PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day Anticipation Thread.

corkedbat
04-04-2010, 02:31 PM
I always love Opening Day. If nothing else, it has always seemed a stake in the heart of winter (which I hate) and a sign that warmer days are coming. I have to admit though that I haven't been as excited about the Reds season the past few years as I used to.

That's kind of changed this season. The youth and expecially the young pitching as me anxious for the team to take the field.

Thought I'd start this thread to share our feelings and concerns (not saying predicitons) about the upcoming year as we wait for first pitch tomorrow.

I've already said the young talent is what encourages me most. The two areas that I have the most concerns about? Aaron Harang and the offense.

* With a 162-game schedule, you can't say there are any "must-win" games, but I'd really like to see us set the stage early and take at least two0of-three for the Cards. A solid start from big Aaron tomorow would certainly be a nice sign. I love Aaron and hope his woes were due to injury/mechanics and Price is part of the answer.

If right, Harang gives a young staff needed experience at the top of the rotation, If he comes out showing more of the same we've seen over the last two years, then he's an $11M weight with diminishing trade value. A strong performance tomorrow would really be nice.

* I was hoping Jocketty could add a bat to boost the offensive production in the middle of the lineup and maybe a young SS with solid OBP skills to bat in one of the top two spots in the order. Gomes and Cabrera weren't exactly what I had in mind, but they're the hand we're dealt.

This teams ability to consistently get on base has been my biggest peeves with the Reds FO. I don't see them valuing it when it seems so crucial. Hopefully, Stubbs and Dickerson can turn this around a bit and give the guys behind them some increased RBI opportunities.

I'm also hoping that Gomes can give us a repeat of last season, but I'm not sure that will happen, especially if his overall ABs increase. I'm hoping there is a solid bat in our future come the trade deadline (or sooner). I'm expecting him to be splitting time with a youngster (Francisco?) if no outsuder is acquied by then.

The biffest key to the season IMO though, is Jay Bruce. In order for this team to take a step up this year, Jay must also. Getting off to a fast start would really be huge. I'd like to see him raise his Average and OPS while reducing his Ks. I think his minor league numbers show its possible, but it's not the minor leagues any more.

Overall though, I'm as psyched about getting the season started as I have been in a long time. It's here! Play Ball!

BearcatShane
04-04-2010, 02:45 PM
I'm very excited. Baseball is a wonderful game, even when the Reds stink. I think they have a chance to be very good this year, if Stubbs and Bruce hit well, watch out.

GAC
04-04-2010, 02:56 PM
What does everything think Harang's line is gonna end up at for his OD start?

I say 5.1 innings, 8 hits, 3 BBs, 4 Runs.

corkedbat
04-04-2010, 03:10 PM
What does everything think Harang's line is gonna end up at for his OD start?

I say 5.1 innings, 8 hits, 3 BBs, 4 Runs.

6.2 IP, 7 Hs, 3 ERs, 3 BBs, 6 Ks, 2 HRs

Captain Hook
04-04-2010, 10:09 PM
6.2 IP, 7 Hs, 3 ERs, 3 BBs, 6 Ks, 2 HRs

I'll agree with the 3 ERs in 6.2 IP from Harang and will also say that Bruce and Votto go deep in a memorable OD win.I'm also going to go out on a far longer limb and predict that Nix Ks 3 times and Dusty Baker is highly criticized for his OD lineup despite a fantastic win.

WVRedsFan
04-04-2010, 11:11 PM
I'm always excited on Opening Day. The fresh start. Hopes are always high. I plan to leave work early and head home with my son to watch the game in HD. It is in HD, isn't it?

WMR
04-04-2010, 11:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTQpX--WRz0&feature=player_embedded

Captain Hook
04-04-2010, 11:41 PM
I'm always excited on Opening Day. The fresh start. Hopes are always high. I plan to leave work early and head home with my son to watch the game in HD. It is in HD, isn't it?

I'm sure the ESPN broadcast will be HD.

