PDA

View Full Version : Your impressions from Opening Day?

redsfan_12
04-05-2010, 05:30 PM
Just a couple of my thoughts.

Offensively
Votto is a stud
Stubbs should be in center field. Plus he can fly
Bruce looks awful/ uncomfortable at the plate
Cabrera laid an egg
Francisco will be good

Defense
Pretty solid for the most part I thought.
Dickerson should have thrown out Pujols by 15 ft in the 9th.
Phillips made a nice throw on the bunt by Carpenter.
Votto and Rolen made a couple nice grabs
Votto should have caught the pick-off that allowed Pujols to score

Dusty- What are you thinking??
Lincoln and Masset :bang:
All in all, not going to panic. Just one game. Guess I'll have to be in a bad mood until Wednesday night. Atleast ill be there :)

Vottomatic
04-05-2010, 05:31 PM
I hate to say it, but it looked like a little bit of a replay from last year.

Harang not pitching well. Bruce not hitting well. Very few clutch hits with lots of men left on base. Dusty pulling the wrong strings in terms of the bullpen.

It's only one game, but I knew what was coming every time Dusty went to make a move.

redsfan_12
04-05-2010, 05:32 PM
Agreed. We've seen this many times before.

muddie
04-05-2010, 05:37 PM
I thought the Reds were bad fundamentally, bad decisions as well. An ill advised pick off move that was costly; throwing two pitches down the heart of the plate to Pujols that got the expected results, and an overthrown ball at the plate that was brutally inexcusable at this level. This team has some holes but I believe they are better than they played.

Francisco was a bright spot as was Ondrusek. I'm glad Stubbs got in there and he looked good also.

redram
04-05-2010, 05:40 PM
A continuance of last year.

PLAYMAKERPROD
04-05-2010, 05:42 PM
Cards 11, reds 6

Knightro28
Just a couple of my thoughts.

Offensively
Votto is a stud
Stubbs should be in center field. Plus he can fly
Bruce looks awful/ uncomfortable at the plate
Cabrera laid an egg
Francisco will be good

Defense
Pretty solid for the most part I thought.
Dickerson should have thrown out Pujols by 15 ft in the 9th.
Phillips made a nice throw on the bunt by Carpenter.
Votto and Rolen made a couple nice grabs
Votto should have caught the pick-off that allowed Pujols to score

Dusty- What are you thinking??
Lincoln and Masset :bang:
All in all, not going to panic. Just one game. Guess I'll have to be in a bad mood until Wednesday night. Atleast ill be there :)

I agree with you for the most part. One thing that can't really be second-guessed is Masset's implosion though. Nobody saw that coming. He just couldn't hit the zone.

The Lincoln move is all on Dusty, but Masset was unforseeable.

PLAYMAKERPROD
http://www.lexy.com/#post?feed_id=1450&item_id=130403 (FREE AUDIO UPDATES FROM REDS GAMES: TODAY CARDS 11, REDS 6)

nemesis
04-05-2010, 05:44 PM
Dickerson is just not comfortable in LF. Last year didn't he drop a few fly balls the few times he played there? RedsFan12... Carpenter can make almost anyone in Baseball look uncomfortable or lay an egg. I wouldn't rush to judge either just yet. Middle of May if things look the same then I'd start to worry...

SullyGator
04-05-2010, 05:47 PM
My positives:
-Phillips looked good in his first at-bat. Needs to be more selective.
-Ondrusek looked GOOD.
-Obviously Votto.
-Francisco. Likely to go to AAA soon but I'm really excited for him.
-Herrera got out of that jam like a champ. Nerves of steel.

Negatives:
-Bringing in Lincoln on Opening Day and while the game was still close. Really not surprised at the outcome.
-Harang's throw. I think he'll be OK pitching. But 1st/3rd, the most he should have done is fake a pickoff.

Mr Larkin
04-05-2010, 05:49 PM
I think there were a couple of very bad plays, but there was some bright spots as well.

Harang was not bad. Massett was bad. Lincoln bad as well. The other relievers actually looked good.

Bad pick off throw - wrong timing.
Stubbs still got it.
Bruce needs to get it.
Rolen is solid.
Votto is getting better and better.
Francisco could be very good.

Not going to hang my head. The ball bounced the wrong way, or was tossed to the backstop in Dickerson's play, but there is great potential.

SullyGator
04-05-2010, 05:50 PM
This team has some holes but I believe they are better than they played.

I agree. I think we all know the team isn't really that sloppy. They kept in the game until the 9th inning, which was pretty impressive.

redsfan_12
04-05-2010, 05:50 PM
RedsFan12... Carpenter can make almost anyone in Baseball look uncomfortable or lay an egg. I wouldn't rush to judge either just yet. Middle of May if things look the same then I'd start to worry...

