PDA

View Full Version : Does Jay bruce look like he's gained weight?

icehole3
04-06-2010, 12:31 PM
When I first saw him I was kinda wondering something looked different about him and it didnt hit me until this morning, maybe Im just seeing things, so Im throwing this out there. Does he look like he's gained weight this off season?

Degenerate39
04-06-2010, 12:34 PM
On the Reds homepage he's listed as weighing 225. I'm not sure what he was last year but I really haven't noticed any difference

lollipopcurve
04-06-2010, 01:29 PM
Bruce has always looked kinda in mediocre shape to me. Could be wrong.

Nasty_Boy
04-06-2010, 01:39 PM
I was sitting on the wall along the RF line yesterday and he just looked like a solid built ML player. He didn't look overweight at all, IMO... He just looked like a guy that is going from boy to man. He may have to watch his weight in later years, but right now he looks athletic and strong to me.

RedEye
04-06-2010, 01:47 PM
I think he cut his hair, but he looks in good shape to me. He's never going to be svelt, but I don't think this is a concern right now.

Guacarock
04-06-2010, 01:48 PM
Didn't seem like it when I saw him in Arizona this spring, but Gomes was definitely looking trimmed down from last year.

Ron Madden
04-06-2010, 01:48 PM
I was sitting on the wall along the RF line yesterday and he just looked like a solid built ML player. He didn't look overweight at all, IMO... He just looked like a guy that is going from boy to man. He may have to watch his weight in later years, but right now he looks athletic and strong to me.

Agreed.

OnBaseMachine
04-06-2010, 01:56 PM

Agreed.

Mario-Rijo
04-07-2010, 12:03 PM
Actually too me he looked like he had trimmed a few lbs. off, his double chin wasn't as pronounced as last year. Or could have been an illusion created by that haircut but I think he did either lose a few pounds or grew a smidge taller.

VR
04-07-2010, 02:07 PM
Looks a little thick to me ;)

(Redszone trivia....who know the reference?)

Bumstead
04-07-2010, 02:11 PM
I don't think Carlos Zambrano is worried about Jay Bruce stealing his lunch...

REDblooded
04-07-2010, 02:19 PM
To be expected... he's still young and should put a bit more size on his frame.

klw
04-07-2010, 03:21 PM
Looks a little thick to me ;)

(Redszone trivia....who know the reference?)

Calvin Pickering?

Bumstead
04-07-2010, 03:27 PM
Calvin Pickering?

Using the word "little" with the words thick and Calvin Pickering seems to be an understatement remembering Calvin... :eek:

Always Red
04-07-2010, 09:29 PM
This thread is like my wife and daughters watching "What Not to Wear":

do these pants make my butt look fat?? :rolleyes:

Hoosier Red
04-07-2010, 09:40 PM
This thread is like my wife and daughters watching "What Not to Wear":

do these pants make my butt look fat?? :rolleyes:

Oh no, it's not the pants.

Always Red
04-07-2010, 09:52 PM
Oh no, it's not the pants.

Thanks; I knew that but I was hoping for a little help...;)

Mario-Rijo
04-07-2010, 10:02 PM
My mistake I thought he lost a few pounds but it appears he still has that girthy patch on his back called an undisciplined monkey.

Raisor
04-07-2010, 10:44 PM
He's big boned

OnBaseMachine
04-07-2010, 11:41 PM
Bruce hit two line drives tonight. The result? Two outs. I hope his luck changes sometime soon. Meanwhile, the Cardinals bloopers were falling in for hits.

Homer Bailey
04-08-2010, 12:08 AM
Bruce hit two line drives tonight. The result? Two outs. I hope his luck changes sometime soon. Meanwhile, the Cardinals bloopers were falling in for hits.

I honestly don't think I've ever seen a player get less lucky than JB over the last year and 2 games.

Ron Madden
04-08-2010, 02:46 AM
I honestly don't think I've ever seen a player get less lucky than JB over the last year and 2 games.

Agreed.

Razor Shines
04-08-2010, 02:52 AM
Well it's a little early in his career for this type of thread, but it fits right in the pattern. I'm beginning to wonder how much fishing he does in the off season.

Ron Madden
04-08-2010, 02:55 AM
Well it's a little early in his career for this type of thread, but it fits right in the pattern. I'm beginning to wonder how much fishing he does in the off season.

Who cares? It is the Off Season.

