PDA

View Full Version : I thought Arroyo didn't want to pitch Opening Day because he doesn't like day games?

Blitz Dorsey
04-08-2010, 11:45 AM
Why not pitch Bronson last night and have Cueto going today? From my understanding, Arroyo was approached in spring training by Dusty and was told he earned the Opening Day start due to the way he pitched last year. Arroyo then told Dusty he didn't want to pitch on Opening Day. (I thought it was because Arroyo prefers night games.)

Then instead of dropping from No. 1 to No. 2 in the rotation, Arroyo drops from No. 1 to No. 3? Why not pitch Opening Day if you are going to have to pitch a day game in your first start anyway?

It really doesn't matter, I was just thinking about it and was curious. Or maybe Arroyo didn't want to pitch on Opening Day because of the circus atmosphere (in which case I would question his competitiveness ... although I think he's extremely competitive). Either way, it doesn't make any sense that Arroyo didn't pitch in the second game. He pitches better in night games, he was offered the Opening Day start and turned it down (for whatever reason). If he didn't pitch on OD he should have pitched in the second game. Or maybe Dusty was like, "OK, you don't want to pitch on Opening Day ... you'll pitch on Opening Business Day Special three days later."

Doesn't make any sense though. If Arroyo was going to pitch a day game anyway, why not just make it Opening Day? And why in the world would a pitcher turn down the opportunity to pitch Opening Day in Cincinnati? Very strange all the way around.

redsfan30
04-08-2010, 11:47 AM
He said the Harang was better suited to handle the hoopla of Opening Day because he'd been there, done that.

Blitz Dorsey
04-08-2010, 11:48 AM
He said the Harang was better suited to handle the hoopla of Opening Day because he'd been there, done that.

Dusty should have told him, "That's all well and good. And by the way, you're the starter on Opening Day."

Blitz Dorsey
04-08-2010, 11:50 AM
That's almost like saying, "Nah, I'd prefer to not pitch in the World Series. Too much hoopla." Or, "All Star Game? I'd rather be fishing. Too much hoopla."

bucksfan2
04-08-2010, 11:55 AM
Dusty should have told him, "That's all well and good. And by the way, you're the starter on Opening Day."

Why? Does it really matter? I myself thought it was somewhat ironic that Arroyo is pitching his first game during the day but thats it. To question his competitive nature because he didn't want to pitch opening day is wrong. Were talking about a guy who would take the ball every 4th day if the Reds let him.

Blitz Dorsey
04-08-2010, 12:00 PM
Why? Does it really matter? I myself thought it was somewhat ironic that Arroyo is pitching his first game during the day but thats it. To question his competitive nature because he didn't want to pitch opening day is wrong. Were talking about a guy who would take the ball every 4th day if the Reds let him.

I think it's strange at best. Who cares if Harang has been there and done that? If the manager thinks Pitcher A is the best pitcher and should pitch on Opening Day, whoever Pitcher A is should be on the mound Opening Day.

Is it a big deal? No. It is strange? Absolutely.

"Nah, I'd rather not make the playoffs. Then I'd have to pitch in the playoffs and the playoffs have too much hoopla. I'd rather pitch Thursday regular season games in front of 15,000 fans."

bucksfan2
04-08-2010, 12:04 PM
I think it's strange at best. Who cares if Harang has been there and done that? If the manager thinks Pitcher A is the best pitcher and should pitch on Opening Day, whoever Pitcher A is should be on the mound Opening Day.

Is it a big deal? No. It is strange? Absolutely.

"Nah, I'd rather not make the playoffs. Then I'd have to pitch in the playoffs and the playoffs have too much hoopla. I'd rather pitch Thursday regular season games in front of 15,000 fans."

Arroyo has pitched in the Playoffs so I don't think that would be a big deal.

I see this as something similar to a 6th man in basketball. The guy may be in your top 2-3 players but he likes to come off the bench more that starting.

