PDA

View Full Version : Enough Love of Pujols Already - No More!

mdccclxix
04-06-2010, 01:52 PM
Yes, it's all fine and dandy to tip your cap, and yesterday's performance was worthy in a sense, but I'm sick of the praise, and I'm sick of the "thank you sir may I have another!" effect.

Yes Pujols is great, not good. Yes, he's a HOFer. Yes, he's a good man (apparently). There are almost no bad things you can say about him, EXCEPT! that he's an ever-lovin' St. Louis Cardinal and he routinely beats the Reds, preferably with 40k + in the stands!

I'm done with it, I hope you're done with it, I hope Marty, Jeff, Welsh, and every media guy is done with it. What has to be said, HAS BEEN SAID 100 TIMES.

It's time for the city and the team to get tough and contend this year, and that means beating Pujols in every way possible. When he beats us, let's lay off the effusive "may I have another" praise. If you should boo anyone, it should be Pujols when he's in town.

But, for all our generosity, here's what he repays:

“You’ve got that crowd going in the first inning, you want to find a way to calm them down,” Pujols said. “That’s what we did.”

He ruined Opening Day, folks. 'Nough said.

bgwilly31
04-06-2010, 02:21 PM
We beat on pujols a few games last year.

Hes not going to hit 2 homers every game.

mroby85
04-06-2010, 02:25 PM
The media will end up turning on Pujols when it comes out that he juiced. I'm not a fan of Pujols, and get sick of hearing about him too, but it's more the Reds fault for pitching to him than it is the media for hyping him. You don't let another teams best player beat you, make Holliday do it, not saying he can't, but you still look smarter that way.

Ghosts of 1990
04-06-2010, 02:35 PM
Well.... he is the greatest hitter of both of our lifetimes. I don't think there are enough things that can be said about him. He is 30, he won't be around forever. We're all getting older fast.

mdccclxix
04-06-2010, 02:36 PM
Hes not going to hit 2 homers every game.

Thank god.

The media will end up turning on Pujols when it comes out that he juiced. I'm not a fan of Pujols, and get sick of hearing about him too, but it's more the Reds fault for pitching to him than it is the media for hyping him. You don't let another teams best player beat you, make Holliday do it, not saying he can't, but you still look smarter that way.

I know, I keep waiting to see him turn into Tiger Woods and Barry Bonds all in one. That would be heaven, but I don't see it happening.

In terms of the media hyping him, I think it's been a slow transition. It's a coping mechanism now. There used to be more frustration, now it's just resignation and almost reverence. We're converts to Pujolsism. That's great for some, but we're not 20 years from now looking back. This is 2010 and I'd like the Reds to win, preferably at this point by dominating so-called "Albert the Great".

mdccclxix
04-06-2010, 03:09 PM
Well.... he is the greatest hitter of both of our lifetimes. I don't think there are enough things that can be said about him. He is 30, he won't be around forever. We're all getting older fast.

I know that excites me too, but I'd rather say that discretely after 7 beers and a NL Central title than just remind everybody every base hit he gets (Welsh).

30 is young. Think, in 2017 he'll likely still be ripping it up. I'm not holding my breath. Nor am I going to try wasting it on effusive praise. He's great, not good. No debate. Enough! Just win! End the endless Albert Pujols victory lap!

texasdave
04-06-2010, 03:33 PM
Forget Albert Pujols and the steroid-carrying horse he rode in on. If there isn't a wishbone-C on the cap, then the player gets no love from me. We're trying to win a division here.

mdccclxix
04-06-2010, 03:57 PM
Forget Albert Pujols and the steroid-carrying horse he rode in on. If there isn't a wishbone-C on the cap, then the player gets no love from me.

texasdave, you are a great Reds fan, cheers! :beerme:

We're trying to win a division here.

New signature, I like it.

Jack Burton
04-06-2010, 04:27 PM
Bean him.

bgwilly31
04-06-2010, 04:51 PM
I find it a bit hard to believe he hasnt juiced.

people talk about griffey not juicing. griffey is believable.

Pujols looks no different than big mac and sosa did.

improbus
04-06-2010, 05:02 PM
Pujols has reached Bonds level, where you simply expect every ball to leave the park. Let's treat him like Bonds and make Matt Holliday beat us.

Vottomatic
04-06-2010, 05:07 PM
I like Pujols, I hate to admit.

But I have also wondered about him juicing. He continues to get bigger and bigger and bigger and bigger......

Jack Burton
04-06-2010, 05:12 PM
Probably HGH since they don't have a test for it.

mdccclxix
04-06-2010, 05:25 PM
In this day and age, you have to wonder about juicing when the most dominant player is extremely dominant.