Razor Shines
04-08-2010, 02:57 AM
Who cares? It is the Off Season.

I guess the point I was making wasn't very clear.

Ron Madden
04-08-2010, 02:59 AM

Sorry. It went right over my head.

membengal
04-08-2010, 08:36 AM

Clear to me. I gave it a mental smile and a figurative thumbs up.

westofyou
04-08-2010, 08:58 AM
Or how hard he runs to the dugout from the field

Blitz Dorsey
04-08-2010, 10:36 AM
Chris Farley: "Does this shirt make me look fat?"

David Spade: "No, your face does."

membengal
04-08-2010, 10:56 AM
Or how hard he runs to the dugout from the field

I'll sound the alarm when he prankishly calls the banana phone...

GAC
04-09-2010, 04:18 PM
I know it's way too early, but if the kid doesn't learn to handle a breaking pitch I'm gonna change his last name to Cerrano. :D

"Bats, they are sick. I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid. I ask Jobu to come, take fear from bats. I offer him cigar, rum. He will come."

fearofpopvol1
04-09-2010, 09:50 PM
He needs some time in the cages bad. He has looked just clueless out there. I know some of it is bad luck, but he has not looked really lost.

OnBaseMachine
04-10-2010, 09:49 PM
From C. Trent:

Bruce hit the ball squarely a couple times, but each time it went directly toward a gray jersey, leaving him a frustrating 1 for 18 on the season. With two outs in the eighth inning and the potential tying run on first base, Bruce hit a ball as hard as any all day, but 6-foot-5 first baseman Derrek Lee snagged it to end the inning.

"I didn't even have time to think," Bruce said.

Two inches higher, and the ball probably would have rolled into the right field corner, Brandon Phillips would have scored, and Bruce's frequent hard-hit outs this week would have been a little easier to swallow. Instead, he will be greeted by an .056 average and a 2-3 record when he arrives at Great American Ball Park on Sunday.

http://cnati.com/cincinnati-reds/no-luck-for-reds-in-loss-001735/

dougdirt
04-10-2010, 09:53 PM
Jay Bruce has put the ball in play 15 times this season, including 6 line drives. He has 1 hit. I simply can't believe it.

HokieRed
04-10-2010, 09:54 PM
It's about as bad a run of luck as I've ever seen. He'll be ok.

oneupper
04-10-2010, 10:00 PM
At least he's smiling :)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3293/3014128714_1c55508f37.jpg

RedEye
04-10-2010, 11:23 PM
I have a feeling that this thread title is what is causing Bruce's slump. Almost serious about that. If he ever glances at RedsZone, he must feel pretty strange about seeing an entire discussion devoted to his weight. Sometimes I think we're worse than the worst gossip columnists.

fearofpopvol1
04-10-2010, 11:49 PM
I have a feeling that this thread title is what is causing Bruce's slump. Almost serious about that. If he ever glances at RedsZone, he must feel pretty strange about seeing an entire discussion devoted to his weight. Sometimes I think we're worse than the worst gossip columnists.

I don't think it's an unfair topic. Whether the weight gain is true or not, I'm not sure. But a player gaining (or losing) weight can impact a player's performance. Again, not sure if that is the case here with Bruce, but just saying.

_Sir_Charles_
04-11-2010, 10:20 AM
It's about as bad a run of luck as I've ever seen. He'll be ok.

I agree. I'm just hoping he doesn't attempt to alter his approach because of the crappy luck. People who say he's struggling or slumping, just aren't watching his AB's. He's been working counts, showing patience, laying off the breaking balls that he can't do anything with, and making solid contact. Some of the outs he's made this past week have been some of the hardest hit balls I've ever seen. When he breaks out of this "slump" he's going to go on a freaking tear!

And no...it doesn't look like he's gained weight.

Caveat Emperor
04-11-2010, 11:46 AM
Jay Bruce has put the ball in play 15 times this season, including 6 line drives. He has 1 hit. I simply can't believe it.

I actually can. As his pull tendencies have increased, Bruce has become a much easier hitter to defend. I expect his BABIP numbers will continue to be below league-average until he stops trying to put everything into right field and starts going the other way every so often.

As for being 1-18 on the season? Bruce was an easy out in 2009 if you threw him breaking balls low and away. In 2010, Bruce seems to be an easy out if you throw him breaking balls low and away. Frankly, he either needs to learn to lay off that pitch or he has no business on a major league roster.

