PDA

View Full Version : Carolina Mudcats roster announced

OnBaseMachine
04-07-2010, 02:21 AM
Pitchers:

Dallas Buck, Tom Cochran, Jesus Delgado, Jerry Gil, Daryl Harang, Matt Klinker, Joseph Krebs, Ruben Medina, Alexander Smit, Jordan Smith, Daryl Thompson, Philippe Valiquette

Catchers:

Chris Denove, Brandon Yarbrough

Infielders:

Yonder Alonso, Jose Castro, Eric Eymann, Jake Kahaulelio, Kris Negron, Logan Parker

Outfielders

Sean Danielson, Sean Henry, Carson Kainer, Denis Phipps

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=t_ros&cid=249

Even though Alonso is listed as an infielder, he supposedly will be playing left field.

muddie
04-07-2010, 06:53 AM
Thanks for the post, I just saw this. Alonso back in Carolina. I really didn't see this coming but it makes sense.

JaxRed
04-07-2010, 07:10 AM
Denove back in AAA is the one that surprises me (since Redsof72 had hinted about the Alonso move)

Take out Alonso, and that is one weak Infield group.

camisadelgolf
04-07-2010, 07:45 AM
If you're a Mudcats fan, this is pretty much the best case scenario you could have expected. Going into the year, it looked like there was a very good argument for guys like Yonder Alonso, Chris Denove, Sean Danielson, Sean Henry, Eric Eymann, Matt Klinker, Joe Krebs, Jordan Smith, Daryl Thompson, et al to be sent to Louisville.

camisadelgolf
04-07-2010, 08:03 AM
What surprises me most is the pitching staff. Where are the older guys going to play if not in Carolina?

Luis Montano - 25 years old; has already succeeded at A+ (and is the cousin of Francisco Cordero)
Misael DeJesus - 25 years old; has already succeeded at A+
Derrik Lutz - had a good year in AA; will turn 25 in about two weeks; has battled injuries
Ramon Geronimo - 26 years old; has already dominated A+
Sean Watson - 24 years old; the way he has pitched lately, he doesn't even deserve a spot on a rookie squad, but his numbers say otherwise
Scott Carroll - 25 years old; has already done very well in A+

CarolinaRedleg
04-07-2010, 10:10 AM
Looks like Alonso's going to be working on a new position while in Carolina....

http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/04/alonso_to_carolina_play_lf.html

lollipopcurve
04-07-2010, 10:35 AM
Iffy crew, and Alonso now has something to prove both offensively and defensively. Kids who take a step forward in Lynchburg will be here in place of guys who stagnate.

Kind of interested in Negron and would love to see Buck be effective and healthy.

bucksfan2
04-07-2010, 11:01 AM

I like it!!!!

Yonder's future with the Reds isn't at 1b. He potentially could help this team in LF if his bat is for real and he beats on Francisco, Frazier, and Heisey.

mace
04-07-2010, 11:28 AM
I wasn't familiar with Jesus Delgado, or how he got to the Reds, but it looks like he's organizational bullpen depth. So I suppose the starting rotation would be Klinker, Buck, Thompson, Cochran and Smit. That would seem to be the strength of the team--along with Smith, Krebs and Valiquette in the pen.

And of course Alonso's bat, which will need protection. Danielson, Henry, Eymann and the catchers should be solid (if unspectacular) players at this level.

But c-golf brings up a great point about the other veteran pitchers. Lynchburg?

Edit: Actually, in looking at the Lynchburg roster as currently constituted, there's no room for these guys. And obviously, there's no room at Louisville. So what's up? I wouldn't expect somebody like Scott Carroll--or, for that matter, any of them--to be released. Maybe some people will suddenly go on the DL. Curious.

11larkin11
04-07-2010, 11:41 AM
Is Smith in the pen for good now? Also, is little Harang a reliever or starter?

dougdirt
04-07-2010, 12:01 PM
I wasn't familiar with Jesus Delgado, or how he got to the Reds, but it looks like he's organizational bullpen depth. So I suppose the starting rotation would be Klinker, Buck, Thompson, Cochran and Smit. That would seem to be the strength of the team--along with Smith, Krebs and Valiquette in the pen.

And of course Alonso's bat, which will need protection. Danielson, Henry, Eymann and the catchers should be solid (if unspectacular) players at this level.

But c-golf brings up a great point about the other veteran pitchers. Lynchburg?

Edit: Actually, in looking at the Lynchburg roster as currently constituted, there's no room for these guys. And obviously, there's no room at Louisville. So what's up? I wouldn't expect somebody like Scott Carroll--or, for that matter, any of them--to be released. Maybe some people will suddenly go on the DL. Curious.

Carroll will be on the DL to start the year. Not sure about the others.

SirFelixCat
04-07-2010, 12:26 PM
I hope that Alonso works out (ie. does well) in LF. Although, you have to believe that at this point, he's trade bait. I just don't see him advancing past JF and Heisey. Hey, I hope he proves me wrong, but ATM, I do think he's behind them and, therefore, bait.

batsfan
04-07-2010, 12:36 PM
So where do these guys play:

Michael Griffin
Chad Reinke
Lee Tabor
Federico Baez
Bill Bray

I dont see how there is any room for them on the Louisville Roster.

camisadelgolf
04-07-2010, 12:50 PM
So where do these guys play:

Michael Griffin
Chad Reinke
Lee Tabor
Federico Baez
Bill Bray

I dont see how there is any room for them on the Louisville Roster.
Last I heard, all those guys are slated for AAA, but there are still some roster moves that have to be made.