LaRussa has already coddled one cheater, so he knows how to treat it.

I am without much knowledge on doping, but the numbers draw suspicion.

Our media ought to be pressing questions on him. Rile him up. Let him know he's not welcome or appreciated in Cincinnati.

It must feel great to be adored by your conquered minions, Fay, Marty, and Welsh.

They asked Bench yesterday to step into the Pujols party and he wouldn't do it, he's got too much pride and competitiveness. I'll have to dig up his quote.

Hands22
04-06-2010, 06:38 PM
I'm a fan of greatness and love watching Pujols. It sucks to see it vs the Reds but it really made me feel like baseball was back seeing him hammer balls.

The cheating comments need to stop though. Stop being paranoid about HGH. HGH is not anabolic steroids!! It has very little if any growth effects in adults and will not turn you in to Lou Ferrigno. The testing is good enough that no one is getting away with the anabolic and androgenic substances from before. These players have unlimited resources as far as training equipment and staff. If there are gains in size, it's due to a player working his butt off for 5 or 6 months in the off-season.

bgwilly31
04-06-2010, 06:43 PM
Lance nix is naturally built. Griffey was naturally built.

Pujols is sosa and big mac built. There's plenty reason for suspicion.

SullyGator
04-06-2010, 06:45 PM
The cheating comments need to stop though. Stop being paranoid about HGH. HGH is not anabolic steroids!! It has very little if any growth effects in adults and will not turn you in to Lou Ferrigno. The testing is good enough that no one is getting away with the anabolic and androgenic substances from before. These players have unlimited resources as far as training equipment and staff. If there are gains in size, it's due to a player working his butt off for 5 or 6 months in the off-season.

Then why are players and player unions so violently against HGH testing in almost every sport? Also, if they have "very little if any growth effects" then why are they called growth hormones?

Hands22
04-06-2010, 07:15 PM
Then why are players and player unions so violently against HGH testing in almost every sport? Also, if they have "very little if any growth effects" then why are they called growth hormones?

The players union is usually against testing for anything. As far as tests, biosynthetic HGH can be detected via radioimmunoassey pretty easily and accurately, but any HGH taken from human cadavers or hGH released via drugs that stimulate release still cause problems. HGH increases causes release of insulin growth factors that can be tested for in the blood. It would need to be very recent to show up though, and again, MLB players getting random blood tests is not something the union is going to let happen easily. Blood testing is a collective bargaining issue and if it happens it will be used as a "we'll let you do this if you give us that" kind of thing. If there was a reliable urine test, it would be implemented without hesitation.

They're called growth hormones because they do play a role in growth, but really only before adulthood. If you pump a teenager full of HGH (terrible) it would increase his final height. Once adulthood is reached, HGH will play a bigger role on metabolism, regulation of fuel usage and that kind of stuff. It does have it's benefits... it improves lean body mass and decreases fat mass. This has an effect on how you look, which is why it's used heavily in bodybuilding. It's muscle stimulation and protein synthesis is different than that caused by work, instead being similar to insulin... So yeah basically it has some anti-catabolic effects (stops breakdown) rather than stimulatory effects (growth).

You'll get a placebo effect and again there's an increase in lean mass%, but the growth just isn't there. At best or worst depending on how you look at it, players taking HGH might be able to stay healthier and play longer. Remaining at or near their peak is the goal, not artificially increasing their peak.

mlh1981
04-06-2010, 08:36 PM
Throw him the high heat and back his ass of the plate. Make him feel uncomfortable.

foxfire123
04-06-2010, 09:18 PM
I've heard people who work at the stadium here say he's not really Mr Nice Guy. He's a diva.

and I think he's not only on *something*, but also older than he claims to be.

But I *seriously* hate the freakin' Cardinals, so I want to think NOTHING good about any of 'em.

FlyerFanatic
04-06-2010, 09:19 PM
Throw him the high heat and back his ass of the plate. Make him feel uncomfortable.

who was it that threw one high yesterday? it wasnt all that in, but pujols kind of backed off, like whoa wtf and i believe the crowd cheered. that was awesome. our pitchers need to back him off the plate more. are pitchers never seem to have the guts to brush people back

mlh1981
04-06-2010, 09:39 PM
who was it that threw one high yesterday? it wasnt all that in, but pujols kind of backed off, like whoa wtf and i believe the crowd cheered. that was awesome. our pitchers need to back him off the plate more. are pitchers never seem to have the guts to brush people back

OK, I remember that now. Need to do that more often. Not just to Pujols, but to other great hitters.