Never said he couldnt..just my impressions from today's game

NeilHamburger
04-05-2010, 06:07 PM
Biggest positive for me is Rolen showing significant power.

He had a homer, and barely missed a second one. If Rolen is finally fully back from the shoulder, and he can hit for 20+ hr power on top of his good average it completely changes the offense.

RedLakerFan24
04-05-2010, 06:16 PM
Dam.m it Nick Masset, you messed up my Fantasy Baseball match, ruined my good Halladay start

Krawhitham
04-05-2010, 06:18 PM
a couple balls got by Rolen that should have been fielded, and him cutting off the throw to home

Harang blew and got lucky he only have up 4 runs

Bruce looked lost

Votto is a beast

never pitch to the machine

Phillips is swinging for the fences again

Stubbs looked good (you have to love his speed)

Dickerson might just be a AAAA player

mroby85
04-05-2010, 06:23 PM
-I thought the pickoff throw shouldn't have even been made.
-Harang isn't a top tier starter, but we've known that for 2 years now.
-The top 2 need to get on base for Votto, so he can get some AB's with runners on.
-Dusty made some bad moves from the bullpen including leaving lincoln in. No gripes about Massett, I probably wouldve brought him in to, he just didn't get it done.
-They shouldn't have pitched to Pujols.
-Bruce didn't look good, nothing new.
-Dickerson needs to make that throw to the plate.
-They need to get Juan Francisco AB's.
-Rolen looked really good, he's just a pro, plays pro defense, and gives pro at bats.
-Phillips hasn't changed a bit, and will swing from the heels, and be inconsistent offensively.
-Ondrusek looked good
Thats most of what I thought from watching the game.

jredmo2
04-05-2010, 06:27 PM
3 things:

1. Cabrera looked ugly out there. Offense and defense.

2. Bruce didn't look terrible, IMO. But I really think you gotta get him higher in the lineup. He was really pressing in the 8th (7th?) trying to tie it up when he could have walked. I think he'll calm down (or, I really, really hope so)

3. Dusty... I mean what can you say. You think, "Lincoln and Cairo are the last guys on the squad, no big deal that they made it and are terrible." So what does Dusty do? Let's take Harang out for a nice worthless Cairo AB. Then, why not, let's bring Lincoln in to groove one to ALBERT PUJOLS. It's like Dusty's goal was to infuriate Redszone.

Orodle
04-05-2010, 06:29 PM
still got 161 more left so I dont want to seem as if I'm freaking out, but

-we give the pitcher so many free strikes by swinging out of the zone. Looking at you Phillips.

-I've said this for a few seasons now. Harang needs to change the eye level of the hitter. Doesnt necessarily have to brush someone back but EVERYTHING he throws is at the knees or lower. Ya this is a great spot to be but if the hitter knows to lock in on low and nothing else it makes it a whole lot easier for him.

Mutaman
04-05-2010, 06:30 PM
I think they should bring back Dick Pole.

bgwilly31
04-05-2010, 06:37 PM
As for the actual players I actually feel as good as i can after a loss.

We put some runs on the board vs some pretty hard throwers. And only made a couple bonehead plays on defense.

Harang pitched fine. Take away a couple of pitches and he threw a great game imo.

Some things that need to change.

-Stinken Lincoln needs to go and fast! I saw this coming all pre-season. Frankly i dont know how anybody could have missed it.

-Stubbs needs to start!

-Bruce.... Is sooooo dissapointing.

-Dusty needs to grow a brain.

Other than those fun facts I still feel pretty good. I was proud how our team actually stayed in the game after your coach brings in a guy like lincoln.

The only other guy that people aren't complaining about to much yet is Masset. he did absolutely terrible as well. But he pitched pretty darn well last year from what i can remember so im not sure yet what to think about him.

bgwilly31
04-05-2010, 06:40 PM
-we give the pitcher so many free strikes by swinging out of the zone. Looking at you Phillips.

Good point i forgot to mention this.

You can pretty much go through our lineup, aside from maybe votto/rolen today, and find terrible pitches out of the zone that we are swinging at.

Some much worse than others.

But again I still feel pretty good about 6 runs on the board considering who we were facing.

Jack Burton
04-05-2010, 06:56 PM
Cabrera was a terrible signing.

berryluther
04-05-2010, 07:03 PM
Dickerson has never been anything other than a Triple A player.

Harrang is done I dont care if he is throwing 94 his heater has zero movement.

Bruce will come around.

I know he isnt going to play at 3rd but I say put Francisco in left and let him get 500 abs. and see what he can do.

big boy
04-05-2010, 07:10 PM
If we see the 2009 version of Jay Bruce, how long will he get a pass? All comments from Dusty indicate he has a long leash.

kfm
04-05-2010, 07:12 PM
Dickerson has never been anything other than a Triple A player. It isnt a man love thing. Its a black thing. Dusty did the same thing with D Mac last year.