Kingspoint
04-07-2010, 06:55 PM

Can't see any other reason for him to be in Carolina.

Walt painted himself into a corner by drafting a player who can only field one position. When you do that, and you're a National League team, you're assuming that everyone ahead of him would fail at 1st Base, or not be good enough to be able to say where they are going to play (apparently Votto has the ability to say where he's going to play).

Should have taken Gordon Beckham, Walt. But, he loves those left-handed power guys when you can get one like Alonso.

They'll turn Alonso into a Manny-esque "serviceable" Left Fielder, and we'll live with that. It will also increase his trade value, if they go that route.

Bottom line: This buys Walt another full season to see what happens with Alonso without having to trade him at a time when his trade value is 1/4th of what it's going to be two years from now.

Kingspoint
04-07-2010, 07:03 PM
Last I heard, all those guys are slated for AAA, but there are still some roster moves that have to be made.

Walt's having some fun.

He's got to be goo-goo gaa-gaa seeing how much talent he has to work with and develop this organization.

Thank you again to the two previous G.M.'s for setting this up, and to Walt for not mortgaging the farm as soon as he got here.

I'd like to see every one of the minor league clubs this season finish above .500 and half of them reach their league's playoffs. We have the talent to get that done.

redsof72
04-07-2010, 08:12 PM
Geronimo and Montano were released.

JaxRed
04-07-2010, 10:34 PM
Geronimo surprises me a bit.

mace
04-07-2010, 10:42 PM
Geronimo surprises me a bit.

Oh yeah. Seems very odd. A career ERA of 2.69. Two years ago, it was 1.93 with 75 K in 65 IP and a WHIP under 1.00. He couldn't match it last year, but still . . . The only rationale I see is that he'd be 26 in AA with a lot of guys lined up ahead of him.

Anybody know anything about Watson?

JayBruceFan
04-07-2010, 11:19 PM
Does anyone have a list of players that have been released?

OnBaseMachine
04-07-2010, 11:48 PM
From C. Trent:

"Once we sent him down, he was predominantly playing in left field in the minor league camp," Jocketty said. "We sent him down (to AA) for a couple of reasons, we're backed up with position players and he didn't have a lot of at-bats at AA last year. I feel like if a guy gets his playing time, it doesn't matter if it's at AA or AAA. Also to concentrate on left field, he's still going to play first base a couple of days a week and left field the rest of the time."

http://cnati.com/cincinnati-reds/pregame-reds-brush-off-cardinal-complaints-001709/

camisadelgolf
04-08-2010, 01:37 AM
Does anyone have a list of players that have been released?
Since when? Here are the ones I can recall in the past few weeks:
Mike Bohana
Enrique Garcia
Hector Santana
Mark Pawelek
Matteo Pizziconi
Stephen Chapman
Greg Dombrowski
Brandon Rice
Jason Bour
Tony Brown
Yen-Wen Kuo
Albert LaBoy
Luis Montano
Ramon Geronimo

And since the end of last season, a few more have been released. Plus there are several free agents who didn't re-sign.

Kingspoint
04-08-2010, 06:46 AM
From C. Trent:

"Once we sent him down, he was predominantly playing in left field in the minor league camp," Jocketty said. "We sent him down (to AA) for a couple of reasons, we're backed up with position players and he didn't have a lot of at-bats at AA last year. I feel like if a guy gets his playing time, it doesn't matter if it's at AA or AAA. Also to concentrate on left field, he's still going to play first base a couple of days a week and left field the rest of the time."

http://cnati.com/cincinnati-reds/pregame-reds-brush-off-cardinal-complaints-001709/

I kind of figured that.

JayBruceFan
04-08-2010, 09:41 AM
Since when? Here are the ones I can recall in the past few weeks:
Mike Bohana
Enrique Garcia
Hector Santana
Mark Pawelek
Matteo Pizziconi
Stephen Chapman
Greg Dombrowski
Brandon Rice
Jason Bour
Tony Brown
Yen-Wen Kuo
Albert LaBoy
Luis Montano
Ramon Geronimo

And since the end of last season, a few more have been released. Plus there are several free agents who didn't re-sign.

I was looking for the guys that were released during spring training

RED VAN HOT
04-08-2010, 04:12 PM
Can anyone comment on Ruben Medina's potential? Two stats jump out at me. He appears to be an extreme ground ball pitcher and his control is atrocious.

Also, I notice Jerry Gil is on the Carolina roster. Can anyone comment on how that experiment is going?

Thanks in advance.

muddie
04-08-2010, 05:00 PM
Can anyone comment on Ruben Medina's potential? Two stats jump out at me. He appears to be an extreme ground ball pitcher and his control is atrocious.

Also, I notice Jerry Gil is on the Carolina roster. Can anyone comment on how that experiment is going?

Thanks in advance.

We're at opening night and many games to follow for the Mudcats. I'll post anything that intriques me.