Chip R
04-11-2010, 11:58 AM
I sure hope his luck changes soon. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

Spring~Fields
04-11-2010, 12:07 PM
BABIP
Jonny Gomes .200
Orlando Cabrera .176
Brandon Phillips .125
Scott Rolen .077
Jay Bruce .067

Joey Votto .417
Drew Stubbs .400
Ramon Hernandez .429

http://www.fangraphs.com/winss.aspx?team=Reds&pos=all&stats=bat&qual=0&type=1&season=2010&month=4

RedsManRick
04-11-2010, 12:28 PM
I actually can. As his pull tendencies have increased, Bruce has become a much easier hitter to defend. I expect his BABIP numbers will continue to be below league-average until he stops trying to put everything into right field and starts going the other way every so often.

As for being 1-18 on the season? Bruce was an easy out in 2009 if you threw him breaking balls low and away. In 2010, Bruce seems to be an easy out if you throw him breaking balls low and away. Frankly, he either needs to learn to lay off that pitch or he has no business on a major league roster.

So how has he managed to put up a 33.3% LD rate while striking out at lower than his career rate? Sure, he's got weaknesses at the plate, like essentially every player other than Albert Pujols. But his "struggles" so far this year are just bad luck.

OnBaseMachine
04-11-2010, 12:36 PM
From C. Trent's website:

"I haven't seen a guy hit the ball this hard with no success in a long time," Baker said. "He probably doesn't want to see D-Lee in a long while."

Baker said Bruce walked into his office after the game Saturday to apologize for his visible frustration after the line drive to Lee, and to assure his manager that he is still in a good frame of mind. Bruce pointed to the fact he drew a walk earlier in the game, a sign that he is laying off the pitches that got him in trouble last season

http://cnati.com/cincinnati-reds/pregame-francisco-sent-down-001737/

fearofpopvol1
04-11-2010, 03:19 PM
The guy has legitimate issues with laying off the breaking stuff. If he hasn't already, he should be spending some time in the cages.

OnBaseMachine
04-11-2010, 03:21 PM
I've been and still am one of his biggest supporters, but Bruce is breaking my heart right now ... He's been unlucky but he's had some bad atbats too. Hopefully he can get it going soon because the Reds desperately need him to hit.

OnBaseMachine
04-11-2010, 08:41 PM
More on Jay Bruce.

As disappointing as his 1-for-20 start is, there is some bright spots. His BABIP is only .067 despite having a 33.3 Line Drive %. His O-Swing% (outside strikezone swing percentage) is 22.2%, down from 26.0% in 2009 and 30.4% in 2008. Yeah, it's a small sample size but it's encouraging at least.

Caveat Emperor
04-11-2010, 09:11 PM
I know this statement will draw heat, but Jay Bruce just isn't a very good player right now. I know he's hitting the ball hard and getting unlucky, but he just gives away ABs with his complete inability to lay off bad breaking balls. Bruce swings at more garbage than any Reds hitter I've seen in a LONG time. He gave away another AB in today's game by swinging at garbage breaking balls. It's like clockwork for him.

It's totally an issue with his ability to identify pitches. He doesn't seem to pick up the breaking ball or come close to judging its flight. As such, he puts himself into pitchers counts with alarming regularity.

I don't know what te solution is, but the problem has been the same since his rookie year. Until he fixes it, I don't see him as being useful to the team as even a bat off the bench. He's young and he has time, but he needs to get it turned around if this team wants to compete.

kaldaniels
04-13-2010, 01:54 PM
Picture is up on deadspin right now of jay flipping the double bird during last nights game...any context to the picture? :D

Caveat Emperor
04-13-2010, 01:56 PM
Picture is up on deadspin right now of jay flipping the double bird during last nights game...any context to the picture? :D

Somebody must've asked him how many base hits he had this season.

Ron Madden
04-13-2010, 01:59 PM

He was just sayn' "Up yours Brook Jacoby". ;)

membengal
04-13-2010, 02:32 PM
Someone told him about this thread at that very moment.

Chip R
04-13-2010, 02:49 PM
Somebody must've asked him how many base hits he had this season.

:lol:

Chip R
04-13-2010, 02:49 PM
:lol:

Either that or he was counting the attendance.

OnBaseMachine
04-13-2010, 04:12 PM

From Fay's twitter:

JBruce apologizes for obscene gesture. Meant as joke. "I forgot where I was. I feel terrible" it was caught on camera. Posted on net.