Regarding HD I have insight and there doesn't seem to be a second FSN in HD like there is ESPN and all the other HD channels.I know DirecTv offers FSN in HD.Does anyone know if I'm SOL or if I will get the Reds in HD this season?

WVRedsFan
04-05-2010, 12:35 AM

Regarding HD I have insight and there doesn't seem to be a second FSN in HD like there is ESPN and all the other HD channels.I know DirecTv offers FSN in HD.Does anyone know if I'm SOL or if I will get the Reds in HD this season?

Just checked. Looks like Channel 661 on DirecTV will have the Reds broadcast in HD, so I'm good.

TheNext44
04-05-2010, 12:47 AM
I just wish I could be there. :(

fugowitribe
04-05-2010, 12:57 AM
I can't even sleep right now. In 6 hours 700 WLW will start their programming for this holiday to us all. I can't get enough coverage from those guys before the game. This season has high hopes, and lived up to or not, I will remember going to Opening Day with my old man and brother and will take the memories with me and begin the countdown until next year's OD. I have been going every year since I was 7 or 8 years old. I thank the Reds for the tradition, and I thank all of us who are grinning from ear to ear right now at 1 A.M. for helping me remember it is the kid in me that loves this game and that is who I get to be tommorow. I will sit with my father and be the proudest kid in the ballpark. Go Reds, Stay Healthy, and let me go to my first playoff game this year.

Ron Madden
04-05-2010, 01:02 AM
I feel just like a little boy on Christmas Eve.

WVRedsFan
04-05-2010, 01:10 AM
I just wish I could be there. :(

Two of us. Maybe someday, but not this year. I'll have to jut watch on TV again...

redsfan30
04-05-2010, 02:14 AM
I'm having trouble sleeping right now. I'm leaving at 7:30 and I'd like to get at least a couple hours but at this point its not looking likely.

Ltlabner
04-05-2010, 07:10 AM
Looking forward to the game. Somehow we (my father) wrangled seats in the 200 section which is awesome for any game, let alone opening day.

Weather is supposed to be in the mid 70's with only a 20% chance of rain.

Despite nearly killing my interest in the team last year these scoundrels have somehow sucked me in again.

Degenerate39
04-05-2010, 07:13 AM
Really excited for the season to start. I'm not liking the opening day line up but it doesn't matter to me. I just want to watch them

kbrake
04-05-2010, 07:23 AM
Happy Opening Day everyone. Best day of the year by far. Might stretch it to 10 straight years of awful but for at least today we have hope. Best wishes to all of you today. Enjoy it.

UKFlounder
04-05-2010, 08:44 AM
After I got off my bus & was walking to the office, there were already a couple people on Fountain Square with their chairs set up next to 5th street, to get a front row seat for the parade. At least they have a pleasant morning to be sitting out there for a couple of hours. :)

(Let me add: this was about 5-10 minutes before 8:00. Who knows how long they had already been there?)

lollipopcurve
04-05-2010, 09:01 AM
When I was little, I went to a few Opening Day games at Crosley and Riverfront with my dad and brother. I regret now never having seen the parade (until it entered the ballpark). So, if anybody in Cincy hits the parade today, I would love to hear about it! It's a great tradition.

This is going to be a really fun season, what with this bumper crop of young arms. They'll take their lumps -- how much progress will we see?

WebScorpion
04-05-2010, 11:15 AM
I'm excited about the game, but even more excited for the games to come. I'm not expecting too much on Opening Day besides seeing the guys with the 'wishbone C' take the field. I expect Harang to still be a little rusty and I'm not sure the young guys will fare well against Carpenter. The thing I like about this team is that they play solid defense. Somehow I feel better saying, "We'll get them tomorrow." if the Reds haven't made a bunch of errors in the field. Hopefully, I won't have to use that line much this year. ;)

Captain Hook
04-05-2010, 12:49 PM

Found the answer to my question.While FSN doesn't have a HD channel on insight they do play HD broadcast on channel 929.Watching Reds pre game right now and it looks fantastic!