Harrang is done I dont care if he is throwing 94 his heater has zero movement.

Bruce will come around.

I know he isnt going to play at 3rd but I say put Francisco in left and let him get 500 abs. and see what he can do.

So Dusty plays DIckerson because he is black. So why does he pitch Mike Lncoln, is he dating Dusty's daughter. Dickerson is no super star but if the reds had more players who had his ability to avoid making outs, white or black, their offense would be much better off. Nice race card.

kfm
04-05-2010, 07:16 PM
Nice to see Harangs velocity is comig back. Let's see if the mechanics will help his slider come back. If it is possible Votto looks even more locked in considering he did his damage against Carpenter. Other than that, it is one game and they lost. Had they blown out the Cardinals and Harang pitched a shoutout, would we all be saying Harang is back and they are going to the world series??? Doubt it, it was one game, nothing more than that.

GIDP
04-05-2010, 07:18 PM
The good: Votto, Stubbs, some relievers
The bad: Cabreras range, Lincoln, Harang letting 2 homers happen, and Masset just being very wild.

bgwilly31
04-05-2010, 07:24 PM
cmon cabreras range.... i think he had two balls hit his all game.

I think you might be jumping the gun there a bit.

GIDP
04-05-2010, 07:28 PM
cmon cabreras range.... i think he had two balls hit his all game.

I think you might be jumping the gun there a bit.

Oh well better not see you say anything bad about lincoln, too late.

DJ B.K.
04-05-2010, 07:29 PM
My thoughts...that they would be a lot better without Dusty Baker as manager. They showed promise outside of his mess ups.

mdccclxix
04-05-2010, 07:36 PM
I thought the ESPN crew was pretty tough on the young players, especially Musberger on Dickerson, but you know it kind of opened my eyes. These young guys have to distinguish themselves among the best of the best for the Reds to really contend. Guys like Musberger are used to seeing "better baseball". We'll see, the Reds aren't exactly media darlings.

SullyGator
04-05-2010, 07:48 PM
berryluther, don't bring race into the discussion. Always ends up ugly. Dusty was going off of what he felt was the best choice, like it or not. I didn't like the decision either. But come on.

Trace's Daddy
04-05-2010, 08:16 PM
Few thoughts:

#1 Stubbs should be the starting CF and probably the leadoff hitter with his speed and the good at bat that I got to see on ESPN.
#2 NEVER pitch to Pujols.
#3 O.C. is rangeless

sivman17
04-05-2010, 08:49 PM
This team isn't a whole lot different from last year's team, so it really shouldn't be any surprise to see the same things happening... Harang struggling on the mound, Bruce struggling at the plate, Lincoln being a complete ****** bag terrible excuse for a pitcher, Baker making terrible managerial decisions (putting Lincoln in the game), and Votto hitting everything thrown to him.

I was awfully unimpressed by Cabrera. I know it's only one game but he really showed his lack of range at short. I'm not sure if he's much of a solution for us.

That throw by Dickerson was absolutely horrible and inexcusable. I don't like Nix starting in left, either.

FlyerFanatic
04-05-2010, 09:49 PM
this team wont compete this season. book it already. hopefully that means the nail in the coffin for dustys tenure here. sorry to be a debbie downer, but seeing the same type of mistakes as last season is inexcusable. dusty isnt gonna change, so his screw ups are gonna be there, dickerson overthrowing/harang throw over were both ridiculous, and should never happen at the big league level. batting BP in the 4th slot pisses me off, hes not suited for it. he thinks he has to be a power guy, but he tries to hard and swings at garbage. bruce might be doomed because dusty is in his head about hacking at everything. when bruce came up his first few weeks he was so patient, and he raked cuz of it. now hes been turned into swinging at stuff in the dirt as well. harang is well, harang and is done for imo.

obvious bright spots are votto, but we knew he would be there. ondrusek looked good.

stubbs should be starting, ridiculous he wasnt. at least put gomes in there, laynce nix? COME ON.

cbowen2112
04-05-2010, 10:09 PM
Hind sight is 20/20 but without some of the moves that were made, this could (should) have been the lineup today:

CF Stubbs
3B Rolen
1B Votto
RF Bruce
2B Phillips
SS Janish
LF Francisco
C Hernandez

I would have been totally comfortable with this lineup after all of these guys' Springs.

Janish will get his chance at some point. Next year this team will be ridiculous.

No more Harang (crosses fingers)
Volquez back to form

Rotation of:
Volquez
Cueto
Chapman
Bailey
Leake

We have some great trade bait and if Volquez does not return to speed, Wood is waiting in the minors.

Bright futures for this team. Just not this year I am afraid.

Oh yeah, NO MORE DUSTY!