It came in last night's game after he broke 0-for-17. "That's not me. It was a mistake. It shouldn't have happened."

http://twitter.com/johnfayman

fearofpopvol1
04-13-2010, 04:38 PM

If he were Danny Graves, he'd be DFA for that.

HeatherC1212
04-13-2010, 04:44 PM
That had to have been some type of inside joke or something with one of the guys on the bench (Joey? Jonny Gomes? Brook Jacoby?! :lol: ). I didn't see it so it must not have aired on the Reds broadcast unless it was when I was checking my email or posting in the game thread. I'm sure the twelve Marlins fans who were there last night didn't mind it that much. :p:

oneupper
04-13-2010, 04:52 PM
What is this stupid obsession with "the finger"?
I even see it blurred out on TV movies now as if it were a censured body part.
Sorry. Don't get it.

Jpup
04-13-2010, 05:04 PM
That had to have been some type of inside joke or something with one of the guys on the bench (Joey? Jonny Gomes? Brook Jacoby?! :lol: ). I didn't see it so it must not have aired on the Reds broadcast unless it was when I was checking my email or posting in the game thread. I'm sure the twelve Marlins fans who were there last night didn't mind it that much. :p:

I saw it when it happened and had it DVR'd. Yes, he did it and it aired. Kind of a silly thing for Jay to do, but he admitted and let's move on. Not a big deal to me.

lollipopcurve
04-13-2010, 05:11 PM
I know this statement will draw heat, but Jay Bruce just isn't a very good player right now. I know he's hitting the ball hard and getting unlucky, but he just gives away ABs with his complete inability to lay off bad breaking balls. Bruce swings at more garbage than any Reds hitter I've seen in a LONG time. He gave away another AB in today's game by swinging at garbage breaking balls. It's like clockwork for him.

It's totally an issue with his ability to identify pitches. He doesn't seem to pick up the breaking ball or come close to judging its flight. As such, he puts himself into pitchers counts with alarming regularity.

I don't know what te solution is, but the problem has been the same since his rookie year. Until he fixes it, I don't see him as being useful to the team as even a bat off the bench. He's young and he has time, but he needs to get it turned around if this team wants to compete.

If you go back to the pre-injury Bruce of 2009, you're right. But he's made significant progress since then. Not all the way there yet, because he's going to have to reintegrate his power, but he's doing a nice job, for the most part, of laying off balls out of the zone and using the whole field. I'm encouraged by what I've seen so far.

OnBaseMachine
04-13-2010, 05:27 PM
From Fay's blog:

Jay Bruce got caught on camera giving a double obscene gesture toward the Reds dugout after his double in the second inning last night.

He’s apologized.

“It one of the more stupid things I’ve ever done,” he said. “It was an honest mistake. I wasn’t mad at anyone.

“It was a kidding-around thing. Nonetheless, it was a mistake that shouldn’t have happened. I have to be more professional than that.

“I want to apologize to the fans, my teams, ownership, everyone who supports me.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/04/13/bruce-apologizes-for-gesture/

reds44
04-13-2010, 05:28 PM
Bruce had nothing to apologize for.

OnBaseMachine
04-13-2010, 05:29 PM
Bruce had nothing to apologize for.

I agree. I don't think it's a big deal.

Always Red
04-13-2010, 08:12 PM
I agree. I don't think it's a big deal.

I disagree; I don't think it's a huge deal, but there are thousands and thousands of kids watching Jay.

He said the right thing and it's over.

Giving the finger is a crass and vulgar thing to do- nearly everyone has done it, but not ever in polite company. On TV? no way

I think Jay was flipping off his teammates in the dugout, who were probably razzing the crap out of him after finally getting a hit. Understandable, but he needs to find a way to do it "undercover" next time. ;)

_Sir_Charles_
04-13-2010, 08:24 PM
I disagree; I don't think it's a huge deal, but there are thousands and thousands of kids watching Jay.

Giving the finger is a crass and vulgar thing to do- nearly everyone has done it, but not ever in polite company. On TV? no way

I think Jay was flipping off his teammates in the dugout, who were probably razzing the crap out of him after finally getting a hit. Understandable, but he needs to find a way to do it "undercover" next time. ;)

I agree completely. He did say he forgot where he was. Considering that there was only like 12 or 13 fans in the stadium, I guess he could forget it was a live game and not just a scrimmage. :O)

mth123
04-13-2010, 09:02 PM

:thumbup: