over a guy like Valaika.
Understood. And my point was, from where I sit, he's not good enough to be a backup MI.

dougdirt
04-07-2010, 07:48 PM
From what I saw, he had a hard time getting the ball into his glove. If it was his footwork then it should translate to 3B as well. Anywhere you play, you have to move to both your right and left to make the play.

You have to move both ways at any spot, but to set up your throw, you need to move your feet in an entirely different way from the left side of the infield than you do on the right side of the infield. Much different body positioning is needed to make a throw from second base than from short or third.

GOYA
04-07-2010, 07:54 PM
You have to move both ways at any spot, but to set up your throw, you need to move your feet in an entirely different way from the left side of the infield than you do on the right side of the infield. Much different body positioning is needed to make a throw from second base than from short or third.

Of course. But unless you have the ball in your hand, a throw doesn't happen wherever you are playing.

dougdirt
04-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Of course. But unless you have the ball in your hand, a throw doesn't happen wherever you are playing.

Sure, but setting the footwork was working against the rest of him. He just had too much going on in his head.

GOYA
04-07-2010, 09:31 PM
We disagree, Doug. Not the first time. :)

HokieRed
04-07-2010, 10:24 PM
Sure, but setting the footwork was working against the rest of him. He just had too much going on in his head.

Agree. The left and right side are entirely different. The ball comes off the bat differently, too. It looks different. Unless you've played both you can't really appreciate how different the two sides really are.

OnBaseMachine
04-08-2010, 01:31 AM
Louisville Slugger Field picked among 10 best

If you want to want to watch a minor league baseball game, there are few places better than Louisville Slugger Field.

The ballpark has been named one of 10 best places in America to watch minor league baseball, according to USA Today. The park received high marks for its architecture

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20100407/SPORTS/4070443/1036/SPORTS07/Louisville+Slugger+Field+picked+among+10+best

OnBaseMachine
04-08-2010, 01:37 AM
2010 Louisville roster according to the Louisville Courier-Journal:

Pitchers

Travis Wood, Sam Lecure, Matt Maloney, Frederico Baez, Jon Adkins, Chad Reineke, Enerio Del Rosario, Lee Tabor, Justin Lehr, Pedro Viola, Carlos Fisher, Jared Burton, Aroldis Chapman

Catchers

Corky Miller, Wilkin Castillo, Jake Long

Infielders

Chris Burke, Michael Griffin, Drew Sutton, Chris Valaika, Zack Cozart, Todd Frazier

Outfielders

Josh Anderson, Danny Dorn, Chris Heisey, Luis Terrero

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20100407/SPORTS07/100407005/1036

That's 26 players, so someone's probably starting the season on the DL.

OnBaseMachine
04-08-2010, 01:40 AM
5 key Bats questions

What new player could make an early impact?

Cozart is rated as the Reds' 10th-best prospect by Baseball America. He was a Southern League All-Star and is considered to be the most polished shortstop in the system. His defense is supposed to be nearly major league-ready, but the Reds would like to see continued improvement at the plate. Cozart is a career .265 minor league hitter.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20100407/SPORTS07/4070438/1036

mth123
04-08-2010, 05:21 AM
2010 Louisville roster according to the Louisville Courier-Journal:

Pitchers

Travis Wood, Sam Lecure, Matt Maloney, Frederico Baez, Jon Adkins, Chad Reineke, Enerio Del Rosario, Lee Tabor, Justin Lehr, Pedro Viola, Carlos Fisher, Jared Burton, Aroldis Chapman

Catchers

Corky Miller, Wilkin Castillo, Jake Long

Infielders

Chris Burke, Michael Griffin, Drew Sutton, Chris Valaika, Zack Cozart, Todd Frazier

Outfielders

Josh Anderson, Danny Dorn, Chris Heisey, Luis Terrero

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20100407/SPORTS07/100407005/1036

That's 26 players, so someone's probably starting the season on the DL.

No Bill Bray?

Is Fisher DL bound?

Why Jake Long?

batsfan
04-08-2010, 10:40 AM
No Bill Bray?

Is Fisher DL bound?

Why Jake Long?

I assume Bill Bray is on the DL to start the year.

There are 26 players, as mentioned above, which is two over the 24 man AAA limit. Jake Long will fill Brian Peterson's role last year, and will start the season on the temporarily inactive list (or something like that), and will most likely be the first base coach and backup catcher in case something happens to the other two. Baez would be a good guess to be the emergency pitcher on the TI list, a role which Justin Mallet had to start last season. Tabor or Rienke could also fill that role, or Fisher could start on the DL as you mentioned, but then why would they show him and not Bray?

Aside from Bray, there is another major pitcher that is not on any minor league roster: Ben Jukich. Has he been traded?

dougdirt
04-08-2010, 12:55 PM
I assume Bill Bray is on the DL to start the year.

There are 26 players, as mentioned above, which is two over the 24 man AAA limit. Jake Long will fill Brian Peterson's role last year, and will start the season on the temporarily inactive list (or something like that), and will most likely be the first base coach and backup catcher in case something happens to the other two. Baez would be a good guess to be the emergency pitcher on the TI list, a role which Justin Mallet had to start last season. Tabor or Rienke could also fill that role, or Fisher could start on the DL as you mentioned, but then why would they show him and not Bray?

Aside from Bray, there is another major pitcher that is not on any minor league roster: Ben Jukich. Has he been traded?

Jukich didn't get any time in ST with the Cardinals before being returned to the Reds when they couldn't work out a trade (he was a Rule V pick). Right now he just isn't ready to pitch yet because of a lack of work this spring. He should be ready to go soon, but for now is back in extended spring training playing catch up on his work.

GOYA
04-08-2010, 03:41 PM
I'm a little surprised that Adkins is really back on the roster.

Bray and Arredondo are on the 7-day DL

Jake Long is off the roster.

I'm curious as to how Terrero will hit here.

batsfan
04-08-2010, 03:48 PM
Jake Long is off the roster.

As is Federico Baez, but both will be with the team. This is the same situation that the Bats had with Brian Peterson and Justin Mallet last year.