Of course the Reds could go out the rest of the week and dominate.

Here's to hoping!!!!:beerme:

Ghosts of 1990
04-05-2010, 11:34 PM
Albert Pujols-superhuman and can't be stopped. Why pitch to him 5 times?
Logan Ondrusek hit 94 on the gun. Gem in the rough I believe he will be.
Joey Votto, just continuing to show he is our best player.
Fans, why show up to Opening Day in the 4th inning to your seats and be mad someone who got there for first pitch is sitting in them?
Weather: unreal. What an amazing day, I got sun burnt
Newport on the levi gave free limo rides to the stadium from Bulldogs the bar we were at
Nix shouldn't have been in the lineup
Jay Bruce needs to pick it up, people are starting to sour on the things he has struggled with quickly even though he's just 23 it's the way it is. it's time.
Aaron Harang is toast, he's not an ace. This will be his last season as a Red. He labored a lot and was lucky to only give up as much damage as he did

mlh1981
04-05-2010, 11:38 PM
Is it a "macho" thing to throw Pujols those pitches, plain stupidity, or just mistakes?

I can't believe he got meatballs like that to hit.

Carolina Red
04-06-2010, 12:15 AM
Here's my two cents:

Dusty should be replaced with Lou next season

Stubbs should be the everyday CF

Brandon Phillips should bat second and Rolen should bat cleanup

Harang is toast, package him in a trade ASAP, hopefully for a very good SS in Florida

Mike Lincoln should be included in the Harang trade

Walk Pujols every time he bats against us for the rest of his career

Ondrusek will be the closer next season

texasdave
04-06-2010, 04:04 AM
It was nice to see Brandon Phillips walk to lead off the 8th. The Reds needed baserunners at that time and BP showed some patience.
Dusty, if CF and SS are supposed to be defensive positions why do they get the most at-bats for you?

gilpdawg
04-06-2010, 07:28 AM
Harang is toast, package him in a trade ASAP, hopefully for a very good SS in Florida

You're surely not talking about Hanley are you? There isn't a package we could offer to get that guy, unless you give them Chapman and someone like Cueto or Bailey or Bruce or all three. Not happening.

redsfan_12
04-06-2010, 11:42 AM
Walk Pujols every time he bats against us for the rest of his career

Agreed

Newport Red
04-06-2010, 12:25 PM
Glad to get that game out of the system.

The odds of beating Carpenter aren't good. They did make him throw a lot of pitches though.

Let someone other than Pujols beat you.

texasdave
04-06-2010, 12:32 PM
Edwin Encarnacion 0 for 4 with an error. Sweet.

bgwilly31
04-06-2010, 01:48 PM
lol. EE is a beast dont talk bad about him around here. :p:

Cabrera might not have range. But how about we hold off on jumping to conclusions until we see him go after more than one diving ground ball up the middle.

You guys dont even know what part of the field he was playing when the ball was hit. He may have been shading the gap. The ball was hit hard and up the middle. Hold your conclusions until you have seen at least a few. sheesh.

Newport Red
04-06-2010, 02:39 PM
... and I'm really starting to like Drew Stubbs.

Jack Burton
04-06-2010, 05:36 PM
Start Janish

Carolina Red
04-06-2010, 06:29 PM
You're surely not talking about Hanley are you? There isn't a package we could offer to get that guy, unless you give them Chapman and someone like Cueto or Bailey or Bruce or all three. Not happening.

Maybe not but the Reds are going to deal Harang this season and we can afford to give up some of our young talent. May as well dream. Hey, no one thought we'd end up with Chapman either. Ramirez would sure look good in our lineup, wouldn't he?

gedred69
04-07-2010, 12:54 AM
I was there as always, late to post as family from all over came to town I had to entertain. Observations? Some stupid defensive plays, (bungle throw to 1st, Rolen's attempted cut-off on the Nix throw to the plate). Harang did okay, other than trying to blow one by the greatest hitter we might ever see. Otherwise;

#1) Stubbs needs in the Line-up, (that coming from a former skeptic).
#2) Jannish would have had more than one ball that alluded Cabrera.
#3) Bruce will be fine.
#4) Votto is thestud.
#5) Gomes should be the everyday LF, (or at least alternate with somebody besides Dickerson).
#6 Phillips should bat------------------2nd maybe?
#7) There may not be any place on the staff for Lincoln, given all the pitching depth this team does for real, have in the Minor.
#8) Ondrusek deserves a serious consideration as a highly valued asset. (I understand calling on Masset, he isthis staffs hammer but, dang!!

Too early to tell, but these are the things I come away with....

Jack Burton
04-07-2010, 07:04 PM
1 last thing about that first game, those aren't HR's in most ballparks.

texasdave
04-07-2010, 09:46 PM
Edwin second game, second error. Sweet.