PDA

View Full Version : Sushi ... in Cincinnati ... at baseball games? You can't be serious

westofyou
04-03-2010, 10:45 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/paul_daugherty/04/01/sushi/

The Cincinnati Reds are selling sushi at Great American Ball Park this year, and all we can know about that is, nothing says hardball in Cincinnati quite like a smoked salmon roll. Pete Rose is rolling over in his seat at the racetrack.

American soldiers saved the world on a diet of canned Spam. The Big Red Machine ran on Wheaties, Red Man and greenies. There is nothing in either narrative that mentions sesame ginger crab rolls, with a side of edamame.

This is going to take some getting used to. It's not that Cincinnati isn't cosmopolitan enough to enjoy an occasional eel roll. It's just that not that long ago, we were eating head cheese.

We still consume 99 percent of all goetta made. According to Wikipedia, goetta is "a peasant food of German origin,'' made of pork shoulder and oatmeal. We enjoy it. It's not the greatest of distinctions. But it's something.

Sushi? I don't know. I really don't.

Degenerate39
04-03-2010, 10:47 AM
When Chapman gets called up they need some Cuban food

westofyou
04-03-2010, 10:48 AM

Pork is a major player in that cuisine, he's in the right place.

hebroncougar
04-03-2010, 11:34 AM
I don't care what kind of food they serve, as long as they keep serving Brauts and Pretzels.

Matt700wlw
04-03-2010, 11:38 AM
Beer, soda, hot dogs, burgers, peanuts, pretzels, nachos... As long as that menu hasn't changed, they can serve all the sushi they want.

jojo
04-03-2010, 11:50 AM
What they need are some $2 bleacher tickets and $1 hotdogs to celebrate attendance cresting over 3M...

redsmetz
04-03-2010, 12:16 PM
I don't care what kind of food they serve, as long as they keep serving Brauts and Pretzels.

Do "brauts" actually have sauerkraut in them?

OnBaseMachine
04-03-2010, 12:18 PM

I'd love to see them start serving Cuban sandwiches...

redsmetz
04-03-2010, 12:19 PM
Pork is a major player in that cuisine, he's in the right place.

This list would have some good offerings, including the famed Cuban Sandwich, although the Masitas de Puerco Fritas might be a good little dish too.

http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Best-Food-Cuba-Has-To-Offer&id=785477

BoydsOfSummer
04-03-2010, 12:34 PM
As long as those damn thunder sticks don't catch on

Always Red
04-03-2010, 02:12 PM
If we can have deep fried Twinkies at GABP, why not sushi?

I'm more likely to have a dog and a beer, but I'm an old-fashioned neanderthal. ;)

TheNext44
04-03-2010, 03:24 PM
I wonder what kind of Sushi will be available.

Just for the record, Sushi is not raw fish necessarily. It's a certain type of rice served in a certain way. In Japan, it commonly is served with raw fish, but there are plenty of Sushi items that don't include any fish, raw or cooked. In fact, a very popular one here in LA is the Beef Teriyaki Roll. Maybe a Brat Roll or a Skyline Roll for GAPB?

Anyway, my personal opinion is that Sushi is awesome, even with the raw fish, but you should only eat that kind when you are less than 50 miles from an ocean.

LoganBuck
04-03-2010, 03:59 PM
The sushi guy was on with Lance the other day. Sounded like refrigerated California rolls, shrimp rolls, salmon rolls, and something else. No raw meat. It will be available in the UDF that has taken the space that used to be the Buildabear workshop.

reds1869
04-03-2010, 05:04 PM
I love the suggestions of Cuban food. That has long been one of my favorite types of cuisine, and could translate well to the ballpark.

redsmetz
04-03-2010, 05:08 PM
The sushi guy was on with Lance the other day. Sounded like refrigerated California rolls, shrimp rolls, salmon rolls, and something else. No raw meat. It will be available in the UDF that has taken the space that used to be the Buildabear workshop.

Glad to see the silly Build-a-Bear place gone. Any sort of food place is welcome over that.

Caveat Emperor
04-03-2010, 05:11 PM
I'd love to see them start serving Cuban sandwiches...

Caveat likes this VERY much. :thumbup:

Yachtzee
04-03-2010, 05:36 PM
Do "brauts" actually have sauerkraut in them?

Sometimes, but I think you're going to have to get the groom's approval before you serve one up with pretzels ("Braut" means "Bride" in German).

TeamBoone
04-03-2010, 07:04 PM
Glad to see the silly Build-a-Bear place gone. Any sort of food place is welcome over that.

It's not silly. It's for kids, not adults.