Blitz Dorsey
04-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Maybe Arroyo was just trying to pump up his friend Harang. Didn't feel right about taking the OD start from him after Harang has had it for 4 years now.

Again, it's not a big deal, but we're just talking about baseball on a message board. I found it odd. You would think a Reds pitcher would DIE to land the Opening Day start. Very weird. Especially for a competitive guy like Arroyo.

Big Klu
04-08-2010, 12:54 PM
Dusty also said he wants to stagger the two veteran starters (Harang and Arroyo) in the rotation, so that the two youngsters (Cueto and Bailey) don't have to pitch back-to-back.

reds44
04-09-2010, 04:19 AM
Dusty also said he wants to stagger the two veteran starters (Harang and Arroyo) in the rotation, so that the two youngsters (Cueto and Bailey) don't have to pitch back-to-back.
I bought this for a little while, until you think about what the Reds are doing this weekend.

The first four games line up:
Harang
Cueto
Arroyo
Bailey

makes sense splitting up the kids with the old folks, until you put Leake in.

Harang
Leake
Cueto
Arroyo
Bailey

Kids are going to be pitching back to back no matter how you split it.

GAC
04-09-2010, 05:15 AM
I guess Bronson blew that personal theory about pitching day games away yesterday didn't he? ;)

I posted this on another thread concerning this situation....

And that's pretty much it as far as I'm concerned. We threw a guy out there that hasn't even be close to being a #4 or #5 starter for the last couple of years vs their #1, while our 15 game winner sat the bench because he's not a fan of day games, really has no desire to be the #1 starter, and wanted to instead sit back and enjoy the festivities of the Opening Day....

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100303&content_id=8658692&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

When I read that several weeks ago it kinda pee'd me off. He's not interested in being the Red's #1 starter? Well gee Bronson, I'm sorry, but last year you were. So did you soak in and enjoy all the festivities yesterday Bronson? And he's not even pitching on Wednesday, but is scheduled to start the day game on Thursday. What's the logic in that? :rolleyes:

Big Klu
04-09-2010, 07:34 AM
I bought this for a little while, until you think about what the Reds are doing this weekend.

The first four games line up:
Harang
Cueto
Arroyo
Bailey

makes sense splitting up the kids with the old folks, until you put Leake in.

Harang
Leake
Cueto
Arroyo
Bailey

Kids are going to be pitching back to back no matter how you split it.

So you want three kids pitching back-to-back-to-back? That could put a lot of stress on the bullpen.

Hoosier Red
04-09-2010, 12:32 PM
I don't understand the anger or annoyance at this. Opening Day is a big day for all sorts of different reasons than the playoffs or world series. Arroyo didn't even say that he didn't want to pitch on it. When the decision was made, he said he'd be able to enjoy all the hoopla more because he didn't have to concentrate on pitching.

Ultimately it makes no difference. If Arroyo's 8 innings and 1 run gives you a better chance on Opening Day, than Harang's 5 innings and 4 runs eliminates your chances yesterday.

In either case you're 1-2.

Strikes Out Looking
04-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Another thing, Bronson prefers pitching to Hanigan--Hanigan wasn't going to start opening day.

WebScorpion
04-11-2010, 12:58 AM
I was under the impression he'd said Aaron wants it (the OD start) and deserves it...and he said that to a member of the media, not the manager. I was unaware he was asked to pitch OD by the manager...I don't think he really has an option there. The skipper rules the roost. I really think the sequence is to try to keep Arroyo and Leake from pitching back-to-back...I think they pitch with similar strategies and stuff.

paulrichjr
04-11-2010, 12:48 PM
Arroyo is just "different". I honestly believe that he didn't want to make a bid deal out of it simply because he respects his teammate Aaron Harang. Dusty said at RedsFest that a decision had not been made BUT Harang would probably start it because it is a bigger deal to him than it is Arroyo.