PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Reds History (4/4/10): Past Lineups

Big Klu
04-04-2010, 01:30 AM
10 years ago (2000), a 5-1 loss at Riverfront Stadium vs. the Brewers.

Milwaukee Brewers
Marquis Grissom cf
Mark Loretta ss
Jeromy Burnitz rf
Charlie Hayes 1b
Geoff Jenkins lf
Jose Hernandez 3b
Ronnie Belliard 2b
Henry Blanco c
Valerio de los Santos p

Cincinnati
Pokey Reese 2b
Barry Larkin ss
Ken Griffey Jr. cf
Dante Bichette rf
Dmitri Young 1b
Alex Ochoa lf
Aaron Boone 3b
Benito Santiago c
Denny Neagle p

WP: Jim Bruske (1-0)
LP: Scott Williamson (0-1)
HR: MIL - Jeromy Burnitz 2 (2). CIN - Dmitri Young (1).

Valerio de los Santos, Jim Bruske, Curtis Leskanic, David Weathers, and Bob Wickman combined on a four-hitter for the Brewers. The only hits for the Reds were a two-out double by Denny Neagle in the third inning, a leadoff homer by Dmitri Young in the fifth, and back-to-back singles by pinch-hitter Chris Stynes and Pokey Reese leading off the sixth. Reds left-hander Hector Mercado made his major-league debut in this game.

Big Klu
04-04-2010, 01:50 AM
Five years ago (2005), a 7-6 win on Opening Day at Great American Ball Park vs. the Mets.

New York Mets
Jose Reyes ss
Kaz Matsui 2b
Carlos Beltran cf
Mike Piazza c
Cliff Floyd lf
Doug Mientkiewicz 1b
David Wright 3b
Eric Valent rf
Pedro Martinez p

Cincinnati
D'Angelo Jimenez 2b
Ken Griffey Jr. cf
Sean Casey 1b
Austin Kearns rf
Adam Dunn lf
Joe Randa 3b
Rich Aurilia ss
Jason LaRue c
Paul Wilson p

WP: Danny Graves (1-0)
LP: Braden Looper (0-1)
HR: NY - Kaz Matsui (1), Carlos Beltran (1), Cliff Floyd (1). CIN - Adam Dunn 2 (2), Joe Randa (1).

Trailing 6-4 heading into the bottom of the ninth inning, the Reds got a leadoff single by Austin Kearns, followed by a game-tying two-run homer by Adam Dunn, followed by a game-winning solo homer by Joe Randa. I was at this game, and GABP went absolutely berzerk when Dunn tied the game in the ninth (he had already hit a three-run homer in the first inning off Pedro). Then, before anyone had a chance to settle down, Joe Randa kicked it up a couple of notches with a game-winning blast! It was pandemonium at GABP!

OnBaseMachine
04-04-2010, 01:55 AM
Five years ago (2005), a 7-6 win on Opening Day at Great American Ball Park vs. the Mets.

New York Mets
Jose Reyes ss
Kaz Matsui 2b
Carlos Beltran cf
Mike Piazza c
Cliff Floyd lf
Doug Mientkiewicz 1b
David Wright 3b
Eric Valent rf
Pedro Martinez p

Cincinnati
D'Angelo Jimenez 2b
Ken Griffey Jr. cf
Sean Casey 1b
Austin Kearns rf
Adam Dunn lf
Joe Randa 3b
Rich Aurilia ss
Jason LaRue c
Paul Wilson p

WP: Danny Graves (1-0)
LP: Braden Looper (0-1)
HR: NY - Kaz Matsui (1), Carlos Beltran (1), Cliff Floyd (1). CIN - Adam Dunn 2 (2), Joe Randa (1).

Trailing 6-4 heading into the bottom of the ninth inning, the Reds got a leadoff single by Austin Kearns, followed by a game-tying two-run homer by Adam Dunn, followed by a game-winning solo homer by Joe Randa. I was at this game, and GABP went absolutely berzerk when Dunn tied the game in the ninth (he had already hit a three-run homer in the first inning off Pedro). Then, before anyone had a chance to settle down, Joe Randa kicked it up a couple of notches with a game-winning blast! It was pandemonium at GABP!

That was probably the best game I've ever been to. As you said, GABP went absolutely crazy when Dunn tied the game up, and even more so when Joe Randa followed with a walk-off HR. Strangers were hugging strangers, literally. Some guy sitting behind me jumped up and hugged me as soon as Randa's homer cleared the fence. What an awesome game that was.

TheNext44
04-04-2010, 01:56 AM
Yea! My favorite recurring thread on Redszone.

Always fun to go back in time.

Thanks Big Klu!

reds44
04-04-2010, 03:11 AM
That was probably the best game I've ever been to. As you said, GABP went absolutely crazy when Dunn tied the game up, and even more so when Joe Randa followed with a walk-off HR. Strangers were hugging strangers, literally. Some guy sitting behind me jumped up and hugged me as soon as Randa's homer cleared the fence. What an awesome game that was.
I was at this game as well, and it was amazing. I remember the Reds getting off to a quick start against Pedro, and then Pedro being absolutely dominate for the rest of the game.

Griffey, Casey, Kearns, Dunn was absolute hell for opposing pitchers to find their way through. The most frusterating part of that for me is to think of the offense the Reds could have had the following year:

Casey 1B
Phillips 2B
Lopez SS
Edwin 3B
Dunn LF
Griffey CF
Kearns RF
LaRue/Ross/Valentin C

Aurilia as the first batt off the bench.

The Reds ended up trading Casey for Dave Williams (bad), but signed Hatteberg who was actually pretty good with the Reds. "TEH TRADE!!!!!11" really did kill what was a legitimatley good offense. Just imagine the 2006 offense with our pitching staff this year.

KronoRed
04-04-2010, 04:33 AM
I think half of RZ was at that 2005 game.

cumberlandreds
04-05-2010, 08:17 AM
I wasn't there but it was one of the most thrilling Opening day wins I can remember.

Roy Tucker
04-05-2010, 08:21 AM
That 2000 lineup looked so awesome at the time. They came within an eyelash of winning in '99 and now we had Junior. The world laid at our feet.