This staff needs some mean, competitive SOB's out there. I don't get the sense that Harang or Arroyo are those type of guys. The other guys are too young.

Really, it's a leaguewide problem. Not enough guys utilize the inside part of the plate.

mlh1981
04-06-2010, 09:42 PM
I've heard people who work at the stadium here say he's not really Mr Nice Guy. He's a diva.

But I *seriously* hate the freakin' Cardinals, so I want to think NOTHING good about any of 'em.

To add to this, I'm sick of the national media, whenever the Cards are on TV, always reminding everyone how "great" the fanbase is.

Sure, they are good fans, but with their success, it's not that big of a suprise that people are as into them as they are. Lets see how they deal with a few losing season.

Also, if they are such wonderful fans, then why was the 2006 at Busch Stadium the quietest World Series I can ever recall?

Hands22
04-06-2010, 10:02 PM
OK, I remember that now. Need to do that more often. Not just to Pujols, but to other great hitters.

This staff needs some mean, competitive SOB's out there. I don't get the sense that Harang or Arroyo are those type of guys. The other guys are too young.

Really, it's a leaguewide problem. Not enough guys utilize the inside part of the plate.

Agreed on the pitching in part. I always liked that when Dick Pole talked, he usually mentioned trying to teach his young pitchers to use the inside. When you have a guys like Volquez and Cueto who can bring the heat and throw the change, the inside of the plate becomes even more important... especially to opposite handed hitters. Pedro went from great to unhittable when he starting throwing inside without much worry.

DaytonFlyer
04-07-2010, 08:08 AM

A friend of mine who was at St. Louis spring training said that Albert acted like a jerk towards him and several other fans.

It brings me great comfort to hear that at times like this.

I agree with the poster who says we need to treat him like Bonds at this point. Give him nothing to hit, even with the bases loaded. I don't care. 1-0 is better than 4-0.

bounty37h
04-07-2010, 01:53 PM

Well, Pujols has always been that big at least, didnt come in little and then blow up. His work ethic is unreal, and mostly unmatched as well. I dont want him to win, as that means we lose, but I am not going to jump on the boo-wagon either until something definitive comes out. He is fun to wathc, uness its beating us. Besides, I have a autogrpahed Bowman rookie of his, which goes ^$ every dinger he gets ;)

mdccclxix
04-07-2010, 02:01 PM
Cueto is the staff stopper of Pujols:

Johnny Cueto .250 /.333 / .375 / .708

Go Johnny 5!

mdccclxix
04-07-2010, 02:02 PM
Well, Pujols has always been that big at least, didnt come in little and then blow up. His work ethic is unreal, and mostly unmatched as well. I dont want him to win, as that means we lose, but I am not going to jump on the boo-wagon either until something definitive comes out. He is fun to wathc, uness its beating us. Besides, I have a autogrpahed Bowman rookie of his, which goes ^$ every dinger he gets ;)

PED's or not, he's always better to boo than not to boo. Certainly, he's done more to hurt the team than the oft-booed Dusty Baker or Harang.

HUHUH
04-19-2010, 10:49 PM

Please. My uncle so accurately refers to Nix as the "musclehead in left". Why would you think Nix is clean? He's clearly abnormal. Griffey I'll reserve judgement on. Let's just not go overboard lauding him for being clean. Wasn't A-Rod the last of that ilk?

And Pujols? No doubt! The guy is a physical freak, and wasn't when he came into the league.

And LaRussa? Well let's see: McGuire and Canseco and Giambi with the A's. McGuire with the Cards. I have never understood why this guy hasn't been shook down by the media. He has been at the controls of teams with multiple "convicted" steroid abusers. And he has never been held to the flame himself?

Let's assume maybe my take on LaRussa is correct. Let's say he has known about/fostered/instigated/looked the other way on steroid users throughout his career. Mark McGuire, Scott Rolen, Jim Edmonds, Is it any big jump to imagine why Dave Duncan has been lauded as such a great pitching coach? We see retreads show up in the LaRussa/Duncan camp, and by suddenly "noticing something about his release point", we have an all-star. Chris Carpenter, Matt Morris, Jason Isringhausen, Dave Stewart, and Dennis Eckersley. Look at the numbers people. Dave Duncan is not a magician.

I am convinced that LaRussa/Duncan bring these guys in, show them the "training regimen", and convert them from has-beens to all-stars.

It's all in a good chemists day.

And I wait for the day that LaRussa is merely asked the question. Dude, you've been around known steroid users your entire career. What is your part?