PDA

View Full Version : Spring training too long?

corkedbat
04-03-2010, 07:55 PM
I'd rather they lop off a week, start/end a week earlier and add another round to the playoffs. Two more wildcards (per league) and a bye to the Division Champs with the Best rcords. The other Division an the other divison champ and the top WC team host the Wildcard Series

JaxRed
04-03-2010, 08:11 PM
I do not want to see any more rounds in the playoffs

dunner13
04-03-2010, 08:12 PM
Or cut off a week and just end the world series a week earlier

mth123
04-03-2010, 08:18 PM
They need the time for the pitchers. These guys are just now getting to the point of working 5 or 6 innings. An extra week of monotony is a small price to protect those arms.

Ron Madden
04-03-2010, 08:22 PM
I agree with Jax and mth about this.

TheNext44
04-03-2010, 08:23 PM
It's my favorite month of the year. I'm a freak and enjoy spring training and minor league games more than regular season ones. So I'm all for extending it to 6 weeks. :D

westofyou
04-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Too long for fake games, too long for the hype, too long for the players to get ready? I have no idea.

The first day of the season trumps spring training by 10 am in the morning.

OnBaseMachine
04-03-2010, 09:01 PM
I do not want to see any more rounds in the playoffs

Agreed. Let's not turn this into the NBA where half the teams make the playoffs, including some with below .500 records.

TeamBoone
04-04-2010, 02:35 PM
no. they may think so, but they really need the "warm up" time after the off season. And for the person who said make it 6 weeks... isn't it 6 weeks already?

I totally agree about the playoffs. It's good the way it is. More teams would make it too diluted.

KronoRed
04-04-2010, 03:26 PM
Spring training is goofy in its current form, how bout a month of the team training near where it plays instead of this outdated silliness of Florida/Arizona.

JaxRed
04-04-2010, 04:10 PM
Nothing like training in 40 degree weather with no other teams around.

corkedbat
04-04-2010, 04:18 PM

Yeah, while I'd love to have the ST site closer so I could see a few games live (can't manage a trip this time of year), the main objective for concentrating it in Fla/Ariz is for the warm weather to get the work in and limit travel expenses to lightly attended games - not fan convenience.

Will M
04-04-2010, 04:27 PM
Agreed. Let's not turn this into the NBA where half the teams make the playoffs, including some with below .500 records.

I believe sports work best when ~25% or so of the teams make the post season. The really old way in which the AL & NL pennant winners met for the world series title is too extreme as is the modern NHL/NBA system where 50% of the teams make the playoffs. the current form in baseball works well. it keeps more teams in the playoff hunt & keeps fans interested. the only changes i would make to baseball would be to make the first playoff round seven games & eliminate all the ridiculous off days in the post season. make a team actually have to have more than two quality starters to be the league champs. last year it seemed like CC pitched every other game.

BCubb2003
04-04-2010, 04:35 PM
Team 96 in next year's NCAA tournament says Hi. Team 97 pouts and says there's an East Coast bias.

Hoosier Red
04-04-2010, 09:09 PM
I believe sports work best when ~25% or so of the teams make the post season. The really old way in which the AL & NL pennant winners met for the world series title is too extreme as is the modern NHL/NBA system where 50% of the teams make the playoffs. the current form in baseball works well. it keeps more teams in the playoff hunt & keeps fans interested. the only changes i would make to baseball would be to make the first playoff round seven games & eliminate all the ridiculous off days in the post season. make a team actually have to have more than two quality starters to be the league champs. last year it seemed like CC pitched every other game.

Personally I think the NBA and NHL seasons are just right. 50% means that being in 1st guarantees you a relatively weak opponent. There's interest throughout the season for teams in the middle to bottom of a conference in trying to make the playoffs, and there's interest from the top of the brackets in trying to play the very worst team.

In the NHL it doesn't work as well because an 8 seed isn't that much worse than a 1 seed, but how often has an 8 seed won a 1st round matchup in the NBA? 4 times in 20+ years?

KronoRed
04-04-2010, 09:14 PM

That's where they end up playing anyway so what does it matter?

Slyder
04-04-2010, 09:22 PM
no. they may think so, but they really need the "warm up" time after the off season. And for the person who said make it 6 weeks... isn't it 6 weeks already?

I totally agree about the playoffs. It's good the way it is. More teams would make it too diluted.

Carve a couple days off the end of ST, Add 1 more team and give extra emphasis to those division winners. In the process try and make it more enticing to teams "almost in it" to go for that final piece.

westofyou
04-04-2010, 09:33 PM
Personally I think the NBA and NHL seasons are just right. 50% means that being in 1st guarantees you a relatively weak opponent. There's interest throughout the season for teams in the middle to bottom of a conference in trying to make the playoffs, and there's interest from the top of the brackets in trying to play the very worst team.

In the NHL it doesn't work as well because an 8 seed isn't that much worse than a 1 seed, but how often has an 8 seed won a 1st round matchup in the NBA? 4 times in 20+ years?

NHL works because the season is so long, injuries and post trade chemistry come into play more. But the largest differential is riding a hot goalie, it's akin to the deadball era riding of a 2 man staff.

Chip R
04-04-2010, 09:42 PM

I agree with what you say. However people complain about teams like the Reds not making the postseason since 1995. They complain that only a few teams have an opportunity to win the World Series whereas in the NFL, everyone supposedly has an equal opportunity to win the Super Bowl. If more teams made the playoffs in MLB, perhaps fans would believe their teams are more successful because they made the playoffs at least a few times in a 10-20 year period.