PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING NEWS: 25 Dead in West Virginia Mine Blast, 4 Others Missing

OnBaseMachine
04-06-2010, 03:12 AM
This is so sad. That mine is about 40 miles from where I live.

JULIAN, WV (WSAZ) -- A statement released from Massey Energy at 1:50 a.m. confirms there have been 25 fatalities at its Upper Big Branch Mine, resulting from a tragic explosion.

Two miners were taken to local hospitals for treatment and four miners are still missing, according to the news release.

A spokesperson says rescue efforts are currently suspended due to conditions underground, but rescue efforts will resume as soon as conditions allow.

http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/89943497.html

RedsBaron
04-06-2010, 07:15 AM
Prayers said.
I am so glad that I do not have to earn a living by going into a coal mine. I think I would freak out if I had to go hundreds or thousands of feet under the earth on a daily basis.

reds1869
04-06-2010, 08:00 AM
Such sad news. My prayers are with everyone connected to the situation.

Degenerate39
04-06-2010, 09:15 AM
Probably 20 or 30 miles from where I live. Terrible news I hate to hear this happening. My sympathy goes out to the families. Couldn't imagine what they're going through.

WVPacman
04-06-2010, 07:39 PM
I live close to where that happened also and my family dodged a huge bullet yesterday.I was gone trout fishing with my Dad,Uncle,Aunt and two cousins.Well it came a thunder storm and my aunt got in her vehicle and turned her radio on and hollered that theres was a explosin in a mine.When she heard the name of the mine she knew one of our family members work there.

We went home and waited passionately and my mom called and found out that our family member made it out BUT he was in there when it happened.What I heard is that he and nine others was in some kind of buggy and when the explosion happened it had so much force that it pushed their buggy and made it go faster than its supposed to but they made it out alive.They also said they was having to duck and dodge things coming threw the air over them on their way out.The force of the blast blowed one guys shirt completly off his back and over his head.Now there was another buggy(or whatever they're called)with them but unfourtunely the word is that they never made it out.My thoughts and prayers are with each and everyone of the familys!!

bucksfan2
04-07-2010, 11:51 AM
I have a couple of questions for those close to the WV mining community.

I have always had the understanding that mining is dangerous and there is an inherent danger that all miners take. I also thought that they are compensated for that.

I am listening to NPR about the mining blast as well as the mining community. They said that in the WV mining community, especially in Appalachia if you complain (non-union) you are likely to be black-balled from all the mines in the area. They say that most miners don't want to leave their land in Appalachia region so they don't complain.

They also said that 86% of the mining companies in America haven't missed a day due to injury in over a year. Then another commentator said thats because the minors hide injuries because they fear for their job.

Are these correct? Can anyone shed anymore light?

reds1869
04-07-2010, 12:13 PM

I have always had the understanding that mining is dangerous and there is an inherent danger that all miners take. I also thought that they are compensated for that.

I am listening to NPR about the mining blast as well as the mining community. They said that in the WV mining community, especially in Appalachia if you complain (non-union) you are likely to be black-balled from all the mines in the area. They say that most miners don't want to leave their land in Appalachia region so they don't complain.

They also said that 86% of the mining companies in America haven't missed a day due to injury in over a year. Then another commentator said thats because the minors hide injuries because they fear for their job.

Having grown up in WV I feel there is a lot of truth to the above, though none of that is specific to the mining industry. I've see the same things here in Cincinnati in factory jobs. Mining is a dangerous profession and the miners can be compensated handsomely. It is hard to generalize, though, as every situation is different.

OnBaseMachine
04-10-2010, 01:59 AM
Sad news. :( The four missing miners were found dead. In all, 29 miners died and two others were injured. Sad, sad, sad. My family knew three of them.

11larkin11
04-10-2010, 02:01 AM
Thank God that the great people of West Virginia ran those Westboro Baptisit Church people out. I hate the WBC more than I hate Al-Qaeda. I don't understand how they're still standing, how a nutjob with a heart hasn't blown up their church with all of them in it yet.

dabvu2498
04-10-2010, 02:31 AM

Here's an article that relates to what you're asking, focusing on a company I deal with on a day-to-day basis.

http://origin-www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/10_12/b4171057616634.htm

Degenerate39
04-10-2010, 10:55 PM
. I hate the WBC more than I hate Al-Qaeda.

I thought you meant the World Baseball Classic for a second lol

OnBaseMachine
04-13-2010, 12:38 AM
Miner 'knew what was going to happen,' mom says

(CNN) -- On Easter Sunday, the day before the explosion that would take his life, Joshua Napper got saved while attending church with his family, his mother said.

When he left her home in Ohio to go work in West Virginia's Upper Big Branch South Mine, Napper left behind letters for his girlfriend and small daughter.

According to his mother, Pam Napper, the letters told them, "If anything happens to me, I'll be looking down from heaven at you all." He told his girlfriend he loved her and asked that "my baby girl" be taken care of, Pam Napper said.

She said her son called her one day last week at 3:30 p.m., long before he should have gotten off work. "Bad ventilation in the mines," he told her. "They sent us home early."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/04/08/west.virginia.mother/